• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-to-san-bernadino-attacks-20151204-story.html

Gov. Larry Hogan said Friday gun control laws did not prevent a mass shooting in California or a spate of violence in Baltimore, and he suggested that public officials need to look elsewhere for answers.

Hogan told reporters that the killing of 14 people in San Bernadino, California this week was an "outrage" and terrible tragedy, but that gun control was "not the only solution."

"This issue goes beyond gun control," the Republican said outside a Baltimore diner.

"California has the toughest laws in the country. We probably have the second toughest. It hasn't stopped us. We have more than 315 murders here in Baltimore City, we had a tragedy in California," Hogan said. "We've got to come up with better answers."

Hogan said he has asked the federal government to be vigiliant and suggested that it was possible for policing to prevent future attacks.

"I can tell you we're on top of things here in Maryland and we're going to try to stop things like that from happening here," Hogan said.

Thursday night, the governor released a statement announcing flags in Maryland would be flown at half staff in rememberance of the victims killed Wednesday. Police say a husband and wife attacked a government building, where the man worked, with military-style assault rifles and handguns, killing 14 and injuring another 21.

Discuss...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Notice Hogan is proposing a Big Government solution.

There is nothing in the article about allowing the constituency protect itself!

Megiddo

Nov 19, 2010
    gun control was "not the only solution."

What??? I'd say it is NO solution. Showing that gun control is a complete failure.
    Stop it, just stop trying to keep people from protecting themselves.

I'm sure Hogan doesn't think gun control is the answer or more of it is... just a strangely worded sentence. Or I read it wrong.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Personally, I read it as keeping our authorities as vigilant as they can be.

He mentions that gun control laws haven't stymied the murder rate in Baltimore (which is the highest per capita IN HISTORY).

Of course I'd love for him to mention the civilian element -- we all would.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I would like to hear him say that they should discuss the gun laws and make some changes so citizens can protect themselves. I am not holding my breath.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I like what Hogan said, at least he's speaking out and laying the ground work to veto any crazy bills that try to get through here in Maryland.

He's also speaking to the middle, and that's what got him elected in the first place. A lot of democrats voted for Hogan, the 'common sense' type and moderates.

Lastly, I think he's being just as honest now, has he has been all along. Hogans use of the word 'only' means to me that he feels there does need to be some kind of control, but not needing or wanting to define it here. He's also saying we ALREADY have among the most strict gun laws in the nation (second only to California he speculates); so we don't need more. But he says it in his typical, professional, and measured way.

I'm becoming a fan of Hogan, might vote for him again!

Full disclosure: I'm a registered Democrat and I quite frequently remind people this, especially when I want to talk about gun issues; it turns a few heads. But I've learned, self-defense, and 'gun' issues really isn't a partisan issue; contrary to what the national party (both sides) would lead you to believe. Politicizing 'gun-issues' matters least as a political the closer it comes to home (state and local government); but matters most when it gets local, especially you, your family and where you live.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    If the solutions have to do with getting people with mental illness the help they need, then yes, I'd support that.

If the solution means that uncle Sam can listen in on my phone calls or search through my phone pictures in the name of security then I'm not as enthusiastic.

Does anyone know if the FBI planes are still flying over Baltimore?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I'm reading between the lines...:secret: but the nabob would surely disagree...:rolleyes:

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    So he's rejecting more gun control lwas? That's good!

He's not advocating unlimited CCW? You ddn't really expect that, did you?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    With the Fox 45 survey yesterday with 95% in favor of arming themselves vs 5% in favor of gun control, the Governor's statement isnt very bold.

im pretty sure i'd be driving to annapolis for an impromtu friday night street party if he had announced something positive about carry.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    On Facebook

Many are saying that Hogan can't instruct MSP in how to interpret G&S because AG Frosh has already shot that down in his 'opinion'. Frosh's opinion isn't law and the MSP reports to Hogan NOT Frosh.

We need a full court press against ol' soup-strainer because he is overstepping his authority in more than one area where he has no business making policy. I'm still hoping that Hogan whacks his pee-pee over siding with Obama on the climate change initiative.

Attachments

• bailiff+whack+his+pee+pee.jpg
      bailiff+whack+his+pee+pee.jpg
      22.1 KB · Views: 1,313

bogus130

Jan 23, 2013
    I take that as a positive mainly because we are in MD and anything that doesn't scream gun control is a positive and he does say that gun control isn't working here in MD.

I also don't think 2A issues are really ever on his radar so his stance is neutral. Based on what he said I think that when new gun control measures are brought up in the GA that he will be on our side and really scrutinize how this would help lessen gun violence. Especially if the new control measure increases spending somehow (which is also where I think we need to focus on with him but, that's another topic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom