• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    Isn't refusing to sell a rifle to someone under 21 the same discrimination as if a liquor store refuses to sell alcohol to someone who is under 25. They would be violating federal law,or, am I wrong.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Good luck everyone getting the Supreme court to recognize 18-21 year olds as a protected class under the 2nd amendment. Not with the current crop of justices.

Kennedy says gay people can marry, but not protect themselves or their lifestyle.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Flip side is this is great news for the LGS across the land. ;)

If this keeps up you'll see all firearms removed from all big box stores.

lawdogmd

Oct 18, 2013
    Age Discrimination

So, I also posted this in the thread on Dick's. I am well past 21 but I do interact with younger shooters from time to time so I care about this issue. My own kids will one day be 18 and I care about their future. I am not a civil or human rights attorney but I do know that Maryland has laws that prohibit age discrimination in public accomodations. Public accomodations include retail establishments selling to the general public. Take a look at http://mccr.maryland.gov/Pages/Public-Accommodations-Discrimination.aspx

So, under Maryland law refusing to sell a long gun to an 18yo is the same as refusing to sell a gun to a woman, a black person, a gay person, or a muslim.

I do hope this gets pressed.

Walmart and Dick's could, without repercussion, cease sales of firearms. No legal issue BUT if they engage in age discrimination there are several states where there would be an issue.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    wait, they still sell guns?

I would literally rather be beaten, dipped in hot acid, and burned alive than shop at Wal Mart

They will occasionally sell the ranch style Ruger Mini-14 in the low $600 range.

Flip side is this is great news for the LGS across the land. ;)

Agree. :thumbsup:

So, I also posted this in the thread on Dick's. I am well past 21 but I do interact with younger shooters from time to time so I care about this issue. My own kids will one day be 18 and I care about their future. I am not a civil or human rights attorney but I do know that Maryland has laws that prohibit age discrimination in public accomodations. Public accomodations include retail establishments selling to the general public. Take a look at http://mccr.maryland.gov/Pages/Public-Accommodations-Discrimination.aspx

So, under Maryland law refusing to sell a long gun to an 18yo is the same as refusing to sell a gun to a woman, a black person, a gay person, or a muslim.

I do hope this gets pressed.

Walmart and Dick's could, without repercussion, cease sales of firearms. No legal issue BUT if they engage in age discrimination there are several states where there would be an issue.

Thanks for sharing this perspective - need to find the related thread.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    The way I see this playing out is all the corps and chain stores will hop on this bandwagon. Then security camera video will pop up of some <21yo shooter paying a homeless person $2 to buy a $10 box of ammo. The media will demand laws put on the books to prosecute the homeless person, "It is common sense that this should be illegal and it would have prevented...". Senator Feinstein will use this as another blank check to introduce all kinds of crazy ammo restrictions.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Are they stopping alcohol sales? How many die annually from drunk driving? Ditto for cell phones and distracted driving?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

They will occasionally sell the ranch style Ruger Mini-14 in the low $600 range.

Not since sandy hook have I seen those prices.
    Back then it was 630. I remember that because I was at wallys that afternoon and almost bought the one they had on display but hesitated. The next day it was gone. Now with tax n all it'll run you 800+

Anwil6

May 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Ammo prices are damn good! And in the backwoods of NC, it’s the best place in town to by cost effective rounds for target shooting. Dick’s on the other hand, will not receive one brown cent from me or my immediate family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    This sucks because I buy a LOT of stuff from the Wal-Mart that is about 5 minutes from my driveway. Guess I'll be moving the Rx and any grocery shopping to elsewhere.

Rus

MDS Supporter
    Nov 27, 2017
    No. Carroll County
    My thought exactly !

How can they reject a non-prohibited purchaser? Isn’t this akin to a bakery refusing to sell to a gay couple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference being that the bakery chose integrity over money, Walmart the opposite.

primerk5

Sep 25, 2011
    Was in the Walmart in Hunt Valley and they have a sign posted on the ammunition cabinets

"Federal Law
    Requires That
    YOU MUST be 21 years of age or older to purchase
    handgun ammunition

YOU MUST be 18 years of age or older to purchase
    shotgun rifles or ammunition for shotguns or rifles.

YOU MUST show positive proof of identification,
    proof of age and proof of residency. A current valid
    driver's license is the most accepted form of
    identification."

I took a picture but I don't have any way of hosting it.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I hear no outrage from liberals over this, but guess what they're all up in arms about today????

DXJ-avUUQAArCGb

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    We have routinely seen the boys from engage armament down in Annapolis testifying in support of the 2a. On target led the fight for 8 day release. I see no reason to support box-stores for anything gun related when our local mom and pop stores stand up for my rights.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    We have routinely seen the boys from engage armament down in Annapolis testifying in support of the 2a. On target led the fight for 8 day release. I see no reason to support box-stores for anything gun related when our local mom and pop stores stand up for my rights.

Oh i'm with you, but i'm saying for anything from Walmart is now off limits, beef jerky, tube socks, econo size bottles of teeth rotting soda...

Not just ammo and guns, they are dead to me I say dead...:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom