• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    This is my dads shotty, haven't shot it myself in probly 4 years. Last time i took it out to bust some skeet i was having alot of problems with it not wanting to fire the second shot. Was wondering if this is a common problem with an easy fix?

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    This might sound dumb, but have you really cleaned it beforehand? Maybe there's some junk making the internals stick. I really don't have experience with O/Us so I can't say for sure.

Also, obligatory:
    :needpics:

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    Haha, sorry its at home, i'll get some pics next time. I've never broken it down and cleaned the internals so its more than likely due for a thorough cleaning.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    That gun has inertia triggers. It takes a combination of recoil from the first bbl going off, as well as having to fully release the trigger for the second shot to fire. If you have a real tight grip on the gun, shoot and hold the trigger back, it won't fire again until you release. Cleaning and making sure that inertia block is "lightly" lubed is a good idea, but you need to loosen up on that "death grip".

To test any single trigger SXS or O/U to see if you have mechanical or inertia triggers, do the following with snap caps or empties: Close the gun and pull the trigger once. You will hear and feel the hammer drop. Now pull the trigger again. If the second hammer drops, it has mechanical triggers. If not, it has inertia triggers. Now, with the gun still closed, hold it around the wrist with one hand and "smartly" give it a whack on the butt with your other hand. That will simulate the recoil to set the second trigger. Now pull the trigger and you will see that the second hammer will now fall.

Last edited:

dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    I think cleaning will solve your problem. I've had a similar problem with a rifle and found it was the buildup of gunk in the bolt assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom