• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Today I was sitting at a new spot at the top of a bluff*in a*heavy wooded area. The bluff is very steep. I sat at a spot where I thought I could get a good shot if a deer came up an old roadway that probably*hadn't been used in decades.
    *After sundown I started hearing noises to my left that I think were antlers crashing against each other then I hear timber falling like they were knocking trees down as they fought. I could not make put any forms and the light faded.
    In your opinion- was this 2 bucks fighting or was it just one buck?
    I'm going back tomorrow night and sitting where I can see what was happening at that spot.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If no wind or weather could be to blame, likely two. A single one making rubs probably wouldn’t sound like that. A little late in the season for sparing, but not unheard of fars I know.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Chupacabra and Henway MMA death match.

Creepy things happen in the woods when it's dark out. The other evening I was field dressing a deer. As I was working, I kept hearing rustling in the leaves ahead of me. It freaked me out so I stopped. The noise stopped too. Went back to the field dressing. And again the rustling started. Flashlight time. Nothing to be seen. Nothing to be heard. Went back to work. More rustling. This time I realized what it was. My full beard was brushing against the nylon lining of the upturned collar on my hunting jacket.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Chupacabra and Henway MMA death match.

Creepy things happen in the woods when it's dark out. The other evening I was field dressing a deer. As I was working, I kept hearing rustling in the leaves ahead of me. It freaked me out so I stopped. The noise stopped too. Went back to the field dressing. And again the rustling started. Flashlight time. Nothing to be seen. Nothing to be heard. Went back to work. More rustling. This time I realized what it was. My full beard was brushing against the nylon lining of the upturned collar on my hunting jacket.

Nothing worse than the noisy clothing somethings over there syndrome,
    Last night I went into the shop to check a few things in a chemical bath while wearing rubber knee boots, it was stone quiet and when I got distracted thinking about other problem solving on the bench is when I heard it,
    the boots were making a sound on the wet concrete that had me looking under the bench and tool boxes for some sort of crypto zombie critter or something that was looking for payback.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lol. Phantom clothing noises are a problem of mine too.

I didn’t consider the turkey issue. I’ve had phantom deer coming my way, but strolling in and running from predators that turned out to just be turkeys walking or crashing through the woods. Never heard them roosting before.

Squirrels can make a lot of noise when playing grab tail, but I’d still think OP would be able to clearly distinguish that from what he was describing.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    You spying on my parents again. They used to know how to handle peeping toms in the country!

:lol2:

Reminds me of a visit to a friends parents house. The husband was about 400lbs and the wife(my friends mom) was about 110lbs, smoked for most of her life and looked much like a live version of the crypt keeper. Anyhow when we went to visit his parents house my friends mom asked her son(my friend) to put up some curtains in the bathroom, because she was afraid of peeping tom's. My friend with out skipping a beat says to his mom "they'll only peep in there once!". I about fell over laughing but had to hold the laugh til his mom left the room because she didnt understand.:lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Today I was sitting at a new spot at the top of a bluff*in a*heavy wooded area. The bluff is very steep. I sat at a spot where I thought I could get a good shot if a deer came up an old roadway that probably*hadn't been used in decades.
    *After sundown I started hearing noises to my left that I think were antlers crashing against each other then I hear timber falling like they were knocking trees down as they fought. I could not make put any forms and the light faded.
    In your opinion- was this 2 bucks fighting or was it just one buck?
    I'm going back tomorrow night and sitting where I can see what was happening at that spot.

OK, We've all had our fun with Striper69.

Striper, by your description, sounds to me you heard two bucks fighting. Not always that common this time of year(they go back to sparring more), but if two bucks happen upon a hot doe, fists will fly. :thumbsup:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Well, the reason I hunted that spot was because I saw a huge doe in between some trees getting ready to cross a road at dusk. Maybe she was in estrus.

I'll hunt the spot next week. Hopefully the bucks are residents in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom