• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Any theories on what causes it? Bullet type? Bullet speed? My personal theory is its blood vaporized/cooked when the animal is hit.

Yes I know being shot...before any wisenheimers smart off.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I am not sure what you are referrng to regardng your question.

Are you referring to the bubbly blood that collects around the wound under the skin of a dead animal?

That would be a massive bruise/hemorrhage caused by the trauma of the bullet breaking skin and tearing flesh and the associated hydrostatic shock.

I honestly try to shoot meat deer in the head due to this and the resulting damaged meat.

I have seen this in every deer I have shot whether it was a bullet from one of my revolvers, or a rifle, or muzzleloader or shotgun.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Wisenheimer

wis·en·heim·er /ˈwīzənˌhīmər/

noun informal plural noun: wisenheimers

a person who behaves in an irritatingly smug or arrogant fashion, typically by making clever remarks and displaying their knowledge.

None of those guys left here, HvyMax and Somdshoot have been banned.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Wisenheimer

wis·en·heim·er /ˈwīzənˌhīmər/

noun informal plural noun: wisenheimers

a person who behaves in an irritatingly smug or arrogant fashion, typically by making clever remarks and displaying their knowledge.

None of those guys left here, HvyMax and Somdshoot have been banned.

theres still a few left...:lol2:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I am not sure what you are referrng to regardng your question.

Are you referring to the bubbly blood that collects around the wound under the skin of a dead animal?

That would be a massive bruise/hemorrhage caused by the trauma of the bullet breaking skin and tearing flesh and the associated hydrostatic shock.

I honestly try to shoot meat deer in the head due to this and the resulting damaged meat.

I have seen this in every deer I have shot whether it was a bullet from one of my revolvers, or a rifle, or muzzleloader or shotgun.

That's part of it...the dark blood is what Im referring to...Ive had and seen the same on a bow shot.

I was just wondering about the dark blood in between the layers of different muscle groups. One friend of mine says its "burned/cooked" blood which obviously isn't any good. The meat in most cases is salvageable for ground but you have to scrape that dark blood out. Ive shot one in the lungs/liver and there was the "bloodshot/dark blood" in the shoulder area in between the muscles. the meat wasn't damaged but a lot of "burned blood". Like a couple of you said hydrostatic damage...sounds good.:D

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    LOL don't head shoot if it's an animal you want mounted!

I'm guessing hydrostatic shock causes the jelly looking stuff. I just cut that out and give to the dogs to eat if no bone frag is in it.

Maybe asking Teratos? He's a doctor and surely spent time in the ER in his intern years. If he spent it in a Baltimore ER, he saw bullet wounds...

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Here's my theory - the shock of the bullet impact stretches tissue so much, that the capillaries cannot stretch enough, and break open, spilling blood into the surrounding tissue. Similar to what happens when you get a bruise from an impact, but on a much more severe level.

(Note - I'm not a Holiday Inn Express, but I did sleep on a doctor.)

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    hydrostatic shock! even bloodcells explode from it. that is waht you are seeing,a whole lot of dead exploded bloodcells and hemoglobin and endoplasmic reticulilm and all kinds of fun shit with long words we havent seen since 9th grade biology!

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Ever notice how sometimes you heart shoot a deer and it drops right there, and other times it runs 100+ yds before going down?

US Army did a bunch of tests back in the '40s, I believe, with beagles.
    If you shoot the heart when it's full of blood, hydrostatic shock causes severe disruption of CNS.
    If you hit it when empty, no such effect.

LOL, I know this has nothing to do with OP's question, but since folks were tossing phrase around, thought I'd throw it out there.

I've seen big areas of bloodshot meat with all types of projectiles, but not real ugly unless you hit bone.

I always try to lay it right behind shoulder if I can: biggest margin for error there: seen two deer with jaws shattered over the years due to "headshots" gone wrong.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ever notice how sometimes you heart shoot a deer and it drops right there, and other times it runs 100+ yds before going down?

If you shoot the heart when it's full of blood, hydrostatic shock causes severe disruption of CNS.

LOL, I know this has nothing to do with OP's question, but since folks were tossing phrase around, thought I'd throw it out there.

I've seen big areas of bloodshot meat with all types of projectiles, but not real ugly unless you hit bone.

I always try to lay it right behind shoulder if I can: biggest margin for error there: seen two deer with jaws shattered over the years due to "headshots" gone wrong.

I had a deer in MD shot right through the heart and ran up a hill bout 35yds and kick it...also shot a buck at 23yds drop dead in its tracks with a lung shot...its always something different every shot.

Ive never gone for a headshot on a deer...I also don't like shoulder shots...I prefer right behind the shoulder in the heart lung liver area...

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Ive never gone for a headshot on a deer...I also don't like shoulder shots...I prefer right behind the shoulder in the heart lung liver area...

:clap: This. I don't have an answer, I think it's also the hydrostatic thingy. :D

I had a small deer that needed a second shot to nail it. First shot hit low. It was a a slight quarterering towards as it came back up the hill to me. It hit the shoulder blade, which then angled the bullet up and blew out a big chunk of the spine. About 2 inch diameter hole. This was a 150 grain 30-06 at about 30 yds. Bullets do some strange things.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    The worse I have ever seen was on a hog via 17 Remington with a 4500 FPS custom load. Hardly even made a bruise on the meat but the heart and part of the lungs where just mush.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    +1 Hydrostatic shock

It's this ^^^

The hydrostatic shock causes a much larger wound channel than the caliber of the bullet (projectile) would indicate. For a split second any round with an expanding bullet can cause a wound channel much larger than even the expanded (mushroomed) bullet diameter which then collapses back to just somewhat greater than the diameter of the expanded bullet. (also happens with a non-expanding bullet - but to a much lesser extent partly because the diameter of the bullet doesn't increase. The greater the diameter of the bullet, the faster the round decelerates which means that the energy loss of the bullet due to deceleration is greater with an expanded bullet. That energy, bled off from the round, is what determines how large the wound channel is expanded. The more energy left in the animal, the more traumatic the wound. That 'bloodshot' look is just the clotted blood from the temporarily expanded wound channel that is due to the extreme trauma via the hydrostatic shock. Hopefully, I've made some sense with this

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom