• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianrose

May 2, 2009
    In the 1k price point- WW ar15 with carry handle and fixed front vs Bushmaster with no sights. Are these basically the same gun? I have seen rumblings of Bushmaster quality not being where it used to be. Thoughts?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Personally, I think the Windham's are nicer. Dont know why but I've never been a fan of the Bushy's.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I think by all accounts, Bushmaster isn't what they used to be. I have a couple of old Bushmaster rifles that are great. I also have a Windham HBAR I picked up last fall and it is solid. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    With the WW add mags and ammo and go to range.
    With bushy you need to decide on sights plastic vs. steel, fixed vs. folding etc. And then you have to buy and wait for them to arrive then install.
    The WW will be less expensive in the end.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    After Rem (Freedom Group) bought Bushmaster , they eventually shifted production to their NC facility , and shuttered the Maine plant, and sold it as surplus. The origional owner of Bushmaster bought back the facility.

The day that his noncompete clause expired , he reopened under the Windham name , using many of the origional employees.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I picked up an original Bushy on the cheap because it's original owner was having "problems" with it. I gave it a really good cleaning and haven't had a lick of trouble with it since. Out of sheer principle I would go with a Windham over a new Bushmaster.

brianrose

May 2, 2009
    REASON FOR choosing NON-Colt is because they are 160-260 more up front...granted that price includes full magpul furniture.

wequay

May 16, 2012
    Annapolis, MD
    I have a WW SRC. It is a great rifle. Is my first and only AR. I got a 1-6x32 scope on top and I can easily do a 2" group at 100 yards and hit steel at 300 yards. It is well made and comes with a lifetime warranty.

From what I understand, WW is the old BM. The owner sold the BM name and did a 5 year non-compete. He saw he BM name drop under new management and manufacturing with regards to quality. After the non-compete expired, he got the plant up and running again and started making rifles under the WW name.

If the choice is WW or BM, I would choose the WW everytime.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    My Nephew picked up a Windham last fall and is very happy with it. He is probably going to pick up another before October.

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    The fit and finish of the Windham MPC and SRC is very nice and better than other brand names with higher price tags. No function issues todate and eats mostly everything its fed. Great customer service, as well. The Windham group seem to be some stand up folks.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    After Rem (Freedom Group) bought Bushmaster , they eventually shifted production to their NC facility , and shuttered the Maine plant, and sold it as surplus. The origional owner of Bushmaster bought back the facility.

The day that his noncompete clause expired , he reopened under the Windham name , using many of the origional employees.

This the new ny made bushmasters are basically a dpms

Sc0tt556

Freedom...."Earn this"
    May 14, 2013
    MD
    WW over BM... Colt felt like the 1911s of old which can be considered a part of it's character - rattle bucket..... yes even the two 6920s I've handled were LOOSE.... not a bad thing as long as the bcg to the chamber lock up is consistent

Having said that, the WW lower to upper fitment is first class and functions as intended. The fitment maintained its integrity even with a different brand of upper assembly

So. Yeah, I will choose the WW over BM but I still want a Colt because it's a Colt :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom