• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Hey All... I'm looking at optics for my Ruger American Rimfire Target... what are all of you running? If you had to do it all over again, what would you change... if anything? Thanks in advance...

uFZpTQf.jpg

I'm using mine for unwanted critters/varmints and plinking. I'm running a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 on 1" low rings. If price were no object, I put a Leica 5-20x50 on it but, then I'd never get to shoot it because my wife would have killed me shortly afterwards when she saw that $2k was missing from our bank account.

I think purpose dictates. If you're planning to shoot NRL matches with it, obviously, you'd want to go with more magnification and an adjustable parallax. I seriously considered a 6-24x50 Vortex Diamondback.

Last edited:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'm using mine for unwanted critters/varmints and plinking. I'm running a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 on 1" low rings. If price were no object, I put a Leica 5-20x50 on it but, then I'd never get to shoot it because my wife would have killed me shortly afterwards when she saw that $2k was missing from our bank account.

I think purpose dictates. If you're planning to shoot NRL matches with it, obviously, you'd want to go with more magnification and an adjustable parallax. I seriously considered a 6-24x50 Vortex Diamondback.

lol! yeah, in the rarified air of "if price were no object" I'd be shopping Steiner, Leica, etc, but I don't have the budget of the DoD. I'm trying to keep glass for this beast in the $200-300 range. I found a Burris 6.5-20x50. I just need to find a local source for 1" rings and I can mount it this evening... hoping to have this rifle out again this weekend.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    lol! yeah, in the rarified air of "if price were no object" I'd be shopping Steiner, Leica, etc, but I don't have the budget of the DoD. I'm trying to keep glass for this beast in the $200-300 range. I found a Burris 6.5-20x50. I just need to find a local source for 1" rings and I can mount it this evening... hoping to have this rifle out again this weekend.

You're gonna like the Burris! Congrats! :party29:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    You're gonna like the Burris! Congrats! :party29:

I hope so... I thought they were made in USA though. The one I received is Made in the Philippines. I looked up reviews and see that the Asian made versions seem to be as good as their older American made counterparts. I guess time will tell. After rings, I'll be slightly over my $300 budget, but I really wanted a bit more magnification for 100+ yard shots...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I hope so... I thought they were made in USA though. The one I received is Made in the Philippines. I looked up reviews and see that the Asian made versions seem to be as good as their older American made counterparts. I guess time will tell. After rings, I'll be slightly over my $300 budget, but I really wanted a bit more magnification for 100+ yard shots...

My 4-14x40 is working pretty good for me but, I'm now kinda wishing I had got something a bit more powerful, like, up to 20x or more.

It's hard to find anything 100% USA made nowadays! I don't think Leupold is 100% either, in spite of what the box says. I'm pretty sure the glass in a VX3i is Japanese. Maybe the VX5's and VX6's are completely US-built but I don't know for sure. All I know it's gathers light like nobody's business, has exceptional clarity/resolution and the crosshair is just fine enough without being too fine to see clearly. I like it.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    My 4-14x40 is working pretty good for me but, I'm now kinda wishing I had got something a bit more powerful, like, up to 20x or more.

It's hard to find anything 100% USA made nowadays! I don't think Leupold is 100% either, in spite of what the box says. I'm pretty sure the glass in a VX3i is Japanese. Maybe the VX5's and VX6's are completely US-built but I don't know for sure. All I know it's gathers light like nobody's business, has exceptional clarity/resolution and the crosshair is just fine enough without being too fine to see clearly. I like it.

Some of the Japanese scopes are great! I still go online in the hopes of finding an older Tasco World Class that's running under the radar... before a lot of vendors switched to something other than brass bushings and smaller parts. The glass was respectable too. I was looking at Leupolds on ebay, but they were getting bit up to over $500 in most cases... for a used scope, that's a bit of a leap of faith.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Some of the Japanese scopes are great! I still go online in the hopes of finding an older Tasco World Class that's running under the radar... before a lot of vendors switched to something other than brass bushings and smaller parts. The glass was respectable too. I was looking at Leupolds on ebay, but they were getting bit up to over $500 in most cases... for a used scope, that's a bit of a leap of faith.

You, sir, are definitely a connoisseur! I thought I was the only one who appreciated how good those old Tasco scopes were! You couldn't beat them for the price and they could take a lot of abuse, too.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You, sir, are definitely a connoisseur! I thought I was the only one who appreciated how good those old Tasco scopes were! You couldn't beat them for the price and they could take a lot of abuse, too.
    I happen to have one of the old Tasco World Class scopes on my second deer rifle. It was given to me when I was 12-14. The scope was one of the older ones that was made in Japan or Korea, don't remember which one. Good glass is right.

The newer Tasco scores are utter crap, when compared to the older scopes. The new ones are dark, fuzzy, and all kinds of blarg.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011

Oooh... I love it when you call me names! lol! Seriously though... I had a Japanese made Tasco 36x World Class that I absolutely kick myself for parting with. At the time, I was more into fixed power scopes. I kept the Leupold M8 12x... it's currently on my .308 match rifle while I'm doing load development for 155 gr bullets. I had the Tasco 36x mounted on my HBAR while I was doing load development for Sierra 69 gr. HPBTM loads... after that, and I needed money for some other unknown project, I ended up selling it for $150 or so... which is about what I paid for it some years before. Now, if you can find one, they're going for twice that!

Anyway... here's todays results with the Burris 6.5-20x50. All are 10-shot groups fired at 50 yards from a rest. I tested Aguilla Match, Eley Target (two lots), and Eley Match Black-Extra... here's the best group of the day... Eley Target (Yellow box)... Next stop... 100 yards...

Attachments

• 20201108_142953.jpg
      20201108_142953.jpg
      76.6 KB · Views: 320
    • 20201108_153632.jpg
      20201108_153632.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 350

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members