• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm heading to the farm this morning for a little Crow Bustin' R&R. Going to scope out the Goose situation and put out some Corn. Get a couple stands ready for some visitor Deer hunters this season. Probably won't catch anything but a cold.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The Crows were off the hook this morning. They got started late at about 7:30AM and I finally threw in the towel about 9:00AM. They were coming in from the SW constantly and coming in groups of 2, 4, 5 at a time. Most of them stayed to the far SW of the main field, but, there were a few curious ones that never got to report back.

I only got three this morning and most of the fly-bys were hard headed and didn't want to play my game, My 12 Ga. 2-3/4" #5 Copper Plated reloads struck lightning again. The old Mossberg 500 performed flawlessly as usual and I was on my game this morning. Excellent morning.

I got to watch a small buck of some sort running all over the field at 6:30 this morning with his snot holes to the ground looking for love, That ding dong had no idea I was getting right there on the edge of the field on my old black milk crate watching him. He got as close at 50 yards and never gave me a glance. All over that wide open field he'd run and stop.

In other news I never saw or heard a single Goose and that way my primary reason for going to the farm this morning. Anyway it was an excellent morning hunt and beautiful sunrise. Here's my birds for the day.

Attachments

• CROWS NOVEMBER 15, 2013.jpg
      CROWS NOVEMBER 15, 2013.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 74

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Good job, been seeing more and more last few days, or maybe I'm just SEEING more.
    Need to get after them soon..

Gander crow decoy deal, if for real, still on.
    Plus, FREE shipping, or was last week (FedEx brought 2 8' boxes the other day!!)

(BEST crow decoy I ever used was a scattered bag of KFC debris out in the snow)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Good job, been seeing more and more last few days, or maybe I'm just SEEING more.
    Need to get after them soon..

Gander crow decoy deal, if for real, still on.
    Plus, FREE shipping, or was last week (FedEx brought 2 8' boxes the other day!!)

(BEST crow decoy I ever used was a scattered bag of KFC debris out in the snow)

I see you hunt City Crows too. LOL

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I think someone already mentioned the huge flocks that used to roost along 301 in Waldorf 25-30 years ago.

Let's just say my spot was in their flight path and they KNEW what KFC was!

yep I remember bringing up the Waldorf thing not too long ago.

I'm the guy in Ripley, who shoots the Crows from Marbury, that are flying to La Plata, for breakfast. :D

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    You eat crows for breakfast??

You are hardcore!:D

The only time I can put them on the ground is first light to about 8:30AM after that Crow hunting is done for the day. You have small two hour spot where they are worth hunting. After 9AM you just go back home. I've tried that afternoon Crow hunting and that's just useless. They don't even concern themselves with calling or decoys when they are heading to roost.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    We used to shoot mostly afternoons.

Waldorf gets much worse, and we'll be able to shoot again right on 301 and no one will notice!

Yes sir afternoons would be great for a situation where you are catching them at roosting locations. Crows over here on the western side roost down around Nanjemoy / Marbury, so, they don't much care what happens in Ripley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom