• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    That's terrific! The only thing left is to set up a practice regime (as often as you have the time for and can afford). Dry fire/laser training at home, try using a timer at the range (several free downloads, adds a bit of pressure to your practice). Lots of training available (at least, under normal circumstances). Keep at it until you feel confident in your abilities and judgment, especially under stress, and then push a little more. Make sure to practice reloads and malfunction drills. Stay safe!

I try to get all the practice I can. I just bought a mantis. (Hallelujah for taxes) what’s your opinion on the mantis? I heard it’s excellent for training at home and since I have a toddler range time is limited. At this point non existent since no ranges I know of are open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    I know this has probably been said millions of time, but my hope is that someone sues so that crap about a "good reason" to excercise a right is gone. I would think watch baltimore,, philadelphia, destroit, and chicago news and you will know why decent people need guns

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    A "friend" has been approved and is waiting for the permit to arrive by mail. Here's his timeline and experience, which I hope helps.

A "friend's" application was accepted on 2/4/20. Last Monday, the friend received an email introducing my investigator, and that afternoon, he called to set up a phone interview (not in-person because of COVID). The interview took place Tuesday morning. The friend's business justification is not quite the standard mold, but he prompted the friend for other documents that would help demonstrate that he actual have an ongoing business in MD and making deposits at the bank. (BTW, the copy of 6 deposits must be of in-person, not electronic, deposits.) The additional docs were emailed to the investigator on Wednesday. On Thursday, my friend received an email from him stating that the app was forwarded to Pikesville for final review, with a positive recommendation. Now, this is amazing ... on Friday morning, my friend received an email from MSP that his app was approved, and would receive a mailing within 5-7 business days. My friend was expecting to wait another month, as the investigator did mention the 90 days they have to complete the process. Note: the interview was business like and non-confrontational.

2 other friends applied 2 weeks earlier than the above app, under a church volunteer security team justification. They have been notified that an investigator has been assigned, and their references have been checked, but have not heard from the investigator. Why the difference in timing? It seems that the MSP has been inundated with business justified apps, and they are banging through them as fast as they can. So, I ASSUME thats the difference, but can't be sure.

Jlynne2 having said all that, I would hope that a domestic violence justification would take priority over everything. But, who knows. I have heard of taking 120 days, in the past, but think they are working at staying within the 90 days total. I am praying for your protection and a smooth app process.

Wow. 60+ days just to get the app assigned?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I try to get all the practice I can. I just bought a mantis. (Hallelujah for taxes) what’s your opinion on the mantis? I heard it’s excellent for training at home and since I have a toddler range time is limited. At this point non existent since no ranges I know of are open.

I do not have personal experience with the Mantis but I've heard good things. I use a laser cartridge and various laser-sensitive targets. I also recently bought the LASR dry fire target app, which is pretty cool, and affordable (lasrapp.com).

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I got the mantis earlier this year and have been using it pretty regularly. It is a good training aid on trigger control and does a good job of giving you feedback on what you are doing while shooting. That being said it does not help you with getting a proper grip on the firearm. It will help you improve but you do have to have some solid fundamentals to build on.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I got the mantis earlier this year and have been using it pretty regularly. It is a good training aid on trigger control and does a good job of giving you feedback on what you are doing while shooting. That being said it does not help you with getting a proper grip on the firearm. It will help you improve but you do have to have some solid fundamentals to build on.

In a self defense rushed draw, you pretty much aren't getting the best grip on the pistol.

Perfect grip is for aimed, slow, accurate bullseye fire.
    Self defense, get it out as fast as you can and hit 8X12 center mass. Grip, not so much.

That being said, you need to master the basics before you can start shooting like shit.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thank you very much. That means a lot.
    I pray I never have to use it as well. But better to be prepared especially with the way things are these days.

Jlynne, I read through this whole thread and have mixed feelings. I was a victim of crimes and also have my experiences with Law enforcement officers in my county. Since 2012, my residence has had 3 burglaries, 2 of which I knew and caught the perps. Sadly both punishments amounted to a slap on the wrist, and either no jail time, or a reduced sentence and parole after only 1/3 of the original sentence.

Where my mixed feelings come, is from the fact that you as a woman whether knowingly or innocently got your path crossed with a man who is now known to be a threat to other women and to you and maybe to others before. Worse yet, if I understand right, you are now rearing this man's child. My condolences to you for now having to live the rest of your life with the potential threat he poses to you and the future of that child. Even if the man is totally rehabilitated, I am pretty sure the scars his actions toward you in the past will never stop or fade.

I am a man of a large stature at almost 250 lbs who has a pretty tough skin from life experiences, and yet having had my homes violated 3 times by criminals and knowing at least 2 of those same criminals are out on the street and living 2 doors away from my home. My once peaceful and seemingly secure life in my little home area is no more. I still face fears 8 years later every time I return to my house, every time I am within a few miles of there, and the whole time I am on the property without protection or the peace of mind I once had when my home was un-breached by ******* criminals.

So to sum it up, I am glad you got your CCW, I am pissed that you and I and others have to beg for the right to protect themselves. I am pissed that Maryland and much of the US is in favor of giving more rights to criminals than to law abiding, family raising, hard working men and women like you.

And finally, I am deeply saddened that this man who you made this child with, is still a threat in any way. Both for you and for that baby. Sad Sad Sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom