• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    Well, talk is cheap, so here is a picture of my new rifle that I bought over a month ago from Dan, and just finished setting up.
    Specs:
    Remington SS 5R MilSpec .308
    EGW 20moa picatinny rail
    TPS TSR tactical 30mm alloy steel low rings
    SWFA 10x42M tactical scope
    non externally adjustable X-Mark trigger tuned to 2 3/4 lbs
    Harris bipod

Now I just need to work up some loads, and it will be off to the range to see what it can do!
    :party29:

Attachments

• 5Ra.jpg
      5Ra.jpg
      77.2 KB · Views: 574

jerielg

Old Guy
    Jan 10, 2010
    Paw Paw, WV
    Congratulations. They're great rifles. Mine shoots great with Federal Gold Medal Match. I'm hoping to start hand loading for it soon.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Awesome rifle. Does anyone else run their rings that close to the ends of the scope tube? I'd worry about scope damage with the front rings being right on the eyepiece.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Congrats on a very nice rifle...there are quite a few of us on here with 5R's, myself included.

IRT the question from Russ, dunno...I probably went to the other extreme, I have my rings closer towards the middle, I wanted equidistant spacing of the rings from the scope center, but to get proper eye relief, the whole thing takes up all of the rail. It works for me: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=25796

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I would say that the rings have about .15 inches clearance from the eye piece, and the same to the bell in front. If the scope were to move in the rings, I would certainly notice it, but the 4 ring screws are torqued to 20 inch pounds on both rings and I am not worried about the scope moving and damaging my scope.

Last edited:

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Looks nice. I've been thinking about one of these for my next purchase.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I went with CDI bottom metal. I sent in just the stock and it came back in just over 1 week. All I had to do was cut the receiver bolts to length and adjust the mag release. I'm very pleased with the CDi bottom metal for $269 shipped. They also make a composite block to use for loading onesies at the range, which is very nice to have.

The stock is the regular HS precision stock. A local benchrest gunsmith Bob White of Hopatcong NJ suggested glass bedding the stock which I had him do for me. He said that at worst, it would shoot no better, but he thinks that bedding an HS Precision stock that has the aluminum bedding block can get rid of those unexplained flyers that you may occasionally see by giving the receiver full contact with the receiver. It shoots consistantly under .4moa groups now shooting 175 gr Matchkings over 43.0 gr of Varget.

The bolt knob was a eBay knob that I purchased and intalled myself.

The optic is a SWFA 10x42HD which is really sweet, very clear glass. I would love to have had a bigger optic budget, but I am satisfied with my 10x. I started out with their regular 10x42M side parallax adjustment which I got new because SWFA sent me the wrong used scope that I purchased, and then I sold it to upgrade to a mil/mil scope and bought a used 10x42HD off of the Hide classifieds. It had a focusing issue so SWFA sent me a brand new scope. All I have in it is about $450.

The muzzle is also threaded 5/8"x24 that a local machinist did for me for my Smith Vortex hider.

A local coating shop did the Cerakote for only $85; a pretty good deal I think. I had to take apart the bolt before they coated because they don't want to be gunsmiths.

I replaced the X-Mark POS factory recall with an old style Remington trigger adjusted to a light 1lb 5oz setting, a really great improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom