Kicken Wing said I had to introduce myself...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Belgian Bad A$$

Tired of being ignored, living the single life!
    Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm finding some hilarious stuff on here but most important, good information. I appreciate you!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You ain't seen nothin' yet ! Just wait until 50 posts and you can visit the Water Cooler .

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I know I'm late in responding, but it is good to have you on the board.

You and your husband's story is similar to that of my own marriage. My wife came into our marriage with firearms. I met her in 2004, and we got married in 2007. At that time, I was not a firearm owner. I told her, "You take care of them. I don't want to know where they are. I'm not against them, but it's okay as long as you're the one who is responsible for them."

One day in 2010 we went to her sister's place in VA, and my brother-in-law was shooting a .303 British from his back porch into the woods. He asked me, "Do you want to try?" Oh, yeah. I said, "Sure." He coached me about the rifle and gun safety, and then set me up. He told me what to expect and to take my time. I took aim (open sights). Squeezed the trigger. I hit the can on the fence 80 yards out on my first shot. I was hooked.

But, it's not as straight-forward as it might seem. Yes, I enjoyed it, but how did I know how to aim and hit the can in the first place? I had BB & pellet guns growing up. I'd never shot a rifle. Due to a bad experience with a shotgun thanks to my father and brother when I was 20ish, I'd pretty much shrugged off any firearm involvement. It took a positive experience 25 years later with my brother-in-law to change. My wife reinforced the change by approving of my new obsession hobby. :D

Today, my 10 yr old is a good shot with both rifle and pistol. He will hopefully never know a day where a firearm is not part of his competence. It's all because someone took the time to provide a positive shooting experience. And, in my case, it was with a .303 British! In my son's case, his father taught him as soon as he was ready.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I know I'm late in responding, but it is good to have you on the board.

You and your husband's story is similar to that of my own marriage. My wife came into our marriage with firearms. I met her in 2004, and we got married in 2007. At that time, I was not a firearm owner. I told her, "You take care of them. I don't want to know where they are. I'm not against them, but it's okay as long as you're the one who is responsible for them."

One day in 2010 we went to her sister's place in VA, and my brother-in-law was shooting a .303 British from his back porch into the woods. He asked me, "Do you want to try?" Oh, yeah. I said, "Sure." He coached me about the rifle and gun safety, and then set me up. He told me what to expect and to take my time. I took aim (open sights). Squeezed the trigger. I hit the can on the fence 80 yards out on my first shot. I was hooked.

But, it's not as straight-forward as it might seem. Yes, I enjoyed it, but how did I know how to aim and hit the can in the first place? I had BB & pellet guns growing up. I'd never shot a rifle. Due to a bad experience with a shotgun thanks to my father and brother when I was 20ish, I'd pretty much shrugged off any firearm involvement. It took a positive experience 25 years later with my brother-in-law to change. My wife reinforced the change by approving of my new obsession hobby. :D

Today, my 10 yr old is a good shot with both rifle and pistol. He will hopefully never know a day where a firearm is not part of his competence. It's all because someone took the time to provide a positive shooting experience. And, in my case, it was with a .303 British! In my son's case, his father taught him as soon as he was ready.

Our stories are even more similar than you realize. It was 2 of my brother in-laws - one lives in Tennessee and the other in VA. The one from VA took his British .303 and it was the first thing that I ever fired. Coincidence? Or Twilight Zone?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Neat coincidence . But the .303's were not only widely available during the Golden Age of Military Surplus Firearms , they were particularly popular as actual Using Firearms .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom