• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Bought a used rifled slug barrel for my Mossberg 500 a few months ago for deer hunting. Shot way low at 40 yards even with rear sight maxed out in elevation. Tried both a receiver-mounted rail and saddle mount for a scope...still shoots way too low even with scope elevation maxed out.

Frustrated, I bought an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Saturday and put a Nikon Slug Hunter on it after reading reviews about both. Sighted in today with Hornady SST slugs. Ugly as sin and kicks like a mule but wow is it accurate! So accurate I need a 200 yard range to practice on (closest one is only 100 yards). Ballistics put this round at just under 1200 ft lbs of energy and still supersonic at 200 yards which I think is plenty for deer.

30 Nov can't get here soon enough...got picked for a management hunt that day at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center and hopefully the deer will be out and about!

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Mine doesn't kick that bad. It's so damn heavy, it takes most of the recoil away. I'm shooting Hornady SST's also, but in the 2 3/4" variety. Where I hunt, there really is no need for the 3" mag.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Bought a used rifled slug barrel for my Mossberg 500 a few months ago for deer hunting. Shot way low at 40 yards even with rear sight maxed out in elevation. Tried both a receiver-mounted rail and saddle mount for a scope...still shoots way too low even with scope elevation maxed out.

Frustrated, I bought an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Saturday and put a Nikon Slug Hunter on it after reading reviews about both. Sighted in today with Hornady SST slugs. Ugly as sin and kicks like a mule but wow is it accurate! So accurate I need a 200 yard range to practice on (closest one is only 100 yards). Ballistics put this round at just under 1200 ft lbs of energy and still supersonic at 200 yards which I think is plenty for deer.

30 Nov can't get here soon enough...got picked for a management hunt that day at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center and hopefully the deer will be out and about!

Wow ! at only 40 yards ?

What kind of slugs were you shooting ?

What was the barrel length ?

You have me curious. Did you buy a 12 gauge or a 20 Gauge H&R ?

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Yep...for 40 yard qualification shots I had to aim at the upper left corner of an imaginary square around the paper plate they had me shoot at to get them into the middle of the plate. Was using Hornady SSTs but have tried others with similar results. This was with open rifle sights on what I think is an older 24 inch Mossberg factory rifled barrel.

The new H&R is a 12 gauge. Thought about the 20 ga version or possibly the Savage 220 but decided to go save some money and go with 12 ga. It's probably overkill for deer but I'd feel confident with this thing against any game in North America at 100 yards or less :)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yep...for 40 yard qualification shots I had to aim at the upper left corner of an imaginary square around the paper plate they had me shoot at to get them into the middle of the plate. Was using Hornady SSTs but have tried others with similar results. This was with open rifle sights on what I think is an older 24 inch Mossberg factory rifled barrel.

The new H&R is a 12 gauge. Thought about the 20 ga version or possibly the Savage 220 but decided to go save some money and go with 12 ga. It's probably overkill for deer but I'd feel confident with this thing against any game in North America at 100 yards or less :)

Got ya. No, 12 gauge isn't overkill. I was just curious. I do own the Rossi 20 Ga slug gun and talk a bout a super accurate little ( $169.00 ) slug gun. I tried sabot slugs in this thing and them Hornady, the cheapest ones on the shelf, would not group to save their ass at 50 yards. I gave up on all sabot slugs due to price and now cast and reload my own for 12 and 20 gauge. I can group 2' at 50 yards with my reloaded casts an since they don't make the Remington BuckHammers any longer I will use the Muzzleloader for longer field shots. I don't let my Rossi out of my sight though ever.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I have the exact same setup in 20 ga. and with the lighter barrel. I agree that it is not my most prized tool but it gives me confidence to take long shots (for shotgun) and has put lots of meat in my freezer and the FHFH freezer. My biggest gripe is the blob of wood that is the stock at the wrist. I think I will try my hand at some light contour customizing and checkering with it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    i have the H and R ultra slug with the thumb hole stock in 20 gauge and its laminated. love it to death
    and its deadly acurate

You just can't beat the H&R 20 gauge topped with a Nikon Pro-staff for deer inside of 80 yards.

My best accuracy comes from Remington Copper Solids. 300 grains of pure Bambi devistation.

30 yard death-runs only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom