• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    2A Fee Hike in New Jersey: Gov. Murphy Wants to Price Guns Out of Reach of the Poor

Under current law, applicants must pay $52.66 to be fingerprinted when applying for a New Jersey Firearm Purchaser ID card or a pistol permit. The permit application itself costs $5. (The handgun permit fee is $2.) Governor Phil Murphy wants to increase the application fee to sixty times the current amount (and have permits expire in four years).

A source close to the Murphy administration has confirmed with NJ2AS that he will be advocating to raise the cost of a firearm identification card to $300 and also raise the cost of a retired law enforcement conceal carry permit to $150. We expect this announcement to occur during his budget address Tuesday afternoon.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Iirc the CNMI Which is under the 9th circus found 1k to be excessive. Maybe like 3-4 years ago.

I guess we are just down to negotiation over the price.

I guess it also related to what they try to lable a tax vs fee.

IMO, any money .gov mandates you pay for their approval should be considered a tax if they don’t approve without payment. Regardless of who actually receives the money. Them, whoever employees the fingerprinter, trainer, etc.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    No real surprise here. You know this will give MD the precedent to raise the price of those HQLs.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I'm really hoping SCOTUS will step in and address these ridiculous permit fees one day.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'm really hoping SCOTUS will step in and address these ridiculous permit fees one day.

They had a chance to slap down the around 350 dollar fee that NYC charges and they sat on their hands.
    It seems all they need to do is make a permit department with employees getting lavish pay and benefits that'll justify the high fees and the courts will green light it.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Kwong v. Bloomberg challenged the NYC $340.00 fees. They lost at District Court, again in the 2nd Circuit, and were denied cert by SCOTUS. The 2nd CA opinion is binding in NJ, so going to be an uphill battle to fight the fees. I was incorrect on the 2CA issue; NJ is apparently in the 3CA, and will likely view the 2CA opinion with significant weight.

Last edited:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    They had a chance to slap down the around 350 dollar fee that NYC charges and they sat on their hands.
    It seems all they need to do is make a permit department with employees getting lavish pay and benefits that'll justify the high fees and the courts will green light it.

This is correct.

When the "fee" is commensurate with the actual cost of completing the task at hand, it's not seen as a "tax".

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Kwong v. Bloomberg challenged the NYC $340.00 fees. They lost at District Court, again in the 2nd Circuit, and were denied cert by SCOTUS. The 2nd CA opinion is binding in NJ, so going to be an uphill battle to fight the fees.

This isn't binding in NJ, they are in the 3rd Circuit. But you can bet they'll agree and cite Kwong as persuasive authority.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County

I always see people typing about SCOTUS. I have also seen unconstitutional law after law be put onto the citizens. Where is SCOTUS? They would spend the next decade getting rid of the unconstitutional laws already on the book and that is only if they actually looked at all of them, not to mention all the new unconstitutional laws that have already passed.

What get me is this:

How can you tell me that I'm responsible for my own safety and then require HQL, carry permit, etc...

Warren v. District of Columbia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

You can't have it both ways and LE does not have spidey senses to react to a crime before it happens so people should be allowed to protect them self. Gasp, even outside of their own home.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I think a lot of people don't understand that SCOTUS can't "step in." There has to be a perfect storm of the right people having already pressed the right matters through a parade of lower courts under just the right circumstances while the demographic on the court and the competition from OTHER matters before the court all align perfectly. The court can't originate any action, and have far more things preventing them from having a hand in what bothers us than they do enabling them to solidly do so.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It also has to be the right case to submit to SCOTUS for consideration. You take the wrong case...weak in supporting facts or with attorneys not up to the task and you lose big-time. Once you lose at SCOTUS it may take a long time before a better case comes to overturn precedent.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I think a lot of people don't understand that SCOTUS can't "step in." There has to be a perfect storm of the right people having already pressed the right matters through a parade of lower courts under just the right circumstances while the demographic on the court and the competition from OTHER matters before the court all align perfectly. The court can't originate any action, and have far more things preventing them from having a hand in what bothers us than they do enabling them to solidly do so.

It also has to be the right case to submit to SCOTUS for consideration. You take the wrong case...weak in supporting facts or with attorneys not up to the task and you lose big-time. Once you lose at SCOTUS it may take a long time before a better case comes to overturn precedent.

Wouldn't Warren v. District of Columbia be a prime reason for getting rid of HQL and adding constitutional carry? It seems like you can't have their decision and yet limit the ability to defend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren...ct_of_Columbia

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    The approach I would use if this was going to court, would be what is the actual cost for the permit. Then a comparison needs to be made of the current vs the increase. Governments are not in the business to make a profit, they are there to govern with the people's consent. It the cost is dramatically high then there is no other reason for the increase than to "price" this right out of existence.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    You can't have it both ways and LE does not have spidey senses to react to a crime before it happens so people should be allowed to protect them self.

if everyone did what they SHOULD, the world WOULD be a much better place. alas, that ain't what's happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom