• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Might be considering another semi-auto Tactical Shotgun. I already have a VEPR-12, which is an AK shotgun similar to a Saiga 12. And I also have a Rem 870 pump. How do the Benelli M2 and Mossberg 930 compare? I really really want the Benelli, but its extremely expensive. The Mossberg 930 is a lot cheaper. My problem with Mossberg though is almost all their shorter barrel shotguns don't accept interchangeable chokes, while the Benelli's do. I could also go for another pump like the Mossberg 500/590 series, but again no chokes on the shorter barrel shotguns. I know a shorter barrel is not ideal for shooting clays, but I would just like to have the versatility there. At least on the AK shotguns, you can throw a external choke on them. Im kinda going for the pistol grip stock and ghost ring sights like the Benelli M2 and Benelli M4s have. Benelli M4s are wayy out of my price range.

Or I could go get a MKA-19 for a cheap, cool tactical shotgun. :D.......any experience with those?

Thanks-

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    I would initially say m2. Its a much better gun. What do you want to use it for.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Look at the Remington Versa Max. Many parts interchange with the Benelli, but a bit less money.

I have heard spotty reports about the Mossberg, some love them, some hate them.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    As far as a purpose, I kindve just want one lol. Cool factor. Especially the Benelli. But, maybe home defense, a slug throwing range toy, casual clay shooting, and plinking. My shotguns dont get out of the safe as much as my rifles unfortunately. But I do like to target shoot with 12 gauge slugs sometimes. So, yeah. Basically thinking about dropping 1,200 dollars for a cool range toy. Thats my dilemma. The Benelli has the chokes so it would be more versatile. I might look for a well taken care of used M2 for less money. I dont think they go bad or wear out. The recoil operation of the M2 seems kindve cool. The 930 is conventional gas operation and seems basically a gas operated pump and more crudely made.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Look at the Remington Versa Max. Many parts interchange with the Benelli, but a bit less money.

^ This. Versamax is a copy of the benelli argo gas system when the patent ran out. Apparently close enough that many of the trigger bits interchange.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I know a guy with 930 that doesn't run well. I also know a guy with a 930 that does run well. I haven't personally met a guy whose Benelli doesn't run well.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a mossy 930 tactical. It's nice and mine runs great. My friend has a benelli m4. I'd rather have the benelli. The mossberg 930 is ok but not I. The same ballpark.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    For the money, I'll take the Mossberg. I'm not going to use the shotgun for competitions or work so the 930 will do nicely.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    For the money, I'll take the Mossberg. I'm not going to use the shotgun for competitions or work so the 930 will do nicely.

It really does come down to a lot of different variables for the buyer. For instance, how much one will use it, how much joy one gets from shooting, how deep one's pockets are, etc. All I know is that I bought my Benelli SBE when I had no pockets. In fact, I was just looking at it for poops and giggles at Galyans and my dad said, "Do you want it?" I replied, "Yeah." He then agreed to loan me the money until I got my Christmas bonus and the rest is 17 years of history this past November.

Thing is, I really do enjoy hunting and shooting. Hunting, shooting, fishing, and cycling have been pretty much my hobbies/obsessions since I was 5 years old, and that was 38 years ago.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    As far as a purpose, I kindve just want one lol. Cool factor. Especially the Benelli. But, maybe home defense, a slug throwing range toy, casual clay shooting, and plinking. My shotguns dont get out of the safe as much as my rifles unfortunately. But I do like to target shoot with 12 gauge slugs sometimes. So, yeah. Basically thinking about dropping 1,200 dollars for a cool range toy. Thats my dilemma. The Benelli has the chokes so it would be more versatile. I might look for a well taken care of used M2 for less money. I dont think they go bad or wear out. The recoil operation of the M2 seems kindve cool. The 930 is conventional gas operation and seems basically a gas operated pump and more crudely made.

Some trap and skeet ranges have barrel length limits that prevent using tactical shotguns.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    ...if you are patient and keep your eyes open, Benelli M1 or M2 can be had for around $700. Same goes for extra barrels...bide your time. Shop wisely. Deals are out there.

For Fab, I get it. I was going for benefit of the doubt given Pinto's rep for inherently dangerous design... Would have drawn too much unecessary fire...

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblog.png

Benelli M2. It just purrs to be fired. Light, fast and accurate. I want to put some buckshot on big cardboard to see it's range patterns. It will bite my thumb reloading. I'd like to fix that.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    ...if you are patient and keep your eyes open, Benelli M1 or M2 can be had for around $700. Same goes for extra barrels...bide your time. Shop wisely. Deals are out there.

For Fab, I get it. I was going for benefit of the doubt given Pinto's rep for inherently dangerous design... Would have drawn too much unecessary fire...

I was just messing with you, but you probably know that anyway. I actually like the Ford Focus we own, and have been thinking about getting the ST version even though my wife keeps saying "No, No, No!!!!!!!!, we need an Expedition before we need another Focus!!!!!".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom