• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Was watching the grandkids in Hollywood MD. One of them told me there was a snake in the yard. Used a piece of steel pipe to crush it’s head. I didn’t measure it but it was the single biggest copperhead I have ever seen in my life.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Moved to Calvert Co last year all my neighbors have copperhead storys.
    Found one 3 feet form outside steps 2 months ago. On July 2 our dog was bite on face.
    Went to emergency vet she fine now but there was another dog bit in the leg also.
    Vet said she sees 25 to 30 dog bite by copperheads every year.
    Then found out their against the law to kill!

Guess I'm just a criminal at heart. :shrug:

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Found one 3 feet form outside steps 2 months ago. On July 2 our dog was bite on face.
    Went to emergency vet she fine now but there was another dog bit in the leg also.

SSS
    :innocent0

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md

As a general rule Copperhead bites are not fatal to dogs -I have had Rabbit Beagles for better that 50 years BUTT if a dog is bitten by a Rattlesnake 99% of the time it is FATAL

Jim

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    As a general rule Copperhead bites are not fatal to dogs -I have had Rabbit Beagles for better that 50 years BUTT if a dog is bitten by a Rattlesnake 99% of the time it is FATAL

Jim

My beagle was bitten square on her nose. She swelled up and looked like a boxer. She also survived but was not happy for a couple days.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    Today on the way home.

Attachments

• 20180727_163355.jpg
      20180727_163355.jpg
      279.2 KB · Views: 442

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016

My neighbor in Lusby had a dog bit twice by the same Copperhead a few days ago. This is the 2nd time her dogs have been bit at $700 per vet visit. Mine got bit 4 years ago. Both swelled up but recovered. I have been seeing a lot of copperheads and black snakes the last few years. The blacks get a pass and are welcome around the place, the Coppers get lead poisoning.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    Where was that taken, big snake

Catoctin Hollow Road in Thurmont.

That one was only about 36 to 40 inches. You should see how fat the big ones are. The heads of the big ones look like they mean business. Last summer in almost the same spot I saw the biggest one I saw in MD. It was 50 plus inches and just fat.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I mostly grew up in a part of Kentucky that has a lot of Copperheads. I've always loved animals and nature, something my parents encouraged. I learned not to pick up garter snakes at a young age due to not wanting to get their musk all over me. Well one day when we had just moved to Kentucky, I found some neat small snakes that definitely were not garter snakes or rattlesnakes (the only venomous snake where we were coming from), so I started trying to catch them. Imagine my mother's surprise to find me in the shed trying to pin down and catch a couple baby copperheads with a Y tree branch. They had been lazy about educating me about dangerous Flora and fauna in our new AO up to that point. They fixed that pretty quick after that . . .

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Catoctin Hollow Road in Thurmont.

That one was only about 36 to 40 inches. You should see how fat the big ones are. The heads of the big ones look like they mean business. Last summer in almost the same spot I saw the biggest one I saw in MD. It was 50 plus inches and just fat.

I sometimes park my car at the prohibited pull-off / turnaround where the blue-blaze Catoctin Trail crosses that road, then the creek, before heading up the mountain to Bob's Hill and the copperhead-laden rocky overlooks there...just West of the junction with RTE15. Very snakey indeed and one disturbed my planned romantic picnic there once rattling at me and almost making me pi$$ myself with fear trying to get away from it. Timbers are scarier but Coppers will practically let you step on them before then biting you. :ohnoes:

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    We get quite a few rattlesnakes were our camp is in central pa. Had a yellow phase last year. We usually don’t bother them unless they r close to camp. This copperhead got under my tire at 8:30 this morning heading to town

Attachments

• 1FB6E894-62CB-4CF4-8015-D2C130FD2560.jpg
      1FB6E894-62CB-4CF4-8015-D2C130FD2560.jpg
      126.4 KB · Views: 415

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I grew up just north of Cumberland and spent my childhood in the late '70s and 80's all over the surrounding hills. In that time I saw exactly one rattlesnake. I gave it a wide berth and moved on.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Didn't know they left. Have seen a few around rocky outcroppings. Usually on high ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom