• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good ammo for 5.56 is very critical . .308win ammo for deer , not so much . Pretty much any soft point 150gr ( or 165, or 180 ) , will be plenty good for Bambi .

Elk loads for .308 is important for using really good bullet .

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    308 AR is a superb white tail whacking machine. Just wish there was more rifle land in communist occupied md. Going to make an attempt to get a reservation at Hanover Watershed this coming week to let my AR10 rig score some meat.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    308 AR is a superb white tail whacking machine. Just wish there was more rifle land in communist occupied md. Going to make an attempt to get a reservation at Hanover Watershed this coming week to let my AR10 rig score some meat.

So long as the weather holds I will be out in GRS Friday and Saturday with my .308 Sako and my 20” .223 AR-15. Going to try my hand with the Sako first. Late season Eastern shore with the Sako again and my 18” 6.5 Grendel AR-15

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    Some more “nobody uses those to hunt with” in 300 blackout. Weekend Texas trip.

Attachments

• FB6E408D-9586-4518-914B-D4220130ABFE.jpg
      FB6E408D-9586-4518-914B-D4220130ABFE.jpg
      237 KB · Views: 146

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I can neither confirm nor deny my status in any witness protection programs...but my dog was involved in waste management in New Jersey and knows where Jimmy Hoffa is buried!

To others hunting with high power but smallerish caliber rounds...are you getting a good blood trail with them? The deer I shot with the 7.62x39 went down on the spot. The entry hole was extremely small--I almost couldn't find it. And I couldn't find the exit hole (or the bullet). So I was thinking it must have broken up inside. If you can use your imagination on the hit location, I hit it high shoulder blade plus both lungs and what I think was the aorta artery coming off the heart. That doesn't usually make a deer drop in its tracks though, so I was wondering if the high speed bullet shocked the deer so hard that it paralyzed it. I didn't exactly do an autopsy on top of a windy mountain but I did look a little bit and couldn't find any fragments. Later back in our camp, I looked pretty carefully over the whole deer after it had hung and cooled for a day and couldn't find an exit wound. So I'm pretty sure the bullet must have broken up inside of it.

Just wondering because I do have other options for rifles in larger calibers that would probably leave a better trail. I like that there was virtually zero meat damaged, but I don't like that there wouldn't have been a blood trail if it had run off. Not that I'm complaining--nothing beats an instant kill. But it did cross my mind that if the deer hadn't dropped on the spot, I would have possibly had some trouble finding it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If it gives you more piece of mind , use american mfg hunting type ammo.

The stereotypical comparison is 7.62x39 with proper bullet being comparable to .30-30 .

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If it gives you more piece of mind , use american mfg hunting type ammo.

The stereotypical comparison is 7.62x39 with proper bullet being comparable to .30-30 .

Yeah, I actually was using federal fusion ammo that is marketed for white tail hunting. It could have just been an unusual hit that resulted in no blood.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    "Nobody ever hunts with an AK"

GW National Forest, Virginia on Saturday. This was my first ever deer with a rifle (the previous were all bow or shotgun). The deer dropped where it stood and surprisingly there was almost no meat damage. I will definitely be using this rifle from now on for my VA hunts. I used federal fusion soft point 7.62x39 ammo that is marketed for deer hunting.

Nice! I have some Federal Fusion 7.62x39 for my CZ 527 and would like to do some rifle hunting. Slug gun is what I use.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Here's my wildcat .358 Yeti that I used for the first time this year. Hit a modest sized doe at the base of the neck and it flipped her over like she was smacked with a sledgehammer.

25531839_10215484810662250_127806642319455254_o.jpg

I call it 'Negan'

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom