• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    My 15 year old neice let a nice 8 point walk Saturday morning. It was mounting a doe when she had her only clear (heavy brush) shot. Later I asked why she let him go, she said she didn't have the heart to shot him while in the act. He had worked so hard for it. :lol2:

Later in the day she let another buck (4 point) walk within 15 yards of her blind. This is her first hunt so I was starting to worry she wouldn't shot. She assured me she thought the 4 point would make a nice buck some day and thought he should have the chance.:cool: All I could think is damn she has been listening even when I thought she was ignoring me.

We are heading back out in a few hours. Even if she doesn't harvest her first whitetail this year I'm very proud of the young lady she has become.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    She obviously has technique down, I saw nothing this afternoon.

We are hunting an old abandoned farm in Frederick county. It gets very little hunting preasure but the owner spends a lot of time here. The deer seem to be almost accustomed to the sent of people. Movement still spooks them though.

Our hunting blind is made up from a picnic table and old bbq gril.

Attachments

• 20131116_110720.jpg
      20131116_110720.jpg
      131.7 KB · Views: 246
    Last edited:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Very good Mdeng. Nice to see the young lady has the interest and a good mind to go with some morals and ethics. I'll appreciate the fact that she at least allowed that Buck to mate. I would have let him have it after he got his front paws back on the ground though. :D

All kidding aside I take a lot of enjoyment in hearing stories about youth hunters who show some intelligence in the woods and can make good decisions on their own at that young age when it comes to hunting. Most kids would not stand a chance in the woods and I think most of them would simply want to throw the gun up and shoot at whatever comes along. Sadly, I think they just want to make the gun go bang, and could care less about the animal.

The best thing is that your Niece will now have memories and lessons that last a lifetime. At my age I can't remember much about yesterday, and that's probably because it doesn't matter and I just don't care, however, I can remember everything about hunting as a kid.

Today's hunting to me is just hunting. I don't recall much about the hunts other than know I did it... at some point as an adult now, but, I can sure remember the pride and excitement of my first Deer when I was 7 years old like it was last week, and many hunts after that, but, I guess we reach an age where it just doesn't matter anymore because you've done it so many times. I think we forget to care and I guess that's why I love hearing stories about todays youth hunters. It makes us old guys remember when we had our glory days.

Cudos to your Niece for the experience and a grand thank you to you Mdeng for being there for her. I look forward to hearing more from her experiences this year.

LOL I just noticed the pink camo ballcap and Iphone cover... Geez. Girls....

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    LOL I just noticed the pink camo ballcap and Iphone cover... Geez. Girls....

That's Perrin's stuff!:innocent0

Wish her well, and props for getting her out there!
    We already know she can shoot!

Andrew's passed a few deer I'd have shot!
    And at his age, I shot ANYTHING!
    (he killed a 5 pt during early ML)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom