New AR lower to pistol and then to SBR ok?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tpe187

Mar 8, 2019
    Hello all,

I finally moved here a couple of weeks ago (Military). Working at APG and live in Harford County. I have a trust and several NFA items (SBRs/Suppressers). My question for the expereinced members of the group is can I buy a lower that has never been assembled into a rifle, to create a pistol and then eventually SBR it and not run afoul of the post OCT13 rule? What I would like to do is purchase a Knights Armament SR15 E3 IWS lower and create a pistol with the intent of eventually filing a form 1 on it. If that is not possible, I will reallocate one of my pre 13 lowers for the purpose. Thanks for the help.

tpe187

Mar 8, 2019
    So basically if you are creating an SBR from a lower that has never been made into a rifle, you are good to go or do you need something that shows it was made into a pistol at some point, such as registering pistols with the state?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The only reason to make it into a pistol first is so you have the option of using that lower for a pistol later on, it gives you flexibility. There are some MD SBR rules like OAL must be >29"

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So basically if you are creating an SBR from a lower that has never been made into a rifle, you are good to go or do you need something that shows it was made into a pistol at some point, such as registering pistols with the state?

Impossible to prove it started out as a pistol. Impossible for the state to prove it didn't, so don't worry about that. As long as the lower is transferred to you as "Other" and not "Rifle"(for simplicity's sake), you may legally build that lower into a pistol. You can later build that pistol into a rifle or SBR. You will still be able to revert that build back to a pistol as many times as you wish. You DO NOT have to "register" your pistol build with the state. Just build it and shoot it.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    But from what I have read here, if the eventual end is to have it as an SBR, you build as a pistol so you can use it while the stamp is being processed for the SBR "mode" Use a pistol brace and then when the stamp comes back, put the stock on it to make an SBR.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    HQL

Impossible to prove it started out as a pistol. Impossible for the state to prove it didn't, so don't worry about that. As long as the lower is transferred to you as "Other" and not "Rifle"(for simplicity's sake), you may legally build that lower into a pistol. You can later build that pistol into a rifle or SBR. You will still be able to revert that build back to a pistol as many times as you wish. You DO NOT have to "register" your pistol build with the state. Just build it and shoot it.

if you build it no HQL If you purchase a complete pistol, you need HQL....

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

No, a pistol has nothing to do with an SBR. Just file a FORM 1 to make an SBR with that lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To clarify a little more, you can SBR an existing rifle. Hence the name, Short Barreled Rifle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Indeed . an SBR can be created from a Rifle .

The advantage to Virgin Lower > Pistol > > SBR is so that while waiting for the Stamp , you may accumulate all the components , w/o any possibility of being in constructive possession of unregistered SBR . Or remove the stock, and travel Interstate with it as a Pistol w/o needing a Form 20 .

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Most people will transfer a new lower as an "other" and build it as a pistol while you wait for your stamp. You can enjoy it while you wait, and have more flexibility when it does become an SBR. There are other legal pathways, but if it's a new lower, building it as a pistol first has few down sides.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Indeed . an SBR can be created from a Rifle .

The advantage to Virgin Lower > Pistol > > SBR is so that while waiting for the Stamp , you may accumulate all the components , w/o any possibility of being in constructive possession of unregistered SBR . Or remove the stock, and travel Interstate with it as a Pistol w/o needing a Form 20 .

This.

Or it is for other states without OAL crap and you buy something like a Vz61 and need/want to use it as a pistol as you are waiting for your tax stamp so you can buy the folding stock.

If you want to go down the constructive possession rabbit hole, if ALL you have is that lower and you’ve got a 10.5” upper, a brace on the lower and a regular buffer tube and stock, that is constructive possession. You don’t own the parts to make a legal rifle and you don’t have a tax stamp yet. An unlikely situation that you wouldn’t already own a rifle AR-15 if you are building an SBR...but it is in theory possible.

IMHO, I’ve got other AR-15s, I could wait till my tax stamp comes back and I’ve got legal pistol lowers. Not worrying about constructive possession crap. I don’t see a circumstance where I’d want to confer my SBR to a pistol to travel interstate. Just grab one of my other AR-15s.

That said, converting to a pistol at least seem useful. Little reason not to make it in to a pistol, take a picture with a time stamp in case you ever want to throw the finger to ATF or police and then convert to an SBR once your tax stamp is in and never look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom