• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Criminal Code § 4-305. Detachable magazines -- Prohibited Westlaw Link 4-305 (a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to: (1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; or (2) a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State. (b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

"receive and Transfer" are vague.
    If I were to go to my cousins in Va for the weekend, and brought some guns that had 15 round mags, (that were grandfathered in) then when I returned, would I not be transferring them??
    Also the law makes no mention of keeping mags (over 10 rnds) that were in possession prior to the law?
    Seems like a door open to interoperation?

Slack

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If you take possesssion of them in VA, you enter back into MD with them in your possession. You just can’t have them transferred to you while you’re on MD soil.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No intersection of MD law and logic. Get used to it, it gets worse the more you try to understand. Rather than understand it, you must just memorize what has been passed.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Get 'em while you can.

Look for more infringement by the GA this session.

Develop an exit strategy.

And don't bother trying to find a reason for unreasonable behavior. It wastes your time, and annoys their majesties.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    MD law only applies in MD. Buy your mags in one of the free states and bring them back. The transfer didn't happen here.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Get 'em while you can.

I sure wish that was just a rhetorical phrase. I suspect that we'll soon see the liberals pushing a possession ban, MAYBE with a grandfather clause, but you never know. I'm sure they're taking great pleasure knowing that NJ went all the way with it. But yeah, buy those mags. Early, and often.

Last edited:

JakeThePit

Mar 11, 2018
    Get 'em while you can.

Look for more infringement by the GA this session.

On the nose.

I fear that soon, the legal, acquired in VA, Glock 33 round fun sticks I have for my Ruger PC Carbine will need to be turned in to the Gestapo.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I sure wish that wasn't just a rhetorical phrase. I suspect that we'll soon see the liberals pushing a possession ban, MAYBE with a grandfather clause, but you never know. I'm sure they're taking great pleasure knowing that NJ went all the way with it. But yeah, buy those mags. Early, and often.

S'not rhetorical.

Note that the oppressed citizenry of NJ have not turned in any of their verboten mags.

Most of the citizens of NY have neglected to register their EBRs per the state's "Safe"act.

Connecticut is also facing a lot of non-compliance.

Boulder Colorado is plastered with "We will not comply" signage.

If lawmakers legislate and citizens reject the legislation, it generates disrespect for law. Respect for legislators has not been stellar of late, either.
    Of course, respect should be earned. Maybe that's a clue for the clueless?

Once you have 'em, what you gonna do with them? Give it some thought. Don't post your thoughts here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Working backwards :

You can't presently purchase a Grandfathered firearm . It is only grandfathered for the person who owned it on Sept 30 , 2013 . One that person sells/ gives away/ transfers/ etc that firearm , its Grandfathered Status vaporizes .

If you are aquiring a firearm in Va ( or any other jurisdictions other than Md ) , an FFL must be utilized .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    The only thing this does is hurt "Businesses" in Maryland , the businesses that pay Md. tax and employ Md. citizens . One of the dumbest laws next to the Red Flag law and really most laws that are in Maryland .

The politicians here in Maryland are some of the dumbest most naive idiots anywhere in our nation . They would not know the truth or facts if it bit them in the azz .

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I sure wish that was just a rhetorical phrase. I suspect that we'll soon see the liberals pushing a possession ban, MAYBE with a grandfather clause, but you never know. I'm sure they're taking great pleasure knowing that NJ went all the way with it. But yeah, buy those mags. Early, and often.

I am actually more concerned about the potential abuses of a "grandfather" clause. Such a clause which purports to allow some people to continue to own there property while dening others the opportunity to purchase and own that exact same property would require some sort of voluntary registration. What that registry is ultimately used for is anybody's guess. The real problem with mags is most of them have absolutely no markings serial numbers etc, which can distinguish those manufactured 12 years ago from those manufactured yesterday.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The only thing this does is hurt "Businesses" in Maryland , the businesses that pay Md. tax and employ Md. citizens . One of the dumbest laws next to the Red Flag law and really most laws that are in Maryland .

The politicians here in Maryland are some of the dumbest most naive idiots anywhere in our nation . They would not know the truth or facts if it bit them in the azz .

I'd classify it as lazy perhaps. The laziness subsided on their bumpstock law though. They really buttoned that one down. Delegate Moon must have really been hitting the Google and Youtube on that one. I recall many gun bills being defeated just by argument they couldn't be legally implemented. I think Vermont just passed a Bill they can't use, another NICs check fiasco. When you look at gun bills MGA introduces they'll typically pass unless the challenge or their fear is a legal one of passing it. Some of their concern has been recently addressed here in Maryland, other states and nationally.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Quick question. Can I buy a rifle in another state with a >10 round mag? In other words, if I'm at a dealer in VA attempting to buy a rifle with a 15 round mag and I present my Maryland driver's license, will they sell me the rifle in that configuration?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Maryland politicians don't give a shit about gun owners or small business owners.
    For them, this kind of thing is a twofer.

xKtF

Nov 5, 2018
    Quick question. Can I buy a rifle in another state with a >10 round mag? In other words, if I'm at a dealer in VA attempting to buy a rifle with a 15 round mag and I present my Maryland driver's license, will they sell me the rifle in that configuration?

If its a MD compliant rifle I don't see why not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom