• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I am looking for sources here. I have always worn and like the old school camo styles for hunting with the only exception of wearing shadow grass for waterfowl in corn and needing it for rain wear. I hate all this new camo.

I mainly deer/other hunt in woodland camo BDU pants. I love the six pockets and room for layering and have not bought other comparable six pocket pants from Cabelas or anyone else that are as good. I had a "Green Camo" blocky shirt that was my laying over shirt or warmer weather shirt for 20 some years but its giving up the ghost.

It used to be referred to as Green Camo or Brown Camo and Drake Old School similar stuff. I like the woodland camo too, but I wish it had a Grey or brown version also. I like the BDU shirts but want tuckable shirts.

Anyone know of any good sources for camo like this with out being overcharged like the surplus stores on line do? I love the WWII German camo, but :shocked3: darn its salty.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I think your best bet would be ebay. I used to collect camo from all eras and countries. I got a lot of it on eBay. I wish Sunny Surplus was still around. I got a mess of Swiss, British, and German camo from them back in the day. Ranger Surplus in Frederick and H&H Surplus in Baltimore might be good place to check also.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    "Hey, Macklemore, can we go thrift shopping?"
    What what, what, what?

In other words, go to thrift shops. I've found a LOT of woodland camo stuff in them.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I am a big fan of the original Mossy Oak Treestand. I still have some from many years ago bit most is badly worn and faded.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0338.JPG Yard sales and thrift shops around my way. I see a lot of camo and hunting items, decoys cleaning kits sometimes guns and parts. Some camo items are unused, mostly waterfowl related though. I bought a real nice old school Woolrich coat and pants set not long ago.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I STILL wear woodland camo.

I've used Brigade Quartermasters since they were a tiny catalog store in the 90's.
    They often have old style BDU's: http://www.brigadeqm.com

Another brand name is Tru Spec which still makes woodland camo which as I said is what I wear.
    Search for Tru-Spec Men's BDU Jacket WOODLAND CAMO at Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Spec-Mens-Jacket-WOODLAND-CAMO/dp/B01NC12JA8

I also bought a bunch of Tru Spec woodland camo from Bass Pro a couple of years ago.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Sportsman's Guide has surplus old school camo. I've bought a lot of ammo and random camping things from them but never clothes so I can't vouch for quality but I do know they have it.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
      IMG_0537.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 366
    • IMG_0538.jpg
      IMG_0538.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 366

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What does the OP consider " Old School " ? Mil camo collecting is a hobby in itself . But if the implied criteria is also saw widespread civillian use for hunting, etc , the list gets very narrow .

The yutes might think Woodland BDU is old school , but actually it signalled the birth of the new wave .

Back when camo was simply camo , and most people didn't realize there were different camo's , that meant ERDL .

Developed by US Army circa 1948 , didn't have widespread Mil issue until mid 1960s .Just about all commercial camo for hunting , and general market , was ERDL , or close knockoff . Usually in green based, occasionally in same pattern, with brown-ish .

And back in the day, most hunters didn't obsess over camo . Bowhunters were into camo, and lesser extent insidev waterfowl blinds, with. G

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Have you guys noticed some stores like Walmart and old navy selling "camo" street clothes. It seems to be mostly the old school type. Probably makes terrible hunting clothes but I've thought about some of it for light layers. It seems funny to see a kid wearing camo and you can tell he's never been off the pavement his entire life.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That red coat is in camo isnt it? They made them in green too but not as popular since blaze restrictions came out. When I think old school Im not thinking a whole lot of camo unless you had a m65 field jacket. We wore canvas duck shooting geese and waterfowl, or anything we could get to stay warm and dry for that matter.
    Its amazing whats available now, some of it you just have to watch how close you get to a fire barrel.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    BDU.com now directs to tacticalgear.com/bdus
    they have a bunch of older and odd military camo patterns

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Midway USA has a lot of surplus clothing from foreign armies. But you really have to watch the sizing.

I bought a large surplus camo coat made for some European army. And it was sized like an American medium with really short sleeves.

I cut all the buttons off of it and threw it in the garbage. Will no longer attempt buying surplus clothing on-line.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Having fallen asleep mid post above)

Back in the day , only turkey hunters obsessed over camo . Otherwise mainly what were add subsequently called earth tones . Tan as mentioned above. Green , brown, green plaid. If you were trying for visability in pre- blaze orange days , red & black plaid.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    View attachment 218990 I bought a real nice old school Woolrich coat and pants set not long ago.

Man that picture brought back a memory.

When my dad passed I was given all his hunting clothes including a Woolrich outfit like that along with goose down coveralls and parka. Well my bride had a habit of storing season wear in black garbage bags and of course I tossed it all out with the trash not thinking to look first. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom