• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BronxJoe

Jun 19, 2018
    Hope this adds something useful to this thread. I worked at Dick's in west York as a Lodge associate during the 2016/2017 holiday season. I general if a person was buying a firearm for a gift and stated that to you, it was ok to proceed with 4473 and complete sale. Example a wife hands me a paper that her husband wrote down the gun he would like, such as a Mossberg 500, no prob, complete the sale. Contrast this with two men at counter, one is shown and, shoulders 2 or 3 rifles. Then he tells the person who is with him to buy him the one he liked, *insert claxton sound here* that would be a solid no go for possible straw purchase. We had great latitude to deny a purchase if it didn't smell right. I don't sell any of my guns as private sales, but this is one case discernment would be a good thing.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Hope this adds something useful to this thread. I worked at Dick's in west York as a Lodge associate during the 2016/2017 holiday season. I general if a person was buying a firearm for a gift and stated that to you, it was ok to proceed with 4473 and complete sale. Example a wife hands me a paper that her husband wrote down the gun he would like, such as a Mossberg 500, no prob, complete the sale. Contrast this with two men at counter, one is shown and, shoulders 2 or 3 rifles. Then he tells the person who is with him to buy him the one he liked, *insert claxton sound here* that would be a solid no go for possible straw purchase. We had great latitude to deny a purchase if it didn't smell right. I don't sell any of my guns as private sales, but this is one case discernment would be a good thing.

How do you know her husband or boyfriend isn't a prohibited person?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

I don't see how a note brought in by a 'wife' makes the transaction any less likely to be a straw purchase

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I actually did this very thing in a Dick's, of all places. The difference was, I told the clerk that I was buying this shotgun for my friend(standing next to me). My friend endured the background check, filled out and signed the 4473 and walked out the door with his brand new shotgun. Easy peasy.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When I bought my Beretta A300 from Dicks last year I git the third degree. I was halfway through the transaction when the paperwork checker outer came over to peruse the computer screen. Then he asks me have you bought guns from here before and I say yes. Then he asks did you buy a gun on this date? and spouts out a date. I say I don't remember, maybe. That wasn't good enough he then tells me if I can't tell him what I bought on that date he can't let this sale go through. So hen I tell him who knows maybe that was something my son bought (same name I'm a JR and he's a III) so I finally figure out it was my son's 7mm-08 he bought from there, now we're good. I still have no idea what all that ******** was about. If I hadn't been getting a very good price I'd have told him to shove it and left right away.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    When I bought my Beretta A300 from Dicks last year I git the third degree. I was halfway through the transaction when the paperwork checker outer came over to peruse the computer screen. Then he asks me have you bought guns from here before and I say yes. Then he asks did you buy a gun on this date? and spouts out a date. I say I don't remember, maybe. That wasn't good enough he then tells me if I can't tell him what I bought on that date he can't let this sale go through. So hen I tell him who knows maybe that was something my son bought (same name I'm a JR and he's a III) so I finally figure out it was my son's 7mm-08 he bought from there, now we're good. I still have no idea what all that ******** was about. If I hadn't been getting a very good price I'd have told him to shove it and left right away.

I find that an easy cure for that kind of :asshat:-ery is not to buy anything from dicks. YMMV but I have found that the customer service at the gun counter of Dicks (specifically the Waldorf store) is not that great.....therefor they do not get my money.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I am new . I joined so I could get a red dot I seen in the classified. Had to just to contact the seller. I am glad I did ,the amount of info is great . Kind of keeps me in touch with people other than guys at range. Belong to AGC. Always reluctant to buy / meet people on line . Usually stay with a business. Was going to go through MSP once and called to see what I had to do ladie officer on phone sounded down right mean like she didn’t have the time so I just payed the transfer at a shop. Ya could have saved some money but was a lot more comfortable dealing with the guys at store . It’s only paper till ya spend it.

PleaseEatSomePoo

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2009
    Baltimore
    Interesting.

I remember a few months ago when I was selling an 80 percent lower and a desktop CNC mill in separate listings.

Had a handful of low-post-count new members message me about finishing lowers for them.

Sure thing, ATF.

EdHershon

Oct 2, 2018
    Annapolis
    Everyone should be vigilant as to who they sell firearms to.

BTW, I’m new to the Forum and will work to get my posts up in numbers!

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    respect to SquareGrouper

Many of us have learned to not deal with people under 50 posts, or at least be able to get a feel for them by their (<50) posts.
    I too would have been VERY suspicious of someone who joined two days ago.

Thank you for giving at least a little respect to us <50's. I read quite a bit, but if I don't feel that I can add something to the conversation I try not to just post for the sake of it...and that doesn't mean that I'm unworthy, so thank you for pointing out that you can get a feel from the posts even if there are less than 50 of them.

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    intent

I do not want to stir the pot here.

Would a purchase by a parent as a gift later, maybe on a birthday or Christmas, become a straw purchase? Would class of item make difference?

I too have wondered this, but then I have openly mentioned to a gun store owner that I was buying a handgun that my son had an interest in because I wasn't sure it would be available by the time he got off his butt and got his HQL. Of course I also followed that up with...and it is mine and will stay in my safe with my combination and if he wants to tag along to the range I'll bring it.

I've also commented that he'll inherit them all someday anyway.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thank you for giving at least a little respect to us <50's. I read quite a bit, but if I don't feel that I can add something to the conversation I try not to just post for the sake of it...and that doesn't mean that I'm unworthy, so thank you for pointing out that you can get a feel from the posts even if there are less than 50 of them.

Everybody on here started out with post #1. having a low post count really means nothing concerning someone's character. But the funny thing is that you sort of get a feel for someone through reading their posts even though you never met them. I guess the arbitrary 50 post thing is a good a way as any to try and get a feel for someone.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I too have wondered this, but then I have openly mentioned to a gun store owner that I was buying a handgun that my son had an interest in because I wasn't sure it would be available by the time he got off his butt and got his HQL. Of course I also followed that up with...and it is mine and will stay in my safe with my combination and if he wants to tag along to the range I'll bring it.

I've also commented that he'll inherit them all someday anyway.

Form 4473 says:
    a. Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) (ATF Form 5300.9A)? Warning: You are not the actual transferee/buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual transferee/buyer, the licensee cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. Exception: If you are only picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 21.a. and may proceed to question 21.b.

If you are buying the firearm for yourself to use as a legitimate gift to give someone, like buying a box of chocolate or a dozen roses or a pink diamond bracelet, then it would be legal. If you are buying it because they want it and are to lazy to go to a gun store, or to young, or a convicted felon then you are making a straw purchase.

Most gun stores will be very suspicious if that person is with you and coaching you on what features they want, pointing out what they like and trying it out for size. If you don't know what to buy just give them money and let them do the purchase.

k3usr

Nov 16, 2007
    as soon as I have over 50 posts I'm going to get onboard with the you have to have >50 posts idea :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom