• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    When I first began in this hobby I mentioned that I was contemplating doing a hood mount to a member here who does installs for a living. He asked me if I really wanted to be exposed to all that EM. I went a different route.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    I am looking to get my 2m installed in my f150. I think I need a NMO Mount. Are any better than the others. And does an aluminum body ground plain differ from a steel body ground plain in any meaningful way?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I am looking to get my 2m installed in my f150. I think I need a NMO Mount. Are any better than the others. And does an aluminum body ground plain differ from a steel body ground plain in any meaningful way?

If you are going through the Aluminum body versus some kind of clamp mount you will want to put some anti-corrosive paste at the contact points and inside of the opening.

Such as:

https://www.dxengineering.com/searc...ring-kearnalex-connector-and-terminal-greases

I've seen it sold in smaller quantities like squeeze packets but I don't know where to find it packaged like that.

Last edited:

hollyb1

Oct 11, 2012
    Halethorpe
    Found an ad for an IC-725 for $250 on craigslist. I currently have my Tech license, anyone have any experience with this radio? Would it be a good first step into the world of HF from my UHF/VHF HTs?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    To expand on K31's reply, the aluminum body F-150 is said to require quite a bit of 'bonding' of the grounds between the frame/body, cab-bed, exhaust/frame in order to fully control noise.

FWIW, I installed an NMO in the roof of my steel '12 F-150 4-door and it was very easy. Hardest part was getting power into the cab to run the radio. You should be able to find a youtube how-to for your truck.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I'm looking for the official MDSF emergency channel to use once the virus takes down all infostructure and comms. I will need my Forum Fix even if the world is ending. :D

Have we picked a frequency yet? Who is in charge of the repeater and will be running Net Ops?

Stay safe my friends.

I'm looking for the official MDSF emergency channel to use once the virus takes down all infostructure and comms. I will need my Forum Fix even if the world is ending. :D

Have we picked a frequency yet? Who is in charge of the repeater and will be running Net Ops?

Stay safe my friends.

It's going to have to be one hell of a mess to take down all the infrastructure and Communications. Cell phones are pretty much automated and don't really need human interaction to continue to operate. Same with the internet. While Public Water Service does require treatment if for some reason that cannot be accomplished it's not going to mean they're going to shut the water off. It just means you may have to boil or filter it before you can consume it. And while the electrical grid is manned 24/7 it to can function autonomously if need be. The only caveat to that would be if this virus requires quarantine for a long period of time and it is still around during the hot months in the summer. Somebody has to be able to balance the load. We may end up with brown outs if it works the last that long

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    The above scenario - internet collapse - is why we should be developing an AREDN network in Maryland. An internet independent, decentralized network. I've got two nodes up at home, but no one to connect to. It is a difficult task given the terrain and foliage of central Maryland. With such a network, we could host a simple forum or list serve that could exchance traffic without people being online real time.

hollyb1

Oct 11, 2012
    Halethorpe
    The above scenario - internet collapse - is why we should be developing an AREDN network in Maryland. An internet independent, decentralized network. I've got two nodes up at home, but no one to connect to. It is a difficult task given the terrain and foliage of central Maryland. With such a network, we could host a simple forum or list serve that could exchance traffic without people being online real time.
    What does it take to get one set up? I was reading that initially you could build them with 2.4ghz wireless equipment but they moved to higher speed commercial equipment and the costs to build a node went way up?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    About $80 to put up a good node that can make a long distance link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075Q16P4X/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A3HCET3UGETZ2B&psc=1

Twice that if you want the node to serve as a relay between two nodes that can't communicate.

Bear in mind, that unless a majority of the backbone is installed at locations that offer a height advantage, this system will have limited success. The western US benefits greatly from its more diverse topography and its relative lack of dense foliage. Getting good links is dependent on getting the fresnel zone of the antenna beam out of the foliage.

I'm in a good location to make a link across the bay, but there are few tower installations near me that would provide access to my link. I could get a link up about 50 feet on a tower. AARC had a mesh group but activity seems to have died. They had some nodes (mesh, but not AREDN) on one of their towers, but I don't think they are active, and I don't think they were installed at significant height.

The great advantage of a system like AREDN is that it, like email, forums, or list serves allows people to exchange information not in real time. One could run a forum for local 'news', etc. personally, I get nearly all my local information from MDshooters, and if this sight were to go down, or my access to it prevented, I would be relegated to local radio, ham chatter (which granted, would probably tick up significantly), etc..

A well executed AREDN network could be a fantastic local asset in a grid down situation. Well executed meaning installed, operating, used, power independent, etc...

Personally, I think such a network could only be executed well on scale beyond that of any individual local radio club, in that clubs tend to focus on certain interests, and I'm fairly certain that a given club would set up a network to support those interest. For example, AARC is largely public service and would probably direct their efforts toward their support of the races that they provide comms to.

I'd be interested in supporting a network that is directed at providing grid down services and communications/information exchange in a grid down scenario.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Regarding local emergency communications, nothing stopping us from having our own plan, but there are already several systems in place, such as ARES and RACES.
    http://www.arrl.org/ares
    https://qsl.net/races/
    We have a 2 meter ARES net every Sunday night at 8pm on the W3CU repeater, 146.805. If that repeater goes down, we switch to the Arlington machine 146.625. If that repeater goes down, there are simplex plans.

If a severe weather event is occurring and SkyWarn is activated, the W3VPR machines (147.075 and 147.105) will be dedicated to SkyWarn traffic. Trained SkyWarn spotters in the area will check in with current reports. There are other regional SkyWarn coordinators on air during activation too, such as Bluemont/Mt Weather (147.300). See the National Weather Service website for Skywarn info.
    https://www.weather.gov/skywarn/

For more regional/national nets, you can find some on HF, like Amrron and there is another emergency net that meets regularly that is now a maritime net (14.300 mHz), but will change gears and run any emergency traffic if we have a SHTF situation.
    https://amrron.com/nets-regional-national/amrron-regionalnational-nets/
    http://14300.net/netinfoa.htm

We have a ham section over at ArfCom and they too have "a plan"...
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Ham_Radios/22/
    Visit the "Important Threads" sticky.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just passed the Technician exam Saturday the 7th, will take the General May 2nd. Hope to have call sign in 7-10 days. fred55

Congrats. It’s an eye-opening world, I’ve discovered. Also, it’s like a guild of cranky old wizards. Which is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom