• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    The Original Poster here. Thanks for the great advice. Per your collective advice, I'm taking it step-wise. I took it apart, cleaned it out.

Full disclosure, I'm a newbie to rifles, until now it has been just shotguns & revolvers. I thought that I'd start with the Ruger10/22LR first. And I've gotta admit that reassembling the 10/22 at the point of the bolt handle recoil spring & bolt reassembly was more challenging for me than the you tube videos suggested. Live & learn.

I'm going to hit the range tomorrow with CCI, I'll let you know how it goes.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Pull the bolt, place a round on the bolt face and see if it stays there or falls straight off. If it falls off, replace the extractor. Most of the standard OEM extractors are so sloppy they won't hold anything; they can be reshaped, but it's easier just to buy the Volquartsen.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I took some fine grit sandpaper to my receiver and everything else on the inside. It works great now.
    Can you take some photos of what you did? I'd like to see it. I've heard of people polishing the insides, but I don't know where to polish.

Thanks. I've got the stainless break down model, but also a blue standard 10/22.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    My receiver was extremely rough compared to my takedown model. So I took 600 grit dry sandpaper to all the rough areas in the inside of the receiver. Then ran 1000 grit over the same surfaces.
    But don't worry or overthink it. Put the bolt into the receiver with nothing else and slide it back and forth. Anywhere it touches the receiver lightly sand until the receiver is smooth. I also lightly sanded the spring rod.

OP-
    I also concur about the extractor replacement. That should absolutely be step one. In fact I would not even do or test anything else until you replace the extractor.
    Also try different magazines. The rotary magazines can be very finicky.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    Since we are on this topic, can anyone recommend a good 10/22 receiver with a rail molded on top? I picked up a heavy stainless Green Mountain barrel that is begging to be assembled. It seems like their a lot of options out there with prices all over the map. First 10/22 build. Just looking for recommendations that shooters have actually worked with.
    Thanks

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Since we are on this topic, can anyone recommend a good 10/22 receiver with a rail molded on top? I picked up a heavy stainless Green Mountain barrel that is begging to be assembled. It seems like their a lot of options out there with prices all over the map. First 10/22 build. Just looking for recommendations that shooters have actually worked with.
    Thanks

What's your budget? You can't go wrong with Kidd or Volquartsen. The summit receiver from Volquartsen looks pretty tempting. I've been contemplating doing a straight pull .22 build.

I'd probably look for something in the price range of the barrel. I had a GM 18" bull barrel and sold it because of the weight. It added almost 2lbs to the rifle. The accuracy was good but not as good as the Whistle Pig barrel I replaced it with. The WP is a steel lined aluminum shrouded style barrel. It's very accurate and much lighter. $.02

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    OP Here Circling Back

Thanks for all of the good advice.

The Ruger OEM ejector continued to stove pipe even after a strip down/cleaning, break-in rounds through, etc. So I replaced it with a Volquartsen. And absolutely NO FTEs since! Smooth as silk.

Best wishes for the New Year!

PFlyer

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thanks for all of the good advice.

The Ruger OEM ejector continued to stove pipe even after a strip down/cleaning, break-in rounds through, etc. So I replaced it with a Volquartsen. And absolutely NO FTEs since! Smooth as silk.

Best wishes for the New Year!

PFlyer

cool deal. I know I posted it once before but when I first got into rimfire I took a microscope from work and looked at several brands of cartridge rims. Ideally you would want it almost squared off with little roundness. the CCI was the best in terms of extending the flat part of the rim out further to the edge giving an extractor more area to grab before slipping. Remington tended have a worse one. With any semi auto I'll throw in some remington thunderbolts and see if they work, if they work with that, they tend to work with anything. Sucks that even with 22, the range makes you buy their stuff. They should at least sell you minimags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom