• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    Got a chance to go on a managed Goose Hunt in Tuckahoe State Park on the Eastern Shore.

I've never been, but always wanted to....now's my chance.

I'll be using a Remington 870 (I have to double check my chokes, but I'm pretty sure I have a modified and/or full) What size steel shot do you recommend? I've heard anywhere from BBB, BB, #2, and #3.

Guess I'll need to buy/borrow decoys?

Will regular woodland camo work, or should I buy waterfowl camo? If there aren't any field blinds already set up (I doubt it) How about a big sheet of burlap?

Anyone ever been to Tuckahoe?

School me on Goose calls.

Is this like deer hunting, as in sunrise to sunset?

Which license do i need? Managed Hunt Permit? Federal Duck Stamp? full Season Hunting? All 3?

Looks like I should go shoot clays sometime soon, also.

Any other help is appreciated!

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Got a chance to go on a managed Goose Hunt in Tuckahoe State Park on the Eastern Shore.

I've never been, but always wanted to....now's my chance.

I'll be using a Remington 870 (I have to double check my chokes, but I'm pretty sure I have a modified and/or full) What size steel shot do you recommend? I've heard anywhere from BBB, BB, #2, and #3.BB and improved cylinder

Guess I'll need to buy/borrow decoys? what kind of hunt is this? put on by an outfitter?

Will regular woodland camo work, or should I buy waterfowl camo? If there aren't any field blinds already set up (I doubt it) How about a big sheet of burlap? burlap will work but i would put some indegenous cover on it

Anyone ever been to Tuckahoe?

School me on Goose calls.Big river flute calls are easy to blow

Is this like deer hunting, as in sunrise to sunset?they usually dont come out of roost til about 0745-8 and go back in the afternoon but depends on the wether and birds.

Which license do i need? Managed Hunt Permit? Federal Duck Stamp? full Season Hunting? All 3?hunting liscens plus federal migratory gamebird stamp and statete migratory gamebird stamp

Looks like I should go shoot clays sometime soon, also.could help but you should wait intil their feet are out and back pedaling before you shoot but sometimes all you get is a fly by.

Any other help is appreciated!

have fun!

Not too many open spots in Tuckahoe so not sure what area they will put you in (I assume they will).Pull up a map and check for yourself,the biggest field(s) are off of Eveland Rd. on the West side and a couple smaller ones on the East side off of Crouse Mill Rd. and Horseshoe Rd.

I've never known the lake to be open to waterfowl due to the camping/picnic area next to it.Good Luck though

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    I hunted there once years ago on a managed hunt, did you put in for the lottery and get drawn? If I remember correctly they have Pit's already set up to hunt. why not call and ask.

Yes, this is part of the lottery.

I'm going to give them a call, but wanted to hear from some folks also.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Hit'em while their on the ground and basking in the warm afternoon sun. :D

That's it for my advice.

The things I hunt can't fly.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Best way to learn this stuff is to go with somebody that already knows what they are doing.

Set the decoys facing into the wind for the most part.

Use an IC or MOD choke for the shotgun. When I use steel, I use BBB, BBB, T in that order, but I have been known to kill geese beyond 50 yards too. That is not in everybody's skill set. Nowadays I use Hevi-Shot, which is damn expensive and I use #2, B, T in that order.

What camo will work depends on what your surroundings look like and what you will be hunting out of. If you are using a pit blind, then almost anything buy blaze orange will be fine. If you are going to be out in corn stubble then marsh like camo works. If you are using a layout blind you can get away with only using camo on your head and torso.

Get yourself a cheap flute for a call. They are one of the easiest to learn. I have lead 100's of geese to their demise with the use of a $20 Knight & Hale flute that I bought from Sports Authority 17 years ago. I have it right next to a Tim Grounds short reed and I tend to use the flute way more than the short reed. Best thing you can do with the call is take a drive to somewhere in the middle of nowhere and practice it in your car. hut - hut for a feed call. Who-it for a come here call. No idea how to put the come back call in writing. Loud and infrequent when they are far away and low and more frequent when they get closer. Less calling if they are on a line to you, more calling when you see tails or wing tips.

With all that said, good luck and enjoy.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    It is a ford vs chevy thing with full choke vs mod and of course 3" vs 3 1/2".

http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/forum/how-many-people-out-there-use-full-choke-for-geese-16828.html

I shoot 3" Mod with my 870 28" Barrel. Doesn't matter if over decoys or pass shooting.

That really depends regarding the chokes. A full choke for lead should not be used for steel. A lead modified choke works like a full choke on steel. Steel patterns a lot denser than lead and unlike lead it does not crush down much. As a result, if the choke is too tight it can actually bulge a barrel.

I just use a pattern master and call it a day.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    i don't think you want to use full choke with steel shot.

I don't. Not with steel, mis-type on my end.

Best way to learn this stuff is to go with somebody that already knows what they are doing.

Set the decoys facing into the wind for the most part.

Use an IC or MOD choke for the shotgun. When I use steel, I use BBB, BBB, T in that order, but I have been known to kill geese beyond 50 yards too. That is not in everybody's skill set. Nowadays I use Hevi-Shot, which is damn expensive and I use #2, B, T in that order.

What camo will work depends on what your surroundings look like and what you will be hunting out of. If you are using a pit blind, then almost anything buy blaze orange will be fine. If you are going to be out in corn stubble then marsh like camo works. If you are using a layout blind you can get away with only using camo on your head and torso.

Get yourself a cheap flute for a call. They are one of the easiest to learn. I have lead 100's of geese to their demise with the use of a $20 Knight & Hale flute that I bought from Sports Authority 17 years ago. I have it right next to a Tim Grounds short reed and I tend to use the flute way more than the short reed. Best thing you can do with the call is take a drive to somewhere in the middle of nowhere and practice it in your car. hut - hut for a feed call. Who-it for a come here call. No idea how to put the come back call in writing. Loud and infrequent when they are far away and low and more frequent when they get closer. Less calling if they are on a line to you, more calling when you see tails or wing tips.

With all that said, good luck and enjoy.

From what I've been reading, they are pit blinds. I think I may take a day trip out there and check the place out before showing up to hunt. :lol2:

There's a lake in my backyard, maybe I'll try calling them in there.

Thanks for the pointers!

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    I don't. Not with steel, mis-type on my end.

From what I've been reading, they are pit blinds. I think I may take a day trip out there and check the place out before showing up to hunt. :lol2:

There's a lake in my backyard, maybe I'll try calling them in there.

Thanks for the pointers!

I think those are usually 4 man blinds. I am sure you could lure a few mdshooters with an invitation and they would bring a lot of the stuff.
    I highly recommend taking a dog. If you are field hunting it's nice for crips. For anywhere near water it's going to be essential. Steel shot leads to a lot of wounded birds and they can move fast.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think those are usually 4 man blinds. I am sure you could lure a few mdshooters with an invitation and they would bring a lot of the stuff.
    I highly recommend taking a dog. If you are field hunting it's nice for crips. For anywhere near water it's going to be essential. Steel shot leads to a lot of wounded birds and they can move fast.

Might the park put him with 3 other hunters that won the lottery too? If so, you would think the park would let the hunters speak to one another prior to the hunt so they could coordinate who is bringing what. No sense for there to be 4 dogs, 1,000+ decoys, etc.

Then, the description of the hunt goes like this:

Hunting parties are limited to four people. All members of the party must possess a valid hunting license as well as a Managed Hunt Permit.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2012/090712a.asp

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Might the park put him with 3 other hunters that won the lottery too? If so, you would think the park would let the hunters speak to one another prior to the hunt so they could coordinate who is bringing what. No sense for there to be 4 dogs, 1,000+ decoys, etc.

Then, the description of the hunt goes like this:

Hunting parties are limited to four people. All members of the party must possess a valid hunting license as well as a Managed Hunt Permit.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2012/090712a.asp

When we went the one who got picked got to bring 3 other people with them. What day did you get? I like T shot but it's hard to find. another good load I've used on them is Hevi-metal in BBB and Hevi metal speedball in BB. The speed ball has amazing penetration. For choke tubes I use an IC.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    When we went the one who got picked got to bring 3 other people with them. What day did you get? I like T shot but it's hard to find. another good load I've used on them is Hevi-metal in BBB and Hevi metal speedball in BB. The speed ball has amazing penetration. For choke tubes I use an IC.

That's correct. It's myself, and one other guys who's been goose hunting before.

I'll be asking the guy who lets me deer hunt on his land as payback.

Leaving open one spot.....

I don't mind at all if someone else (who knows what they are doing) comes along, but let me finalize the people going. I'll be in Key West the first week of December, so it'll probably be after that.

Here's the kicker...the date is 12/24 Christmas Eve.

If you, or anyone else is interested in coming along and showing a newbie the ropes, send me a PM.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I recommend 3 inch BB's for geese. Buy quality shells, cheap shells are crap! Modified or Improved Cylinder depending on what distance you plan to shoot and how the shells pattered.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom