Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old November 18th, 2017, 01:49 PM #21

My problem is saying that it will get 6.5 Creedmoor performance. Using Lapua Small Primer brass and either a 140 Rdf or 150 smk, I just don’t see how that’s possible. Sure the 90 grain stuff will compete with the lower weight stuff, but that’s not a fair comparison IMO.
tkd4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 07:54 PM #22

Adding another caliber to the mix: Sharps .25-45
Look here http://store.srcarms.com/

So many choices; so little time (and money)

Jerry
Jerry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 08:26 PM #23
Mike3888

Mike3888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry M View Post
Adding another caliber to the mix: Sharps .25-45
Look here http://store.srcarms.com/

So many choices; so little time (and money)

Jerry
You got that right. Blackhole Weaponry has been doing many calibers that others are doing or should I say trying to do for years. Mainly based off 6.8 and 6.5 cases.
Attached Images

Mike3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 08:37 PM #24

I wouldn't say the .224 is an answer to question * nobody * asked . It was an answer to a narrow niche question.

I like unusual cals , and could potentially see myself playing with it . But in no way is it a replacement or substitute for .223 .

There is definitely a hole wanting to be fill for larger than .223 bullet, on .223 headsize . .300 seems to have established its market.

The next question is there room for two .223 based ctgs larger than .22 dia , presumably an inbetween bore size . IF there is , it only has room for one more . Will( would) it be the .277Wolverine, .25-45 Sharps , or the 6x45 ? In a perfect world the 6x45 would have taken off back in the mid '90s ( Oly Arms did introduce back then , but with the events of Clinton AWB it was stillborn .)
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 08:50 PM #25
Mike3888

Mike3888

I have a blackhole barrel in 6x45 and it shoots lights out with 60 to 85 grain bullets. I've killed a few deer with it. Here is 5- 5 shot groups at 100 yards all were shot one after the other. Just 25 consecutive shot. And of course the pic is sideways. Oh well I tried
Attached Images

Mike3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:07 AM #26

I have no interest in adopting this round, but the 90 grain federal fusion loading looks on paper like a good performer. Its sectional is pretty respectable at around .256. Personally I am happy just dealing with the compromises inherent in a large pattern AR to gain access to more traditional long range precision and hunting cartridges. At this point, the cost is probably 30%+ more than a traditional AR, but there is good parts availability for DPMS patterns receivers. I love my AR .308 now that clandestine has worked it over.

If I were to pick a long range "precision" or hunting round for a normal AR pattern rifle, I would pick 6.5 Grendel. Cheap plinking ammo is available, and I like the bullets that are in the class. Lots of good options. Unfortunately you are still stuck with the same relatively weak bolt design inherent in AR bolts that can handle that family of cartridge (6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .224 Valkyrie, etc). CMMG makes their mutant family of rifles to correct that problem, but now you're stuck with a larger proprietary gun again. Might as well just go with a bigger frame AR. .224 Valkyrie seems to fill a niche, but not one I am all that interested in.

Regardless of that, I am glad to see federal experimenting with new cartridge designs. I hope it does well.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 05:08 PM #27

That’s why I am going 6.5 Grendel. Reasonably popular in Europe. You can get bolt guns chambered in it. Good long range performance. Adoption seems to be slowly increasing while 6.8SPC seems to be slowly dropping off. Steel cased ammo is available (still isn’t in .300BO and 6.5 has significantly better long range performance). Sufficient energy and sectional density to be a legit short/medium deer caliber.

Not a replacement for a .308/AR-10 size rifle. On the other hand I’d guess the 6.5 I am building is probably going to hit a bit under 8lbs with scope and without going exotic/expensive. A .308 AR-10 is probably going to be more like 9-9.5lbs scoped for a fairly lightweight 16” rifle (granted I have zero experience building those yet, but I’ve got a lower and upper waiting for that day).
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:16 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
That’s why I am going 6.5 Grendel. Reasonably popular in Europe. You can get bolt guns chambered in it. Good long range performance. Adoption seems to be slowly increasing while 6.8SPC seems to be slowly dropping off. Steel cased ammo is available (still isn’t in .300BO and 6.5 has significantly better long range performance). Sufficient energy and sectional density to be a legit short/medium deer caliber.

Not a replacement for a .308/AR-10 size rifle. On the other hand I’d guess the 6.5 I am building is probably going to hit a bit under 8lbs with scope and without going exotic/expensive. A .308 AR-10 is probably going to be more like 9-9.5lbs scoped for a fairly lightweight 16” rifle (granted I have zero experience building those yet, but I’ve got a lower and upper waiting for that day).
My 16" AR .308 weighs around 8lbs, 3oz with iron sights and an EOTech 512 mounted. It could certainly be lighter, but the weight is mostly in the receiver and the big ol BCG. Balances pretty well. I think it's definitely viable for carrying around all day in the woods, particularly with a sling. I could trim a full pound off of it if I went with a lightweight bcg, carbon fiber tube, lighter optic or irons only, and lighter buttstock. But thats going to add probably $1000 to the overall build cost, and the 25 round mags still weigh a ton. Handy enough for me as is!

I think 6.5 Grendel is a great option for short to medium range general purpose hunting. I would be that guy running around with a Faxon Gunner profile 18" barrel and light weight build, but most of the 6.5 Grendel setups I've seen are pretty heavy. Then again, that is not the fault of the cartridge . . .

ETA: I think the main benefit of something like .224 Valkyrie is the cheaper parts availability in semi auto vs something in the .308 family. Barrel still seems like it needs to be long (Ironically 6.5 Grendel SBRs perform really well). Low recoil is great too, but I don't feel like 6.5grendel recoil is bad. To me it is just not enough of an improvement. The high bc bullets and brass aren't particularly interchangeable with anything I shoot, so reloading wouldn't really save me much. At any rate I think it is definitely a round that many will adopt and love, but it just doesn't do much for me personally. Way better than .22 nosler though.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 03:22 PM #29

I mean if what you are looking for is a long range semi-auto rifle with good parts availability and you are looking between a 24” Grendel, a 24” .223 or a .308, .260 or 6.5CM then a 24” .224V might be the best combination of price and long range performance.

But it seems like a bad option compared to basically anything else up there for hunting, except maybe actual varmit performance at longer ranges. And I suspect that a shorter barrel, just like 22 Nosler, is going to see only a tiny increase in performance over .223 for more expensive parts and much, much more expensive ammo (if you don’t reload).
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 09:38 PM #30

Back at #28 , part way down .

The phrase " short to medium range hunting" being used in conjunction with 6.5G , I have to throw a flag .That phrase would fit very well in regards to 6.8SPC .( Not that's theres anything wrong with that. That's a legit niche , and SPC fans may go forth with my blessing in that context .) But the whole point of the Grendel is launching bullets with high ( for the platform) sectional density and BC , for improved long range performance.
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles