Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old November 19th, 2017, 05:50 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1911 View Post
Not to derail the thread but what app or software do you use to measure groups like that. I try to use my calipers but I know I'm not holding them right. Could you post what this group is or pm me?
OnTarget is the name of the app I use. IIRC, it was a free download for the version I'm using.

And assuming a 100 yard distance, only inputting 4 shots (that I could cleanly identify), here's what the app spit out.

Name:  steves1911.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  34.5 KB
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:37 PM #22
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
Yuck. Badger will have it back to you in one week.
I had mine back in my hands for more than 2 weeks before the check cleared my bank. They don't wait, they get the job done and have it back to you in superhuman speed.

+ 100 for the Badger O bolt handle.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 08:14 PM #23

20" is the shortest I'd ever go on a .308. I never understood the short barrel rifles....you're not battling in a house with that thing. That's what shotguns are for
Old November 24th, 2017, 12:19 PM #24

The barrel length is not an accuracy issue, it is a velocity issue. And if you want to shoot long range (over 600 yards) you want all the velocity you can get. I left my barrel at something like 26" (whatever was stock). Even with a suppressor, it is usable. Unless you are going to carry it around a lot, longer is better (for velocity).

Many choices in stocks. I suggest you try to get behind any you are interested in before buying. I ended up with a Manners T-4A with mini chassis.

Timeny single stage trigger is nice and not very expensive. I may consider trying the Timney 2 stage, as I prefer a 2 stage trigger.

For scope, I like Vortex. What are you going to be doing? If long range shooting, the Viper PST is very nice for the price. Bushnell also makes some nice scopes in the not hugely expensive range.

For bolt knob, I sent my bolt off to Short Action Customs. They drill and tap the shaft of the handle and Loctite in a threaded rod to reinforce it. Then add the smooth bolt knob. About a week door to door.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 01:37 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
The barrel length is not an accuracy issue, it is a velocity issue. And if you want to shoot long range (over 600 yards) you want all the velocity you can get. I left my barrel at something like 26" (whatever was stock). Even with a suppressor, it is usable. Unless you are going to carry it around a lot, longer is better (for velocity).

Many choices in stocks. I suggest you try to get behind any you are interested in before buying. I ended up with a Manners T-4A with mini chassis.

Timeny single stage trigger is nice and not very expensive. I may consider trying the Timney 2 stage, as I prefer a 2 stage trigger.

For scope, I like Vortex. What are you going to be doing? If long range shooting, the Viper PST is very nice for the price. Bushnell also makes some nice scopes in the not hugely expensive range.

For bolt knob, I sent my bolt off to Short Action Customs. They drill and tap the shaft of the handle and Loctite in a threaded rod to reinforce it. Then add the smooth bolt knob. About a week door to door.
Thanks. I decided to leave the barrel at 20" and just thread it. I found a pretty good black friday deal on the Magpul hunter stock and bottom "metal". I definitely plan on getting the bolt knob done. As for the scope, I'm waiting to sell my Leupold 3-9 before looking into a new one. I'm looking at the Vortex HSL 4-16 and a few others. I'm going to head over to my LGS and look through a few before deciding. Thanks for the input.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles