• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    So I have a rather unique situation. I am a former resident of Maryland, but am a current resident of Washington, D.C. My girlfriend is a resident of Maryland and that is where her apartment is located.

I want to bring my 12 ga shotgun, and leave it at her apartment for the purpose of defending her apartment should the need arise. Since I do not wish to go through the extensive hoops to get a registration to keep my shotgun at my apartment in D.C., I will keep it at her apartment. While there, she will not have access to the weapon as it will be fitted with an Omega breech lock, of which only I will have the key. This is upon her request.

While visiting her apartment, I would utilize the shotgun in defense of the apartment should the need arise. Since I possess a D.C. driver's license, and am not on the lease at her apartment, even though I might stay there for several nights at a time, would I be in any legal trouble in using the shotgun in self defense while staying there? Is there any legal issue in keeping the shotgun there while I am in D.C.?

Sorry for the silly question, but I want to avoid any potential issues where either of us could get into any legal trouble.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ok, so first, as a DC resident, how exactly did you come to own it without registering it (I am not clear on DC registration requirements). But that will be your first problem. Arent you required to register it as a resident when you become a resident?

Second, I don't think "Omega breech lock" is sufficient to avoid constructive possession. Is your girlfriend a prohibited person?

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    I am a former Maryland resident; I purchased the shotgun as a Maryland resident. It has remained in Maryland even once I became a D.C. resident. She shotgun has never entered D.C. lines. And as far as I know, she is not a prohibited person.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    ok, so first, as a DC resident, how exactly did you come to own it without registering it (I am not clear on DC registration requirements). But that will be your first problem. Arent you required to register it as a resident when you become a resident?

Second, I don't think "Omega breech lock" is sufficient to avoid constructive possession. Is your girlfriend a prohibited person?

And from what I understand, the Omega Breech lock is legally recognized in Maryland and California by the DOJ. But I could be wrong.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The simplest answer:

Buy her, her own shotgun!

PS - Don't forget to add a stack on gun locker, for safe storage.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    My understanding is that D.C. only requires residents to register firearms that are inside the city. Firearms that are not in the city shouldn't need to be registered. Atleast that's my basic understanding.

My question is would I be in any trouble by shooting an intruder while in her apartment? Would the Maryland police charge me since I am not a resident of her apartment?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You would be in no more trouble shooting someone in her apartment in self-defense, than if you shot someone in your own apartment in self-defense.

All bets are off, if you just shoot someone (aka "an intruder to you") in her apartment.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    You would be in no more trouble shooting someone in her apartment in self-defense, than if you shot someone in your own apartment in self-defense.

All bets are off, if you just shoot someone (aka "an intruder to you") in her apartment.

This.

But also, all bets are off if OPs "basic understanding" of D.C. laws are wrong, or if said girlfriend is a prohibited person.

Not sure I would trust my future liberty to an Omega lock and a not so nice friendly AG.

My understanding is that D.C. only requires residents to register firearms that are inside the city. Firearms that are not in the city shouldn't need to be registered. Atleast that's my basic understanding.

My question is would I be in any trouble by shooting an intruder while in her apartment? Would the Maryland police charge me since I am not a resident of her apartment?

MD requires you to register if you are a resident regardless of location. I think you should double check D.C. law, seems strange to me that you would not need to register long guns just because they are outside D.C.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    This.

But also, all bets are off if OPs "basic understanding" of D.C. laws are wrong, or if said girlfriend is a prohibited person.

Not sure I would trust my future liberty to an Omega lock and a not so nice friendly AG.

MD requires you to register if you are a resident regardless of location. I think you should double check D.C. law, seems strange to me that you would not need to register long guns just because they are outside D.C.

AFAIK, MD does not require the registration of long guns, only handguns.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    AFAIK, MD does not require the registration of long guns, only handguns.

MD requires registration of regulated firearms, which could be handguns or "assault rifles" owned before 2013.

Point being, MD requires you to register if you are a resident regardless of location of the guns (within 90 days of becoming a resident).

I think it would be weird if D.C. did not have similar requirements.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    MD requires registration of regulated firearms, which could be handguns or "assault rifles" owned before 2013.

Point being, MD requires you to register if you are a resident regardless of location of the guns (within 90 days of becoming a resident).

I think it would be weird if D.C. did not have similar requirements.

Yes, but I am using a standard pump action shotgun here, not a handgun or "assault rifle," thus no registration is required.

As far as D.C. law goes, I will need to research that. I have been calling the Washington, D.C. Police Firearm registration Department for the past hour and have been unable to reach anyone.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015

Can you explain the second line in your post? It seems to disagree with the first line.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Can you explain the second line in your post? It seems to disagree with the first line.

What if its her other boyfriend?

in other words, if you shoot someone in her apartment you better be sure its a real threat, not her brother, ex boyfriend whoi still has a key and was drunk, or drug dealer.

My further 0.02, since you didnt ask, is if you are leaving a shotgun there, put a ring on her finger.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    What if its her other boyfriend?

in other words, if you shoot someone in her apartment you better be sure its a real threat, not her brother, ex boyfriend whoi still has a key and was drunk, or drug dealer.

My further 0.02, since you didnt ask, is if you are leaving a shotgun there, put a ring on her finger.

Makes sense. I'm planning on getting a Nightlock Barricade for her front door as well, just to make sure, lol.

As for the ring, I'm sure she would like that, lol.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You should check DC law. When you became a resident of DC it probably needed to be registered regardless of location.

I don't see DC having jurisdiction over property that is outside of DC.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maryland only requires registration of handguns/scary long guns for new residents.

No one need register a shotgun.

OP, you are likely to be arrested if you shoot someone, even if they decide later not to prosecute. Best to avoid shooting anyone, or needing to.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't see DC having jurisdiction over property that is outside of DC.

My advice for any gun used for SD is make sure all laws are at all times followed, because an anti-gun AG may try to jam you up if you shoot someone of the wrong tribe. They can refer a case. Now you could be right, but it may take 6 figures to prove you are right. And, self defense legal insurance may not pay out if you have not followed all laws.

So if D.C. law says all guns owned by D.C. residents have to be registered, I would follow that law, or move out of D.C.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Castle Doctrine is Maryland, does not cover only your "residence", it also covers anywhere you stay temporarily, such is if you were on a trip in Maryland, and someone breaks into your hotel room while you were on a overnight hunting trip per se.

As for the other sentence, you need to feel comfortable what goes on at her place.

People are strange and they can do stranger things, than what you could ever dream up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom