RCSA Rimfire Challenge in Spring Grove, PA.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red Eye

Feb 17, 2011
    Hanover, Pa.
    Hello All,
    Trying to get the word out on a new shooting venue at the Jefferson Rifle Club, 5209 Snyder Mill Rd, Spring Grove, PA.
    As the title says, RCSA, formerly known as NSSF or Ruger rimfire challenge.
    Google U-tube to see what it is. You'll need a semi-auto rifle in 22LR and a semi-auto pistol 22 LR and lots of mags.
    It's much like the 22 division of regular steel challenge but in this game, the target size and distance can be changed to anything I want, it's not set stages like regular steel challenge.
    Rules and equipment can be found here.. www.rimfirechallenge.org/rule-book/

I plan on having matches in 2020 starting in April thru Oct. on the 2nd Sunday of each month, weather permitting.
    Match set up will be 8-8:30am. morning of the match, registration 8:30-9:30.mandatory safety brief at 9:45, shooting to start about 10am, should be done about 2-2:30pm.
    Cost will be $10 for Jefferson Club members, $15 for non club members.
    I haven't figured out how to do the practiscore thing yet, so just show up.
    Contact me thru a pm on this site or my email for further info.
    Glenn Hummell browning12g@msn.com Please put RCSA in the title so I don't delete it as spam.

Just noticed on calendar that 2nd Sunday of April is Easter SOOOO, the 1st match of the year will be the 3rd Sunday April 19th. The other months remain the 2nd Sundays.

UPDATE............AS OF 3/31/2020
    The host club has cancelled all events for the month of April due to the COVID 19 virus thing, so the 22 steel challenge match is CANCELLED.
    I'll update again the closer we get to May to see if a match is possible and the world status of this outbreak.

UPDATE..........club is still shut down, the match for May 17th is cancelled.

UPDATE........AS OF 5/28/2020
    THE CLUB IS OPEN AND THERE WILL BE A MATCH JUNE 21ST........ PLUS.........ALL MATCHES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO THE 3RD SUNDAY OF THE MONTH FOR REST OF THE YEAR
    PLEASE SEE ABOVE FOR DETAILS.

MAJOR UPDATE AS OF 6/20/20.........DUE TO SOME NEW HEALTH ISSUES WITH MYSELF, I'M NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO THE WORK REQUIRED TO HAVE THESE MATCHES.........ALL MATCHES FOR THE YEAR ALL CANCELLED. SORRY ABOUT ALL THE UPDATES AND THE FACT THAT THIS JUST ISN'T GOING TO WORK OUT FOR THE ME OR THE CLUB.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Interested:party29:...but will definitely need reminders when the dates get closer:innocent0

I know how to run practiscore once the match is going, but have no idea how to set it up to start :o
    It sounds like you've got a couple of months to learn :D

ETA: I just searched "practiscore tutorials," and there are a bunch of videos for it. I don't have time to check them out now...but it can't be that hard ;)

Red Eye

Feb 17, 2011
    Hanover, Pa.
    Art 3' appreciate the input but the biggest problem is, we don't have wi-fi at the club and don't you need that to score and run it during the match? Right now, I'n scoring on written cards I've made up and scoring with calculators after the match. I know it's not ideal but like I said, I'm new at this and still working out the bugs.
    We did have 3 "trail" matches last year and had 11 shooters per match from the club members. All had a good time and said they'd return.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You should be able to hot spot off of someone's phone, who has unlimited data.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You can run Practiscore off a smartphone. Or you can buy a set of Nooks and such. All the Nooks would have enough wifi to sync the scores up as would a bunch of smartphones. From one Nook or smartphone you could upload results into Practiscore with an account. You can also setup registration thru Practiscore and still collect the money at the match.
    I would suspect that if you had 11 club members for a trial match it would be easy to draw 20-30 shooters from the tri-state area easily including your club. I mean the AGC gets around 60 shooters for their non-sanctioned Steel Challenge match right now.
    A lot of people judge Rimfire Challenge matches by the number of stages they get to shoot. I have been shooting them since 2010 when they finally left the gun un-friendly state of CA for the world championships and we got our first state match east of the Mississippi. I have made every world match except 2018 since 2010 in New Mexico. Up til maybe now none of the club matches I know of provided enough stages to drive 3 or more hours to reach. You are less than 2 hours for me in WV. I will go longer to a number of state matches because of the increased number of stages (and prize tables). Its often a case of mileage/travel time verses the number of stages I get to shoot. Plus I shoot a lot of sanctioned Steel Challenge events. I and my friends can easily add a good monthly RC match to our schedules for 2020. If you need any help feel free to give be an email.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Last I checked it doesn't cost anything for a club to register and get yourself on the sanctioned list. You just have to fill out the form and send it electronically from the web page and then you will be on the club list. For monthly matches I think you need to do it 60 days before your first match. Last year there were 4 clubs in PA sanctioned. Only one close is Lewistown Pistol Club and they are farther than you are. They do a six-stage monthly match and an 8-stage state match. Good people but their matches sometimes conflict with sanction Steel Challenge events so I have to choose.

Red Eye

Feb 17, 2011
    Hanover, Pa.
    Photoracer, thanks for all the info. I'm not too worried about being sanctioned yet until I see how this year goes.

I have shoot the Lewistown club matches, that's what got me interested in this, but it's almost a 3 hour drive for me and I live in Hanover. That's why I thought I'd try to get it started at my club. No one else in the area seems to do the RCSA matches.
    My plan is to set up 3 bays, each shot with rifle and pistol for a total of 6 stages.
    I have issues keeping up with the technical stuff ( I'm 66) I may take you up on your offer to help me with that.
    I'm actually a 20 year shooter of cowboy action shooting ( SASS) but losing interest and was looking for a new shooting venue. We'll actually be shooting in our western town of "Leadville" cause thats where the bays and steel targets are at. I was the Match Director of that at the club for the past 7 years but just gave it up the end of 2019.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Hello All,
    Trying to get the word out on a new shooting venue at the Jefferson Rifle Club, 5209 Snyder Mill Rd, Spring Grove, PA.
    As the title says, RCSA, formerly known as NSSF or Ruger rimfire challenge.
    Google U-tube to see what it is. You'll need a semi-auto rifle in 22LR and a semi-auto pistol 22 LR and lots of mags.
    It's much like the 22 division of regular steel challenge but in this game, the target size and distance can be changed to anything I want, it's not set stages like regular steel challenge.
    Rules and equipment can be found here.. www.rimfirechallenge.org/rule-book/

I plan on having matches in 2020 starting in April thru Oct. on the 2nd Sunday of each month, weather permitting.
    Match set up will be 8-8:30am. morning of the match, registration 8:30-9:30.mandatory safety brief at 9:45, shooting to start about 10am, should be done about 2-2:30pm.
    Cost will be $10 for Jefferson Club members, $15 for non club members.
    I haven't figured out how to do the practiscore thing yet, so just show up.
    Contact me thru a pm on this site or my email for further info.
    Glenn Hummell browning12g@msn.com Please put RCSA in the title so I don't delete it as spam.

Just noticed on calendar that 2nd Sunday of April is Easter SOOOO, the 1st match of the year will be the 3rd Sunday April 19th. The other months remain the 2nd Sundays.

I am interested as well. Please keep us posted or we can send you our emails for to build a group. Been wanting to do this type of competition...

Red Eye

Feb 17, 2011
    Hanover, Pa.
    UPDATE FOR THE 22 STEEL MATCHES.........
    There's been some scheduling issues with the host club concerning the 2nd Sundays.... SO, all the matches have been moved to the 3rd Sunday's April through Oct. 2020
    All other information in top post still apply.
    I will have 3 bays set up, each to be shot with pistol and rifle for a total of 6 stages.

I have started a group email list for the 22 RCSA shooters. If you would like to be added so you'll know what's going on, pm me here or through my email listed in top post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom