• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    Hi All,
    I bought a flat of Remington Game Loads (cheap target/dove ammo) from Cabela's on sale.
    When I got it I assumed UPS or Cabela's had packed or abused it in shipping. There was loose shot everywhere and some of the boxes had opened.
    I called Cabela's and they sent me 3 more boxes to make up for what was messed up (as a guess on the amount).
    The 3 new boxes had the same issues.
    At that point I contacted Remington through their website (no response)
    What I have are 13 boxes of shells that look like the hulls were never skived, the crimps are opening, are dished, or have holes in the middle.
    I have never seen factory ammo this bad in the 30 or so years I have been shooting.
    I assume it is safe as worst case there is less or no shot so pressures will be less not more but my god....
    Last Remington product I will buy and I own a lot of their products, guns and ammo both.
    It's the I don't give a shit part that bothers me from Remington, Cabela's has tried to do the right thing, as it turns out it wasn't their problem, it was non existent quality control from Remington

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I picked up a case of Remington gun clubs not too long ago and the few boxes I used this week had a few loose pellets at the bottom too, never seen it before either. Once I noticed I checked some crimps and they looked ok, they all cycled in my gun fine but definitely concerning

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Remington has been effing up a lot over the last few years. Small wonder they filed for bankruptcy. Only Rem product I own is a Model 51 pistol from the 1920s.

Pity they lost touch with their roots. Upstate NY and New England were the heart and soul of US firearms production until the Progressives took over. Never never elect a POTUS from Princeton.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Some of the duck hunters I've talked to mentioned blowing up guns because the wad from the previous shot hadn't left the barrel. I'd only use those shells in a break action shotgun, just so I could check without having to take the shotgun apart. YMMV.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I had a few boxes with loose shot in them too, also Cabela's sale box. My trap buddy had 3 dead rounds in a half a box of ammo. Good primer strike, but no fire. I tried them in my gun too just to be sure, and nothing.

Mine didn't look smashed or anything, but I'm guessing I might need to break in to my backup rounds one trap night soon.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Be very careful about using that ammo. Sometimes, without enough back pressure from the wad, the powder will not burn completely and you might end up with a wad stuck in the barrel. Not sure if it even makes sense to shoot that ammo versus taking it back to Bass Pro and asking for a refund. Let Bass Pro/Cabela's deal with getting reimbursed from Remington. Such a shame that Remington is coming to this. I like its STS target loads, Nitro-Steel, and Hevi-Shot loads, but I have not had to buy any of them lately.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    You might do a web search or check Remington's website to see if there's been a recall on ammunition of those types and lot numbers. If there's no recalls then Remington needs to be made aware of such issues. They can't fix what they don't know about...and if they already know and won't do anything that tells a lot about their management and attitudes towards customers and safety.

Posting here might warn members here but it doesn't do anything to help fix the situation. Remington should given a chance to make good.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You might do a web search or check Remington's website to see if there's been a recall on ammunition of those types and lot numbers. If there's no recalls then Remington needs to be made aware of such issues. They can fix what they don't know about...and if they already know and won't do anything that tells a lot about their management and attitudes towards customers and safety.

Posting here might warn members here but it doesn't do anything to help fix the situation. Remington should given a chance to make good.

This for sure. Helps others, helps the manufacturer, and helps you.

Be aware also that ammunition sales tend to be final. I know for a fact that Bass Pro/Cabelas will not accept returns on ammunition. I also know that this policy tends to be pretty much universal.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I remember other shooters guffawing at me as I stayed behind to go back over entire sporting clays courses (with permission) to pickup all the discarded once-fired factory flat-green-colored Rem 12ga Gun Club hulls I could for reloading and I’d tell ‘em, “Laugh away but, the day IS coming when the bean counters who now control Rem are going to switch over to the much cheaper to manufacture straight-walled Reifenhauser hull design ...”. I still say that day is approaching but, I have easily amassed and climate-controlled stored more hulls (and powder, shot and tapered hull wads) than I can likely reload and shoot in my remaining 25-30 years on this rock. What has befallen America’s Oldest Firearms Mfr is indeed unfortunate and sad ...

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I contacted Remington and waited a week to hear back before I posted anything. 3 weeks later I am still waiting to hear back. I have had bad Winchester shells in the past as well, but I can load much better ammo than this for about the same or less money.
    I believe Remington wont be in business much longer as a bad product ends up on discussion boards like this and it isn't that big a community - word gets out

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I shot an entire flat of Gun Clubs yesterday with no issues. I have another 10 flats at home that replaced the last 10 flats I shot up. I've never had a single problem.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I finally got a hold of someone at Remington. It looks like they are going to replace my flat of shells. I have a mail ticket to send back the bad flat. Apparently quality control is now laser guided and computerized and this wasn't caught. ..?

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Not to move away from Remington, but I Just ran into the exact same issue but with Winchester AAs when I bought five flats from Cabelas. Definitely like factory issues though and I’m working with both Cabelas and Winchester now.

1cd1b2e1602beccafefbbf654d1371a9.jpg

78b4a2db96c953fc357a5b0c242a6e6f.jpg

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I run Rem pheasant load almost exclusively when pheasant hunting and have yet to have an issue with them. My gut feeling is that target/dove loads across the board have minimal margins due to the low, low cost per round we wind up paying at most places. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "sale" ammo that gets out there is of a lesser quality as well.F

That said, I've seen loose shot in flats of Rem, Win, Fed, Rio, you name it. Everywhere you look, that target/club/dove grade stuff is going to be cheaply made and have some issues that aren't caught by un-manned QC lines.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    So final follow up, I am more than happy.
    Remington sent me a replacement flat of STS shells. They are too pretty to shoot

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Have not had issues with their shells but bought a case of subsonic 300blk and junk. I get 1 to 3 duds per box, good primer strikes, only ammo this particular rifle has any trouble with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom