• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Sun is reporting that the committee advanced this bill 10-5:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-handgun-board-vote-20190318-story.html

The Maryland Senate is advancing a bill that would abolish the state’s Handgun Permit Review Board, which some critics say is too permissive in overturning denials of permits to carry handguns.

A key committee on Monday night approved the bill, the first step before the measure can become law.

The Executive Nominations Committee voted 10-5 to approve the bill. The Judicial Proceedings Committee also must approve the bill before it goes to the full Senate for consideration.

not up on MGA website yet.

Sun is not reporting whether it was approved with any amendments.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Sun is reporting that the committee advanced this bill 10-5:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-handgun-board-vote-20190318-story.html

not up on MGA website yet.

Sun is not reporting whether it was approved with any amendments.

They waited until the last possible moment. I wonder if that was reluctance on the committee members part. Either way, they have made this bill a priority and probably put the screws to them.

This is a bill I could see getting vetoed.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    They waited until the last possible moment. I wonder if that was reluctance on the committee members part. Either way, they have made this bill a priority and probably put the screws to them.

Mmmmm, did they make crossover? It has to go to another committee before getting to the floor (per the Sun anyway), so I dont think so.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

Ha!

Made me giggle a little first thing in the morning!

Lawn Chair Larry isn't going to do shit, never was,.....never will.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Ha!

Made me giggle a little first thing in the morning!

Lawn Chair Larry isn't going to do shit, never was,.....never will.

You never know. As soon as he talked about running against President Trump in 2020 I figured he was suffering from early onset dementia. Who knows what he is going to sign/veto?

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Mmmmm, did they make crossover? It has to go to another committee before getting to the floor (per the Sun anyway), so I dont think so.

No, both committees must vote on it and report their votes to the Senate. The only thing we have heard is that the bill was voted favorable in the Executive Nominations Committee, but has not been voted on in Judicial Proceedings. The ExecNoms report did not make it to the floor before they adjourned last night (I listened specifically for the report and the legislative tracker on the MGA site does not show it reported).

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    The ExecNoms report did not make it to the floor before they adjourned last night (I listened specifically for the report and the legislative tracker on the MGA site does not show it reported).

Does this mean it would need to go to Rules before being referred onwards in the opposite chamber (since it's now late/after crossfile day)?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    If this bill is amended, it needs to be amended so that MSP allows self defense.

In Baltimore, it has been reported that from 2014 to 2017, dispatch records show the number of suspected narcotics offenses police reported themselves dropped 30 percent. The number of people they reported seeing with outstanding warrants dropped by half. The number of field interviews dropped 70 percent. This type of de-policing has emboldened criminals and crime now is on the rise. In September 2018, 37 people were killed in the city, making that the deadliest month in more than a year. Baltimore has had five police commissioners in four years. In this podcast segment, Jim and Doug discuss how things went from bad to worse in Charm City following the death of Freddie Gray and the subsequent anti-police protests.

baltimore-a-microcosm-of-de-policing-in-america

There should be little doubt that you are your own first, second, and third responder in Baltimore.

Otherwise, MD legislature is simply playing with themselves here with this bill. Supreme Court took NYSRP vs NYC on carrying and transporting firearms.

I honestly don't have a problem with not arresting people who are carrying firearms. Constitutional Carry for everyone, not just the criminals.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If this bill is amended, it needs to be amended so that MSP allows self defense.

There should be little doubt that you are your own first, second, and third responder in Baltimore.

Otherwise, MD legislature is simply playing with themselves here with this bill. Supreme Court took NYSRP vs NYC on carrying and transporting firearms.

I honestly don't have a problem with not arresting people who are carrying firearms. Constitutional Carry for everyone, not just the criminals.

Very well put, IMO. The bolded has the makings of a good slogan.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Guess I shouldn't ask Stevi again if she knows when my hearing is coming up......

Last edited:

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    The amendments are posted as well, making it an emergency bill that takes effect immediately.
    :sad20:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/amds/bil_0000/sb1000_24322302.pdf

“SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act is an emergency
    measure, is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public health or safety, has
    been passed by a yea and nay vote supported by three-fifths of all the members elected
    to each of the two Houses of the General Assembly, and shall take effect from the date
    it is enacted.”.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Perhaps this will make a great basis for a lawsuit that will be argued in front of a hostile 4th circuit now filled with Trump appointees.

I am always very reluctant to interrupt my enemies when they are making a huge mistake in my favor.

HPRB is going to die, not the way they think.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Really? An emergency because of public safety?

How many permit holders have hurt someone? What a joke. Sadly, we're the punchline.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Perhaps this will make a great basis for a lawsuit that will be argued in front of a hostile 4th circuit now filled with Trump appointees.

I am always very reluctant to interrupt my enemies when they are making a huge mistake in my favor.

HPRB is going to die, not the way they think.

It's still dominated by the opposition, not Trump appointees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom