• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think that this pretty well sums it up:

https://www.pagunblog.com/2018/02/21/the-bump-stock-issue-never-went-away/

NRA called for a bump stock ban because in Congress, the votes were there to pass one, and all the Congressional bills I saw on the topic were overly broad and sucked. They would have made any gunsmithing work on a semi-automatic firearm legally risky, and that’s before you get into the multitudes of constructive possession issues.

So what do you do? Call on ATF to undertake rule making, where you can control the process under a friendly administration, and make sure whatever comes out is narrowly worded. Also, since it’s regulation, rather than law, it’s much easier to change.

So that was the choice: a bump stock ban that swept in a lot other ordinary and legal activity, and a bump stock ban that was just a bump stock ban, and was regulation rather than law. There are no other options. Don’t like that? Then you’re left replacing many of the squishy Republicans. But you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone running for office in this country willing to stand up and shout, “Yay for machine guns,” let alone win on it. And if you challenge all the squishy Republicans and lose? You’re done. Finished. Bump stocks ain’t a hill I’m dying on, and trust me, it is a hill you’ll die on.

I posted nearly the whole thing. This is the reality of the situation.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    "job" is their disguise. Career maybe but in reality its their mission. They are an army of communist progressives and their mission is to destroy the 2A so they can then destroy the Constitution. They have infiltrated every aspect of government and the courts. The only way to turn the tide is to acknowledge and treat it like the war on democracy that it is, indite and prosecute these violators in a military tribunal for acts of war against America, Its Constitution and We the People.....other than that, only chaos, war and bloodshed can right this great ship called America.

For someone suggesting we start a civil war over the constitution, your post implies that you really don't know much about it. There are at least 3 different sections of the constitution that are straight out violated by thing things talked about in your post. :sad20:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It has been in the works for some time. It is just a matter of time before the process is complete and the ATF redefines machine guns to include bump stocks and perhaps other 'rapid fire trigger activators'.

Some of us may be within MD law for a while, but I fear before 10/19, we will have a new definition and it will then be Federal law.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If ATF bans them by regulation, could the courts be brought into play on the constitutional issue involved?

No doubt someone will "volunteer" to be the test case.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Maybe they will create a way for us to apply to the ATF to keep our currently owned property in a grandfather clause. Then we could actually abide by MD law!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Maybe they will create a way for us to apply to the ATF to keep our currently owned property in a grandfather clause. Then we could actually abide by MD law!

That'd be sweet, but Trump can't go there until 2021. Meanwhile he has to suck the life out of the far Left, and starve them for 2A soundbites.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

Legally, they can't.

Here's the situation. One of the provisions of the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (inserted under dubious conditions, BTW) banned the manufacture of machine guns for sale to private citizens. The bump stocks, etc., are rule-beating gimmicks.

Now, the definition of "machinegun" is laid down in 26 USC Section 5845. Bump stocks don't meet it. And ATF has issued written opinions to that effect.

Which means that a "reinterpertation" of that definition is liable to challenge in court. Also, it opens up the massive question of the legal status of any bump stock. Under the MG manufacture ban, they are contraband - except that the purchasers bought them in good faith from manufacturers who had inquired about their status from ATF.

I think this leaves four possible options:

1. A bump stock ban goes to court and is ruled inconsistent with Federal law.
    2. A bump stock ban goes to court, is ruled consistent with Federal law. In which case there will be a legal fight over compensation to be paid.
    3. ATF uses the amnesty power of the National Firearms Act of 1934 to allow the bump stocks to be registered as MGs. In which case there is a legal fight over whether or not this is consistent with the MG manufacture ban.
    4. Congress acts through legislation. My bet is that ATF would strongly prefer this option, they are in a world of hurt otherwise.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    There really is no resolution to this that doesn't involve expensive lawsuits other than Congress changing the law to grandfather existing bump stocks. And given what's happened to the Hearing Protection Act and the CCW reciprocity bill under a R majority, and the likelihood of a D takeover of the House in November, Congressional action isn't likely.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Maybe because there were only 2 in Vermont?

Are these things that ubiquitous?

If MD has one of these amnesty days, I'm turning in a belt loop...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom