• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I'm a yuuuge Trump supporter but I'm very concerned about this move. I understand the Presidents thinking but I see government abuse on the horizon when this country has another leftist in power. Damn

Trump White House Declares Support for California-Style Gun Confiscation Orders

The Trump White House released policy papers Monday declaring full support for California-style firearm confiscation orders.

Breitbart News has a copy of the release and it urges states to adopt Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPOs). Such orders allow firearms to be confiscated with a judge’s approval.

The White House suggests that ERPOs “allow law enforcement, with approval from a court, to remove firearms from individuals who are a demonstrated threat to themselves or others and temporarily to prevent individuals from purchasing new firearms.” They stressed that the orders “should be carefully tailored to ensure the due process rights of law-abiding citizens are protected.”

California adopted similar gun confiscation laws in 2015 and Southern California Public Radio reports that 190 orders requiring confiscation were issued 2016-2017 alone.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) signed California-style confiscation orders into law on Friday and the White House is urging other states to follow suit.

On March 1, 2018, Vice President Mike Pence took pains to focus on the need to guard “due process” in issuing ERPOs. Trump responded to Pence’s statement by saying, “Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court.”

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Breitbart is the National Enquirer of the political world. Steve Bannon does not have a great track record.

Steve Bannon got the boot from Breitbart months ago and has nothing to do with the site. Unfortunately this is solid information.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I think this already happens when someone is a threat to themselves or others. I know several occasions where the Sheriff has removed firearms from someone who was a threat (sent to hospital for evaluation). One time the Sheriff took the firearms to a relatives house for safe keeping.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Seems everyone has already forgotten Trump told us clearly his stance on the subject when he said "take the firearms first, then go to court"

I'm a Trump supporter but that kind of thinking is very dangerous and scares the hell out of me

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Seems to me if a judge thinks that a person is a threat to themselves or others, the person should be removed from the public, which means they will not have access during that time. Then when a doctor releases that person from the mental hospital, or from jail, by the police...then that person is considered no longer a threat to themselves or others....Am I missing something? Isn't that better due process?

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    I can see the police taking firearms for a person who is in questionable state however, I doubt they would be given to a relative. At least not in Maryland. This is just my opinion and not based upon any fact. The key here is having due process to be relieved of any property.

John

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I think this already happens when someone is a threat to themselves or others. I know several occasions where the Sheriff has removed firearms from someone who was a threat (sent to hospital for evaluation). One time the Sheriff took the firearms to a relatives house for safe keeping.

You are correct, my issue is this gives momentum to the wrong people.

His lackeys are still there.

This headline was simply clickbait.

Not an accurate description of Breitbart and it's likely far more conservative then the group here on MDS. It's all good however, no static here.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Seems to me if a judge thinks that a person is a threat to themselves or others, the person should be removed from the public. Then when a doctor releases that person from the mental hospital, or from jail, by the police...then that person is considered no longer a threat to themselves or others....Am I missing something? Isn't that due process?

Yep. The few cases I know about, an an administrative judge ordered an evaluation. The Sheriff went to the home took the person to the Hospital and removed the firearm(s) for safe keeping. One time a Deputy took the firearms to a family member of the admitted persons home. (This happened in MARYLAND - last year)

I don't think anyone is saying (even Trump) that the police take the firearms first, take the individual to hospital for evaluation then go to an administrative judge to approve everything that just happened.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I don't think anyone is saying (even Trump) that the police take the firearms first, take the individual to hospital for evaluation then go to an administrative judge to approve everything that just happened.

So you don't believe the words that came out of his mouth ?

And it wasn't simply a misstatement, he said it several times

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    He’s playing 4D chess. This is really a ploy to repeal the Hughes Amendment. Watch.

I’m truly hoping this is the case. He’s the master of 4D chess. Im still holding out but I voted for him in good faith and we’re having way more of a panic gun grabbing crisis than I woulda ever imagined with him at the helm.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    hopefully..

I’m truly hoping this is the case. He’s the master of 4D chess. Im still holding out but I voted for him in good faith and we’re having way more of a panic gun grabbing crisis than I woulda ever imagined with him at the helm.

last gasps of panicked fish because their assumed takeover was thwarted.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    So you don't believe the words that came out of his mouth ?

And it wasn't simply a misstatement, he said it several times

I did and I listened to the context and what he said after that one sentence. He was talking about the police going to that kids house several times. He said that police should have acted both with getting kid evaluated and taking the guns (normal practice when getting evaluated). He also said this:

PENCE: ... Adam Lanza's mother, who spoke to law enforcement, spoke to local officials. She was concerned over and over again. I know our colleagues from Connecticut lived this and saw it. But to literally give families some tools -- law enforcement -- as my state has done, as other states have done, to be able to take action to remove those weapons for either a set period of time, or -- or longer, to make sure that person can't be a threat.

TRUMP: I like that.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Talk is cheap, and easily misconstrued.

Actions will speak volumes, the sky isn't falling just yet.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    their was member few months back that had this happen to him they took his guns he was evaluated not committed tried to get his guns back after several attempts Leo took guns to a shop and something about owner of the guns had to purchase them back don't remember the whole story but it was several pages.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    their was member few months back that had this happen to him they took his guns he was evaluated not committed tried to get his guns back after several attempts Leo took guns to a shop and something about owner of the guns had to purchase them back don't remember the whole story but it was several pages.

I vaguely remember, he had to pass a nics check to get them back because they had been transferred to the FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom