• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    light is light. Ive watched deer totally oblivious to lightning, flashes, flashlights etc. You moving your body (making noise) on the other hand and your smell matters more than light. but like others have said red light doesn't ruin your night vision like white light does.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    While the new stuff maybe “better”, I still like the old military angle head flashlights. They are waterproof, have a clip so one can hang it on the belt or a shirt pocket. They come with filters; I use red to preserve night vision. Come with a spare bulb and have a loop for tying a cord to.

Streamlight has a small one like that. Not sure it takes filters.

But it’s hard to argue with LED lights that typically have weights a fraction of a halogen or incandescent bulb, several times longer run time and several times more light output.

If all else was equal most LEDs are about 10x more power efficient. That usually ends up translating as about half the weight (smaller batteries), double the run time and about 3x more light output. Or some variation of that.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I don't think it matters. If you get a cardboard box and shape it like an automobile and sling it over your shoulders with two flashlights upfront as headlights the deer will literally run right up to you and bump into the front of your costume.

Wonder if anyone keeps tally marks on their vehicle for kills, kind of like the fighter pilots did in WW2?:D
    I think the Mercedes on rt 32 this afternoon should qualify for one!:sad20:

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    White or red, you're still going to scare deer walking in if they see you.

I use this lamp for all my hunting. I use it on the kayak in the dark, waterfowl hunting and deer hunting. Even predator hunting with a red lens. This thing is a torch lighting up a feild 100+ yards away or can be dialed down for the walk in. Just uses 4AA rechargeable batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom