Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Notices

Old March 20th, 2017, 06:54 PM #31

I'm going to agree with the "git er a .22" crowd. If your wife has found a gun that SHE likes to shoot then buy it for her. She will think of it as HERS and take it shooting way more often then a gun her husband told her she should get. Be very happy she wants to shoot something and as time goes on she may find something in a larger caliber that she enjoys also. If the noise of the larger calibers is a problem then maybe more hearing protection? Ear plugs underneath of ear muffs is a possibility to cut down on noise.
newmuzzleloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 06:54 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar92 View Post

If you practice with it and shoot it well, caliber makes about as much difference as what socks you're wearing.
Get her some good training, a bunch of ammo and send her on her way.

Absolutely true statement!

I've seen two shootings that took place with a .22. In both cases the people shot went down, and hostilities ceased immediately. In one case, the knife wielding attacker hit in the stomach, died on scene curled up in a tight fetal position while screaming that his guts were on fire, and went unconscious in a short while and was dead when the EMT's got there. In the other case, of the two attackers, the one hit high in the right shoulder was staggering off down the street trying to escape and was caught by the police when they came, the other hit in the stomach doubled over and went down, and was vommiting up blood and was semi conscious when the EMT's got there and needed 5 hours of emergency surgery to pull though.

A .38 or 9mm would not have worked any better. In both cases the attack stopped immediately. Get your wife whatever .22 she likes.
cb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:05 PM #33
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by judah7 View Post
my wife chose the 22...
should I just over ride what she's comfortable with and get her a 9mm or just buy the fricking 22LR pistol?
How long have you been married?
There's only one answer and it rhymes with twenty shoe.
Enjoy shooting with your wife. If she moves up, she moves up.
If not, she knows how to shoot a .22 and will be able to defend herself just fine with it.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:08 PM #34
Banned

Banned

Lol I wasn't trying to force no large calibers upon her, just wanted her to have a sufficient amount of power in the 9mm. If she doesn't like the 380 then 22 it is unfortunately.
judah7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:13 PM #35
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

Let her get the SR22 for starters. It's a great trainer, because unlike the target .22's, it has all the same controls as a full caliber double action semiautomatic. When she's ready to move up, she'll already have the fundamentals.

In the meantime, hitting an attacker with a .22 that she's practiced with should be more effective than missing them with a 9mm that she's afraid to train with.

And...if you've only been using indoor ranges, get her shooting outside ASAP. That 9 outside may feel about as offensive as a 22 inside.

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:20 PM #36
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3 View Post
Let her get the SR22 for starters. It's a great trainer, because unlike the target .22's, it has all the same controls as a full caliber double action semiautomatic. When she's ready to move up, she'll already have the fundamentals.

In the meantime, hitting an attacker with a .22 that she's practiced with should be more effective than missing them with a 9mm that she's afraid to train with.

And...if you've only been using indoor ranges, get her shooting outside ASAP. That 9 outside may feel about as offensive as a 22 inside.
I really haven't heard of any outdoor ranges that's near me unfortunately. I would love to be able to shoot outside on the regular, and I'm almost sure the noise from shooting indoors is contributing to her jumping.
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:24 PM #37
Beware of Dog

Beware of Dog

Let her start with a 22.. nothing wrong with that, the chance that she will actually have to ever shoot someone are slim to none and she will enjoy shooting more. Isn't that the ultimate goal?

A couple of well placed 22 rounds will slow down an attacker significantly. I sometimes carry a 9 shot 22 revolver, wouldn't hesitate to empty it on a threat and I'm sure it would incapacitate them, eventually.

Once she starts to get cocky, let her shoot your 9 for a while and see if she can get used to it.

Find a range close by that is outdoors. I hate shooting indoors and I have shot guns for longer than I care to say... lol
Archery and Firearm Fanatic
Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:31 PM #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by judah7 View Post
Just another reason for me to be iffy on the 22, I'll have to look around and see if there are some reliable 22 semi automatics since the revolver isn't a option in this case.
My wife has been shooting a Ruger SR-22 for several years. All kinds of ammo and never a problem. Not the easiest to clean though.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:33 PM #39
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
My wife has been shooting a Ruger SR-22 for several years. All kinds of ammo and never a problem. Not the easiest to clean though.
Is it her go to pistol in case of a self defense issue?
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:37 PM #40
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Let her start with a 22.. nothing wrong with that, the chance that she will actually have to ever shoot someone are slim to none and she will enjoy shooting more. Isn't that the ultimate goal?

A couple of well placed 22 rounds will slow down an attacker significantly. I sometimes carry a 9 shot 22 revolver, wouldn't hesitate to empty it on a threat and I'm sure it would incapacitate them, eventually.

Once she starts to get cocky, let her shoot your 9 for a while and see if she can get used to it.

Find a range close by that is outdoors. I hate shooting indoors and I have shot guns for longer than I care to say... lol
Yeah that's almost the goal. She came to me with interest in learning guns and to shoot, so I know she enjoys it. She just so happen to pick the unexpected 22 of all calibers and it through me off.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns