• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    Goose Hunting Guided Hunts

We will be hunting several farms in Frederick Co. for resident late goose season. Most locations shooting over water decoyed near crops// they love to land in water. Everything provided for hunt, decoys blinds, calling. We rotate locations often. 150.00 per gun ½ off if you don't shoot- rarely does that happen except with weather. Usually done by 10:30am. Prefer groups of 3 to 4, can schedule a day to take singles as a group of 3. Picture is me with Scott from Scotts gunsmithing (long time friend and hunting buddy), PM me for info

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/gee3.jpg/]
    gee3.jpg
    [/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Very nice. There's more Geese on the tailgate than I think I have seen all year down here in So MD. I'm setting here now waiting on the 16th to get here so I can go out and see what happens.

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    Thanks,, That was last year, seeing a lot of them flying here and in fields. We usually have a lot here because of the agriculture. The ponds help, since they would rather land on water, and go into a field- than hit the ground running,

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Thanks,, That was last year, seeing a lot of them flying here and in fields. We usually have a lot here because of the agriculture. The ponds help, since they would rather land on water, and go into a field- than hit the ground running,

Most of my game plan here in Western Charles County relies on the other hunters running them to me from the Potomac River and the Mattawoman Creek. Once I hear them start shooting in the morning I know it's time for me to get serious. It's a never fail plan.

The early Resident season was a bust because the Geese never started flying over in numbers until a week after the season ended and the farmer who leases the fields at the farm was at all of the county fairs showing his livestock and never got the Wheat cut off the fields until late this year. However, this season should be excellent come the 16th.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I drove up to Long Island last weekend and saw all of one group of 20 geese along the Jersey turnpike. Not entirely promising, but some cold weather will get them moving down here.

Let me see what I have for goose hunting pics. Alright, I could spend all day posting pics. lol Most of those are Frederick and Washington counties, but I also hunt Howard County.

Attachments

• Geese1.jpg
      Geese1.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 235
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      99 KB · Views: 228
    • MDShooters.JPG
      MDShooters.JPG
      83.4 KB · Views: 230
    • DSC00002.jpg
      DSC00002.jpg
      98 KB · Views: 227

orionstrident

Nov 11, 2013
    Excited got the decoys ready just trying to figure out which spot will be the most promising and produce. Public can be cut throat. Open to suggestions! I have been seeing consistent flocks flying over UMBC near Baltimore and saw one huge 20+ group on the south river last weekend.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Excited got the decoys ready just trying to figure out which spot will be the most promising and produce. Public can be cut throat. Open to suggestions! I have been seeing consistent flocks flying over UMBC near Baltimore and saw one huge 20+ group on the south river last weekend.

The best chance is to find what field they are in the day before and then setting up in that field the next morning, or as close to that field as possible.

Another alternative is to figure out where they are roosting and catch them on the way back to the water. Thing is, you cannot shoot them too often where they roost or they will find another place to roost. I used to hunt a couple fields where the ponds they roosted on were a sanctuary. We never shot them on the ponds, but waited for them to come out into the fields to feed. It worked out really, really well.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Probably a dumb question here, but that's a bunch o' birds. What do you do with all of those geese? Eat them? Donate them? Are there places that process and freeze them? :confused:

Somehow, somebody usually takes them home to do what they want with them. For instance, last winter I killed a couple on the eastern shore and offered them to the renter on the farm. He was out of a job and he gladly took them. He would have taken a deer if I had one to offer.

I usually breast out the birds and make jerky with them. I use 4 breasts per batch of jerky. Anything that is left over is put in the freezer. My mom called me last month asking me when I was going to make jerky again because she could not stand the store bought mush that she had just bought. A batch of jerky doesn't last me a week.

Somebody also posted a recipe for goose breast on here. Essentially, one can of Campbell's cream of mushroom per breast in a slow cooker for 12 hours. I'm going to give that a try. If it does not work out with whole breasts, I will try slicing the breasts up and going that route.

Life is completely different between city living and country living. Killed 3 deer one day and they were already claimed before I could drag them out of the field. Some people feed their family on deer and other game they kill. Hard for most city people to understand that.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Got a farm ready to go in centerville on the shore and the farmer is going to call me to let me know if its worth my time.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Got a farm ready to go in centerville on the shore and the farmer is going to call me to let me know if its worth my time.

There is usually a good amount of geese in the Centreville area. I had to drive over to Centreville a couple winters for some court cases I had over there and I was seeing geese all over the place. The 2 a day limit is tough for that amount of driving, but such is life. Better to drive and hunt than not to hunt at all.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Well, I'd be interested in tagging along sometime. I'm in Frederick County. Plenty of the things around here.

Most of those pics I posted are from Frederick and Washington County. The geese love to roost on the Potomac and move out around 8:00 to 8:30 in the morning. If you are around the Potomac in Frederick County, I am sure you are seeing plenty of them.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've got my decoys ready to go and I have four boxes of Steel reloads ready and waiting. Looks like Saturday may be a good day. If nothing else I can knock a few Crows out of the sky.

DON'T FORGET...

NOVEMBER 16TH & 17TH, 2013

SATURDAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE 2
    DAY YOUTH FIREARMS DEER SEASON.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    what primers did you use for the steel shot shells?:lol2:
    I've got my decoys ready to go and I have four boxes of Steel reloads ready and waiting. Looks like Saturday may be a good day. If nothing else I can knock a few Crows out of the sky.

DON'T FORGET...

NOVEMBER 16TH & 17TH, 2013

SATURDAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE 2
    DAY YOUTH FIREARMS DEER SEASON.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads