• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Strictly a hypothetical question (since I have my HQL), but I'm not sure that this issue has come up before. Since on a federal level, any non-prohibited person is able to build a handgun for their own use (provided that it is not transferred), can a non-prohibited MD resident who does not posses an HQL still construct a handgun or would they be required to get their qualification license first?

Just curious.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You mean from scratch, like say an 80% AR lower? No. HQL is for purchase, not building or possession.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    An HQL is required for TRANSFERS, not just purchases. If you are using the regulated component (like a GLOCK frame), then you need the HQL to acquire it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    An HQL is required for TRANSFERS, not just purchases. If you are using the regulated component (like a GLOCK frame), then you need the HQL to acquire it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is actually up for debate. If you get a stripped Glock frame, you can assemble it, and mate it to a pistol slide, or into a quasi-upper, so you have a rifle. IIRC, I was told by an IP, that you do not need an HQL to by the stripped frame of a handgun, because you can use it as the base for a rifle. Also, because the frame is stripped, it can not legally be classified as a pistol or a rifle. It should be transferred as "other".

glock_full_full-tfb.jpeg

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    That is actually up for debate. If you get a stripped Glock frame, you can assemble it, and mate it to a pistol slide, or into a quasi-upper, so you have a rifle. IIRC, I was told by an IP, that you do not need an HQL to by the stripped frame of a handgun, because you can use it as the base for a rifle. Also, because the frame is stripped, it can not legally be classified as a pistol or a rifle. It should be transferred as "other".

glock_full_full-tfb.jpeg

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

The transfer must still go through an FFL. So, if you can find an FFL that will treat a GLOCK frame as "other" for a possible long gun build, then I guess you don't need the HQL. If you find one, please let us know!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A frame doesn't meet the statutory definition of a pistol, and it's an "other," so they should not be requiring an HQL for it.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    A frame doesn't meet the statutory definition of a pistol, and it's an "other," so they should not be requiring an HQL for it.

I am not arguing with your logic, I'm just saying that if you find an FFL that sees it the same way, let us know.

I just waited the statutory 7 days for a GLOCK 17 Gen3 frame. It was treated as a pistol. I'm not sure how many FFLs are "current" on the topic and none are going to take risky and unnecessary chances that I know of.

Again, if you know one, send me the name in an IM or post it here. I'm sure they'd love the business.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I think some friends in MD have found one or two who will, but I'm not sure. I was going to try to get a stripped Glock frame or a Glock lower assembly that way, but then I reaized that I didn't actually want to do another MD77R.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    An interesting poser and one that, presuming you're seriously considering, would be worth consulting a Maryland firearm law attorney about....but I believe that as long as you're manufacturing the sidearm from non-serialized components and you don't sell or transfer the finished product, no HQL is required.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    An interesting poser and one that, presuming you're seriously considering, would be worth consulting a Maryland firearm law attorney about....but I believe that as long as you're manufacturing the sidearm from non-serialized components and you don't sell or transfer the finished product, no HQL is required.
    Ask Nate at Engage. You might be wrong. :innocent0

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Lets keep feeding the anti's with new things to go after. I know lets have a brainstorming session on a public forum to see what they can come after next ...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lets keep feeding the anti's with new things to go after. I know lets have a brainstorming session on a public forum to see what they can come after next ...

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 2701530.jpg
      2701530.jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 343

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads