• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    full-sized P80 cut down to G26 grip size. Only took about an hour once I finally freed up some time to commit to doing it.

I think it looks pretty decent. Still retains proportions, doesn't look nearly as stupid as it sounds (until you add a 17L slide, at least)

I'm really impressed with these P80's. I've built many of them of them, and once you understand the tweaks and fitting process, you can turn out a pistol that is 100% reliable, every time. My first P80 "test mule" probably has about 4,000 rounds through it by now (I use it to break-in new slides for other builds) and it doesn't show any wear at all.

And the strength of the components themselves us superior to those found in the Glock frame. When you look at the rails and locking block insert of the P80 next to those of a Glock, it's quite a shocking difference how much more substantial the P80 rails and block are.

https://imgur.com/0ostXmr

https://imgur.com/kuFZgtu

https://imgur.com/zHD46lk

https://imgur.com/Hq9eccS

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Very cool craftsmanship :thumbsup:

I’m rather fond of the phrase “maximum proportional absurdity” :D

Yeah, it still looks pretty normal with a standard barrel, but once you put the 17L barrel on it, it loses all pretense of being normal looking, and quickly veers into comical.

Really though, this thing makes so much sense I don't understand why it's not just a factory model from the start.

The new 19X is just the opposite, so there's Tom in the line up for a little flavor.

Thing is, I actually prefer the P80s for a variety of reasons.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Looks good. I did something similar with the 19 size when they first came out, chopped 19 to 26 size grip

Attachments

• AB6F9DB5-EE41-4811-ADA1-05784FE3A3CC.jpg
      AB6F9DB5-EE41-4811-ADA1-05784FE3A3CC.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 752

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    OP, did you texture the grip frame

No, actually the frame was already textured, and I removed it around the margins of the new mag well to give it a more finished appearance. I also removed it from the last .25" of the backstrap and rounded the cut area to feel better against the palm of my hand.

Frankly, I didn't want to use one of my better lowers for this because I wasn't entirely sure I would be able to pull it off with acceptable results.

And now that it's done, i probably won't be doing any more of mine, because I'm very pleased with how this one turned out.

I was prepared to sacrifice it if it went badly, but that wasn't the case.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Great job, I like the longer sight radius. I don’t understand glock with their 19x, they did it backwards in my opinion.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Looks good. I did something similar with the 19 size when they first came out, chopped 19 to 26 size grip

That's sweet.

I wish I'd been able to use a straight cut mag well profile like that, but that wasn't to be the case in mine. I basically just duplicated the profile from the P80SC frame and went with that. The front of the magwell was quite tedious to form. But MagPul PMAG GL9 12 rounders fit it like a glove, and all of my P80's use MagPul GL9 mags, so it all works out in the end.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Great job, I like the longer sight radius. I don’t understand glock with their 19x, they did it backwards in my opinion.

Thanks. Same here, I don't see the point of a short barrel and long grip. I mean, it makes for capacity, yes, but if you're going to have a full size grip sticking out, you may as well have a full sized slide and barrel, too. You've given up any advantage of the compactness of a 19 by sticking a 17 grip under it, so what's the point?

Mine, on the other hand, with a 26 grip and 17 slide, disappears into the front pocket of my wrangler jeans. Can't do that with a regular 17.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Yeah, it still looks pretty normal with a standard barrel, but once you put the 17L barrel on it, it loses all pretense of being normal looking, and quickly veers into comical.

Really though, this thing makes so much sense I don't understand why it's not just a factory model from the start.

The new 19X is just the opposite, so there's Tom in the line up for a little flavor.

Thing is, I actually prefer the P80s for a variety of reasons.

As do I:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom