• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I got hooked on shooting bowling pins about 35 years ago and still enjoy it even though my skill and speed have deteriorated severely over the decades. Normally, I'd just lube-up one of my 1911's, head to the range tomorrow morning and hope for the best but, alas, I'm 1911-less (at the moment) and limited to using 9mm.

I'm used to the greater margin of error that .45 has over 9mm. With .45, it seems like all ya gotta do is hit the pin somewhere to knock it off the table completely; with 9mm, it takes a precise, well-aimed shot which slows you down. I'm struggling with expectations. There's going to be a couple of double-stack .45's and .40's shooting tomorrow. Those guys just get up on-line, blaze away and post incredible times under 4 seconds. I know I'm not going to be able to hang with them. Realistically, though, I'd be satisfied with times in the 7 to 8 second range, which I think is do-able even with my diminished abilities. I guess my question is, is there anyone else shooting pins with a 9mm on a regular basis and how are you doing with it?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Don’t see one listed on the AGC calendar. This post was misleading.

I wasn't promoting the match. I was asking if anyone else was shooting pins with a 9mm and how they were doing? How was that misleading in any way?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    147 gr flat points will do the job. It's been years since there was a local pin match here in NOVA, though.

I'm going to have to give them a try. Federal? Or, did you load them yourself?

This month, I'm going to try Winchester White Box NATO 124gr. FMJ just because I know they're a bit warmer than other factory loads and very accurate in the pistol I'll be shooting.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I've been shooting pins with a 9mm for like 7 years. 147gr zero hp and Berry's plated 124 hp are two of my favorite performers. Stay away from standard round nose if you can

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I've been shooting pins with a 9mm for like 7 years. 147gr zero hp and Berry's plated 124 hp are two of my favorite performers. Stay away from standard round nose if you can

I could definitely see where both flat nose and hollow point projectiles would be better performers on pins than round nose FMJ. Depending on how it goes today, that may be the way I go for the next match. My CZ SP-01 Shadow doesn't seem to have any preference as far as projectile shape is concerned. It functions just as reliably with JHP as it does FMJ, although, I haven't tried any flat point bullets in it yet.

Have you ever chronographed any of your 9mm loads? WWB NATO 124gr seems to be among the warmer factory loads I've researched for plinking/practice purposes: 1140 FPS from a 5" barrel versus 1020-1060 for my two other favorite factory loads, Sellier & Bellot and Geco 124gr. Plus, it shoots extremely accurate. I'm hoping that little extra 'oomph' will translate into less follow-up shots to get the pin completely off the table.

My previous club used to move the pins about 3-4" closer to the edge of the table for 9mm shooters but MPC doesn't make a power-factor distinction between calibers for bowling pin matches. I think that's the case for most matches. I'd like to use 9mm on a regular basis but I'd like to use it without getting smoked every month!

Thanks again for your input! :thumbsup:

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    The title was, I was looking for match info like ToolAA. So I’ve shot 9, .38, .45, & 22lr in pin matches. I do agree 45acp knocks them down with authority with low recoil. However I can shoot a little faster with 9mm. I don’t reload so I’ll shoot factory 115s in 9mm, 138g lrn in 38, or 230g fmj in 45.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The title was, I was looking for match info like ToolAA. So I’ve shot 9, .38, .45, & 22lr in pin matches. I do agree 45acp knocks them down with authority with low recoil. However I can shoot a little faster with 9mm. I don’t reload so I’ll shoot factory 115s in 9mm, 138g lrn in 38, or 230g fmj in 45.

Gotcha. Sorry about that. I didn't consider that in my thread title. Do you find yourself taking more follow-up shots with 9mm than .45? Or, about the same?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

Most clubs don't use major/minor power factor. And the pins are set up front for everyone. If we were setting pins at the front of our tables using 9mm would seem less ideal.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Did so-so today, ranging from the mid 8's to the low 12 second range. Reason: too many follow-up shots because the pins didn't go completely off the table with the first shot. 9mm, what can I say? Had a lot of fun and weatherwise it turned-out to be a great day to go to the range even if it was a little breezy. I think my average time for six relays (throwing-out the worst time) was slightly under 10 seconds.

However, I think I'm going to give it another try using either some flat or hollow point projectiles to see if they work any better. It mainly felt good to just get outdoors and shoot outside after being cooped-up inside for a few months. I'll trade that for improved times and scores right now! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Now that MPC allows PCC’s was anyone shooting the match with a PCC?

I don't think there's a class for PCC in pin matches but, no, I didn't see any. A few Glocks and 1911's in Stock class. I was the only one shooting a CZ. .22 Class had the most participants.

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    If someone shows up at a pin shoot I'm attending and wants to use FMJ anything and the event master allows, then I'm out of there. Pins at 25 feet with FMJ is a serious accident waiting to happen.

We set pins in the middle of the table for 9mm shooters, but when told FMJ is not allowed almost all of these folks start looking for a 45 to borrow. Very few 9mm guys shoot anything but FMJ. Sad but true.

I'll say it again, FMJ anything on pins at 25 feet is dangerous. bob

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to have to give them a try. Federal? Or, did you load them yourself?

This month, I'm going to try Winchester White Box NATO 124gr. FMJ just because I know they're a bit warmer than other factory loads and very accurate in the pistol I'll be shooting.

9mm NATO is +p ammunition. And round nose to boot. I load my own 147 gr coated flat points. I have no problems with running them out of any of my CZs. I also run them in my STI.

When I shot pins before, I used a 10 mm 1911 and a Ruger Mark II. I think my best run was about 3 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom