• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I just want to give a brief review on a course in case some people don't know about it.

Bang Steel in Wytheville, VA is about 5 hours South from Baltimore. It was my first experience(s) with long range shooting. The range is up to 1100 yards with a 1 mile plate.

The instructor is very relaxed and very easy going. He changed my way of thinking that long range shooting was complicated and mathematical. Everything was dumbed down, for the better. Wind calculations were simplified, coriolos effect was essentially debunked, and the idea that you need expensive equipment was thrown out the window. We learned the dummy guide to dealing with angles, and when temperature, humidity, elevation, etc., actually comes into play. Many of these variables were way simpler than I thought.

I ran this course with a $300 rifle and a $300 fixed scope and had no problems at long distances. I was using match grade ammo. I couldn't believe it, he was right. You don't need the top of the line rifles and scopes to hit this far. As far as knowledge, some things were dumbed down for the better to simplify. The hardest parts were the art and experience, such as judging wind calls.

I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn how to long range shoot.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    After my experience with Ed Shell I have been looking into taking the trip down. Thanks for the post.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Schedule permitting, I am seriously looking into doing this in the late fall or early next spring and would be interested in gauging interest in finding an MDS group of 2-4 people.

Piccone I did read your other posts and found them extremely informative. Thank you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Let me know what you plan. I am interested, if I can fit it in to both schedule and budget.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Speaking if budget since you have been down twice what is the cost if a decent room nearby?

I normally stay at the Hampton Inn in Wytheville. I just checked for Thurs - Mon mid Sept, and it was $125 per night AA rate.

There is also a Fairfield Inn next door. And some other hotels.

Checking Trip Advisor, the same dates, Red Roof in is $49, Ramada is $82. Travel Lodge $49, Days Inn $58.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have a friend who is a member here and may be interested too. I think I'll shoot an email out to Dan and find out how we would go about booking a 4 person MDS group.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have a friend who is a member here and may be interested too. I think I'll shoot an email out to Dan and find out how we would go about booking a 4 person MDS group.

Or a range rental.

We could really cut costs that way. Me and my friend, both alumni of Dan's course, would be in.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Or a range rental.

We could really cut costs that way. Me and my friend, both alumni of Dan's course, would be in.

While I would still want to attend a class with dan I would be interested in a shared range rental as well.

Do you know of such a place that is suitable for 1000yds or more?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    While I would still want to attend a class with dan I would be interested in a shared range rental as well.

Do you know of such a place that is suitable for 1000yds or more?

Yeah Dan rents that same range to alumni of his courses, unless that has changed. I think they just have a range officer and skip the teaching parts.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yeah Dan rents that same range to alumni of his courses, unless that has changed. I think they just have a range officer and skip the teaching parts.

If this is true and a non-alum like me can still join in I am still interested. I guess it depends on the cost too. I would probably want to spend the night someplace nearby just so I can have a clear head at the range. Since you are an alum would you be willing to shoot him an email and find out the cost and if there are any weekend days available. Maybe last 2 weeks of oct or early nov.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    If this is true and a non-alum like me can still join in I am still interested. I guess it depends on the cost too. I would probably want to spend the night someplace nearby just so I can have a clear head at the range. Since you are an alum would you be willing to shoot him an email and find out the cost and if there are any weekend days available. Maybe last 2 weeks of oct or early nov.

Oh I thought you said you were. I'm pretty sure he only offers that to people that took the course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom