• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 4, 2017
    Don't know if this is the "proper" forum for this but here ya go. I'm currently in a profession that will (hopefully) make it easier for me to obtain a conceal permit. I built an 80% kit a while ago and want to get my conceal. I know that having an 80% is legal as long as it is for "personal use". My question is whether or not that "personal use" extends to what I use as my everyday carry. I'm thinking that since it is still personal use by myself that it would be okay. But, as you all know, living in the People's Republic of MD you have to ask these kinds of questions. Don't want to register it if I'm not legally obligated to do so. Appreciate any answers or a point me in the right direction.

Thanks Y'all,

~Sledgehammer

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Don't know if this is the "proper" forum for this but here ya go. I'm currently in a profession that will (hopefully) make it easier for me to obtain a conceal permit. I built an 80% kit a while ago and want to get my conceal. I know that having an 80% is legal as long as it is for "personal use". My question is whether or not that "personal use" extends to what I use as my everyday carry. I'm thinking that since it is still personal use by myself that it would be okay. But, as you all know, living in the People's Republic of MD you have to ask these kinds of questions. Don't want to register it if I'm not legally obligated to do so. Appreciate any answers or a point me in the right direction.

Thanks Y'all,

~Sledgehammer
    Yes. Until MD outlaws them.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Unless a permit is for a specific gun, then it allows you to carry a legal gun. According to BATF, a Polymer 80 Build is a legal gun at a specific point in the build.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    A Wear and Carry permit has no restrictions on the handgun to be carried. I routinely carry an 80%.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    But why would you want to?

It may be legal, but I can think of disadvantages to carrying any unregistered gun.

This is one situation where there could be an advantage to you carry gun being registered.

Why not keep your 80% on the down low, and carry a nice registered Glock? If you ever have to use it, it's going to be held for evidence anyway.

Oct 4, 2017

It may be legal, but I can think of disadvantages to carrying any unregistered gun.

This is one situation where there could be an advantage to you carry gun being registered.

Why not keep your 80% on the down low, and carry a nice registered Glock? If you ever have to use it, it's going to be held for evidence anyway.

What do you see as disadvantages? So I should not carry an unregistered handgun because I don't want the government to know I have a handgun....then go and get a registered one anyways? Seems to defeat the purpose of having the 80% in the first place. Maybe I misunderstand?

Mr H

Banana'd
    What do you see as disadvantages? So I should not carry an unregistered handgun because I don't want the government to know I have a handgun....then go and get a registered one anyways? Seems to defeat the purpose of having the 80% in the first place. Maybe I misunderstand?

For one (off the top of my head), if for some reason it does get held in evidence, there is no legal way to prove an unserialized hunk of metal is actually yours.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    For one (off the top of my head), if for some reason it does get held in evidence, there is no legal way to prove an unserialized hunk of metal is actually yours.

Doesn't mean the carrier can't have some unique markings on it. If I were to carry one I'd likely etch something in a hidden area that would help show it to be mine

Otherwise, if its a legal, home built gun requiring no serial number, why is there a burden to prove anything other than perhaps the carrier built it and is legally allowed to have a gun. I guess being in Maryland is always a concern, but I'd rather lose a P80 in the legal system than any other gun.

Oct 4, 2017
    Doesn't mean the carrier can't have some unique markings on it. If I were to carry one I'd likely etch something in a hidden area that would help show it to be mine

Otherwise, if its a legal, home built gun requiring no serial number, why is there a burden to prove anything other than perhaps the carrier built it and is legally allowed to have a gun. I guess being in Maryland is always a concern, but I'd rather lose a P80 in the legal system than any other gun.

Pretty much what I was thinking

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    One downside to using a 80% as your EDC is the possibility of some overzealous state prosecutor raging about "Ghost Guns" and how you must be some sort of dangerous militant terrorist should the need to use it ever arise. If you have a carry permit, the gummint already knows you have guns, so I don't see a reason not to use a "store bought" for daily defensive carry.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It's probably a reflection of my own gunsmithing skills, but my biggest concern would be trusting my life and my wife's life to a hobby project. I suppose that if I've shot the hell out of a home-brew and it's proven to be completely reliable, what's not to like. But when thousandths of inches matter, I'm truly OK with a factory carry piece, all other prosecutarial hysteria issues aside (though I wouldn't underestimate those either, at least in terms of noise created during a prosecution or civil suit over your need to defend yourself).

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Confidence in one's carry firearm is a big deal. Same goes for the ammo you carry with it. As long as you train with that firearm and same ammo, you will build confidence in it. You'll know if it is reliable enough to depend on. Until then, use what you trust. If it's your first one, get out as often as you can. Take note of malfunctions. If your firearm has magazines, number them and keep track of which ones were in use during the malfunction. Believe it or not, a lot of semi-auto malfunctions are magazine-related. I like to use a silver Sharpie to number mine.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD

I REALLY wish people would stop saying that. It is illegal to have a non voluntary gun registration in the United States. By continually talking about gun registries as if they are already a thing is a very bad idea. It lessens the flags thrown for the upcoming time when they really do begin to demand a gun registry.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County

Same could be said for my EDC knife, but I don't have a burning desire to register that with anyone, either.

Oct 4, 2017
    I would never trust my life to an 80% build.

Why not tho? Any particular reasons? Don't trust your skills in smithing/building? In my thinking, you're already using factory parts that have been tested already. (Maybe not the polymer frames) Most kits give pretty precise and clear instruction on the build itself. So it probably comes down to user error, but even then you can test it out to satisfaction on your own.
    Do your thing, just curious if you could expand on that statement

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom