• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I have been researching building a flintlock lately. There are kits out there that I had no idea even existed. Not your run of the mill Cabelas kit but, kits "in the white", builders kits, and others. Now the conundrum of figuring out which style I want. I didn't know there were so many different styles and schools.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the Bucks county style? It is one of the styles that I keep going back to. Others are the Iron Pennsylvania rifle and the Early Lancaster.
    So, any thoughts, advice, and guidance would be welcome.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Everyone knew.

Have you looked at Track of the Wolf? Definitely get their printed catalog which has actual size pictures of parts so you can make sure they fit:
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/588

You will want to attend Dixon's Gunmakers Fair July 27-29th, 2018; 9952 Kunkels Mill Road, Kempton, PA 19529:
    http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/join-us-for-the-35th-annual-gunmakers-fair-july-28-30th-2017/

I have a friend who makes rock locks and he works with Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders; 50 W. Beaver St., Hallam, PA, 17406:
    http://cabincreek.net/revspec/semi-custom-guns/

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Everyone knew.

Have you looked at Track of the Wolf? Definitely get their printed catalog which has actual size pictures of parts so you can make sure they fit:
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/588

You will want to attend Dixon's Gunmakers Fair July 27-29th, 2018; 9952 Kunkels Mill Road, Kempton, PA 19529:
    http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/join-us-for-the-35th-annual-gunmakers-fair-july-28-30th-2017/

I have a friend who makes rock locks and he works with Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders; 50 W. Beaver St., Hallam, PA, 17406:
    http://cabincreek.net/revspec/semi-custom-guns/

Yep, I have been on several other sites as well. TVM, Log Cabin Shop, Sitting Fox. All of them have good information.

Thanks for the info about Cabin Creek. I will check them out. :thumbsup:

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    What ever you do select the best lock you can get and look for a stock with the ram-rod hole drilled through for your first one. That quite possibly could be the hardest part.

My first one will probably be in the white. Only minor fitting and finishing.
    I really like the steel furniture over the brass or silver. I am also considering
    .45 Cal over larger calibers.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Somehow I have a feeling there's gonna be a CombatAK flintlock making a debut at a Hooligan shoot in the not too distant future...

:innocent0

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Stay away from the the builds with a patch kit, if you want functionality.

They look nice, but not worth a darn. Whatever goes in there, will find its way out on its own.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Stay away from the the builds with a patch kit, if you want functionality.

They look nice, but not worth a darn. Whatever goes in there, will find its way out on its own.

You are talking about a patch box, right? The reason I ask is because I saw a kit that had a faux wrist patch. I thought that it looked stupid but back in the 18th and 19th centuries, I can see where it may have been a necessity.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You are talking about a patch box, right? The reason I ask is because I saw a kit that had a faux wrist patch. I thought that it looked stupid but back in the 18th and 19th centuries, I can see where it may have been a necessity.

Yep, the patch box.

Even light itty bitty patches will wonder off, unless there is some kind of latch.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The biggest challenge on a flintlock build is aligning the flashpan with hammer and frizzen.

If you get the angle just right, you can get an ember bouncing close to, if not into flash hole without powder. :beer:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'd look at a Dunlap Woodcrafts kit. They do an outstanding job on the stock inletting (which is a Grade-A PITA), have excellent wood, and good components.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    In addition to all the good tips above another thing to not overlook his how the bottom or rear ramrod pipe is fit to the stock. It's because two levels or planes are being worked at the same time. It's probably the only part of the process where inletting two levels at the same time has to occur.

Once you square up the bottom of the channel and have determined the diameter of the pipe and have begun to inlet, just make sure that the tab that is pinned to the stock doesn't interfere with the bottom of the barrel flat or enter the barrel channel.

The trick is to keep the thimble square so it doesn't bind on the ram-rod, is inletted in a way that is firmly supported and has good metal to wood fit along its sides.
    In other words, the pin that holds the thimble is above the ram rod channel but below the barrel channel so you may have to shorten the tab.

The go to book used to be Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age by Joe Kindig Jr. for its photographs on the different styles and genres of rifles.
    Building a rifle is something that can be enjoyed for quite some time, the trick is just to go slow and plan your moves.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Brad Emig has been working on a Lancaster rifle for me for awhile now. Just got word that it will be ready this fall, maybe for hunting season. He and his son Shane are real artists. He can build a complete flintlock by hand, if necessary. He does some beautiful work. He also offers classes in rifle building. Check it out:

http://cabincreek.net

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Brad Emig has been working on a Lancaster rifle for me for awhile now. Just got word that it will be ready this fall, maybe for hunting season. He and his son Shane are real artists. He can build a complete flintlock by hand, if necessary. He does some beautiful work. He also offers classes in rifle building. Check it out:

http://cabincreek.net

I know that he does beautiful work. Since this thread started, I have been on their site and many others. I cannot wait to see pics of your rifle this fall. Thanks for the tip.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I know that he does beautiful work. Since this thread started, I have been on their site and many others. I cannot wait to see pics of your rifle this fall. Thanks for the tip.

I will post some pics. They also have some kits to build.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    By now you've probably come across Jim Chambers' site, www.flintlock.com

He's got excellent kits. I've built the York rifle. Wherever you get your kit, I'd highly recommend shelling out for a Chambers lock. Best in the business as afar as I'm concerned. The lock is the heart of the gun.

Getz, Rice, and Colerain make wonderful barrels, though a Green Mountain will shoot just as well as most people can use. RL Davis makes great double set triggers, though a well positioned single trigger and a well tuned lock (Chambers!) will work just great. You really only NEED a double set trigger for serious target work.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom