• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Have had one for years. You can shoot tennis balls at 25 yards all day long with it. Reliable, accurate, simple, only down side is the 10 round factory mag (or that new hideous long one they came out with). But it was designed to comply with the Clinton Ban so that's why. You can always get the ATI Beretta-type stock to remove some of the fugly factor.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I had the 40cal and it was a hoot to shoot. It would shoot junk ammo and always go BANG!! never had any trouble at all! not one round fail to fire, not one round failed to load. Its easy t work on, easy to clean and will shoot the cheapest junk ammo you can find that will end up with a big BANG!.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have a 995TS and it shoots a nice group @50 with the factory open sights. Eats every thing I have fed it including cheap Hungarian ammo with zero malfunctions. Not crazy about the seams in the stock. When I have a beard, sometime the whiskers get yanked from being hung up in the stock seam.:D I also have a Marlin Camp 45 that shoots about the same groups as the 995 and a new Ruger PC Carbine (have not had a chance to ring it out yet). Love the pistol caliber carbines as they are a hoot to shoot. As ugly as they are you can't go wrong with the Hi-Point being the are inexpensive, accurate and extremely reliable!:thumbsup:

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I have a CX4, Sub 2k, and a 995 TS.
    My quick take is that the Beretta is the nicest of the 3. It is also the most expensive. The Beretta cost me as much as the other two combined.

With me behind the trigger there isn't a measurable difference in accuracy off the bench, standing, or sitting out to 50 yards from any of them.

Overall, and this is just my personal opinion, feel free to disagree, I would take the Sub 2k over the 995, but not by a lot.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Great for beginners.

That is the statement. Are they really an entry level rifle that works?
    Anyone have personal experience with Hi-Point rifles?
    Anything that should be known about Hi-Point rifles or the company?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

My first gun was a Hi-Point 4595 carbine in .45 ACP. I bought it from my stepdad when he sold his guns, and it still maintains a seat of honor in my safe today. Best thing I can say about Hi-Point? They run. It's a blow-back operated carbine, and you can do just about anything to one, and she'll still go boom at the end of the day. For the .45 ACP cartridge, in particular, the 17.5" barrel gives it a little more muzzle velocity and a lot more accuracy. I always tend to aim high, which is why I prefer .45 ACP, but with the 4595 I didn't need to. But if you're not a .45 guy like me, that's fine, Hi-Point makes them in .380 ACP, 9mm, .40SW, .45 ACP, and 10mm. By far, the 9mm model is the most prevalent, and has the most aftermarket options.

I've probably put 2000 rounds through mine at this point; never had a malfunction or a jam. The stock is comfortable and compresses when firing to lessen felt recoil; you can also purchase a mag carrier that locks into your stock and holds two magazines. Stripping her for a thorough cleaning is fairly simple, but even with just a brief cleaning, she runs great. The aftermarket is reasonable; she comes with two picatinny rails on the bottom and one on top already, but you can buy the side rail kit and compensator from Hi-Point for under $50, and then mount your choice of accessories. I've got mine equipped with a Magpul AFG, Streamlight rifle light, and quick disconnect for my sling. Oh, and the Bushnell TRS-25 naturally cowitnesses with the iron sights, which are made up of a front post and rear aperture sight--think of a 91/30's front sight with a M1's rear sight; it works great.

The only major gripe I have is magazine capacity. The magazine for the 4595 only holds 9, but I hear the 995 holds 10, plus has a Hi-Point certified aftermarket 15-round hi-cap option. But, the mags are well designed and easy to change in a hurry. She also has a last round hold-open, which is always nice. Some folks complain about the charging handle being on the left side, but I actually prefer it--the handle consists of a bolt that screws into the BCG (this can loosen with use, so always check it, and maybe consider some locktite if it becomes a problem) and a round handle that sinks into a circular slot to lock it in place. Swap your mag, pull the handle out and back, and let her go. Very easy to reload and get back on target.

As for the company itself, they're a good, honest, American Manufacturer. Hi-Points have such a good reputation for reliability, the company will take care of any problems you encounter, no questions asked. The only thing they're particular about: Do NOT use Promags in your carbine. They can damage the feed ramp, and Hi-Point takes no responsibility for it. Other than that, they're a great, cheap, reliable option for folks who maybe can't afford anything over $300. And their pistols are even cheaper.

Hope this helps!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My first gun was a Hi-Point 4595 carbine in .45 ACP. I bought it from my stepdad when he sold his guns, and it still maintains a seat of honor in my safe today. Best thing I can say about Hi-Point? They run. It's a blow-back operated carbine, and you can do just about anything to one, and she'll still go boom at the end of the day. For the .45 ACP cartridge, in particular, the 17.5" barrel gives it a little more muzzle velocity and a lot more accuracy. I always tend to aim high, which is why I prefer .45 ACP, but with the 4595 I didn't need to. But if you're not a .45 guy like me, that's fine, Hi-Point makes them in .380 ACP, 9mm, .40SW, .45 ACP, and 10mm. By far, the 9mm model is the most prevalent, and has the most aftermarket options.

I've probably put 2000 rounds through mine at this point; never had a malfunction or a jam. The stock is comfortable and compresses when firing to lessen felt recoil; you can also purchase a mag carrier that locks into your stock and holds two magazines. Stripping her for a thorough cleaning is fairly simple, but even with just a brief cleaning, she runs great. The aftermarket is reasonable; she comes with two picatinny rails on the bottom and one on top already, but you can buy the side rail kit and compensator from Hi-Point for under $50, and then mount your choice of accessories. I've got mine equipped with a Magpul AFG, Streamlight rifle light, and quick disconnect for my sling. Oh, and the Bushnell TRS-25 naturally cowitnesses with the iron sights, which are made up of a front post and rear aperture sight--think of a 91/30's front sight with a M1's rear sight; it works great.

The only major gripe I have is magazine capacity. The magazine for the 4595 only holds 9, but I hear the 995 holds 10, plus has a Hi-Point certified aftermarket 15-round hi-cap option. But, the mags are well designed and easy to change in a hurry. She also has a last round hold-open, which is always nice. Some folks complain about the charging handle being on the left side, but I actually prefer it--the handle consists of a bolt that screws into the BCG (this can loosen with use, so always check it, and maybe consider some locktite if it becomes a problem) and a round handle that sinks into a circular slot to lock it in place. Swap your mag, pull the handle out and back, and let her go. Very easy to reload and get back on target.

As for the company itself, they're a good, honest, American Manufacturer. Hi-Points have such a good reputation for reliability, the company will take care of any problems you encounter, no questions asked. The only thing they're particular about: Do NOT use Promags in your carbine. They can damage the feed ramp, and Hi-Point takes no responsibility for it. Other than that, they're a great, cheap, reliable option for folks who maybe can't afford anything over $300. And their pistols are even cheaper.

Hope this helps!

A 20 round 45acp mag is getting ready to hit the market. Its in the final stages of testing

lowjax

Jan 18, 2016
    Glen Burnie
    I have both the 9 and 45 TS models.
    I agree with the other comments (Price, Warranty etc..)
    For price - it is considered an entry model. You can spend much more and not necessarily attain the reliability, function and accuracy that the Hi Point provides.
    I state that because I also have the JR Carbine in 9 and 45 at double the price; and mine use the glock mags, which means more capacity.
    I also have the CZ Evo 3 at three times the price which use CZ mags.

The HiPoints are a keep it simple carbine, or you can dump money into it for extra rails, scope etc..
    Ultimately its up to you.

Safe shopping.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ATI stock

Have had one for years. You can shoot tennis balls at 25 yards all day long with it. Reliable, accurate, simple, only down side is the 10 round factory mag (or that new hideous long one they came out with). But it was designed to comply with the Clinton Ban so that's why. You can always get the ATI Beretta-type stock to remove some of the fugly factor.

I got one from Amazon for like $70 a year or so ago. I do not have the 99ts yet. I also saw that the ATI works easily with the older non TS models. To use with the newer models, some cutting of the stock needs to be done..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Hi Point is usable with stock irons, or optic . The CX4 is very awkard to use the stock iron sights, essentially requiring an optic .

If you always put an optic regardless, not an issue . But to me decent irons are well suited for PCC within their generally accepted distances, and I like simple and rugged .

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    The Hi Point is usable with stock irons, or optic . The CX4 is very awkard to use the stock iron sights, essentially requiring an optic .

If you always put an optic regardless, not an issue . But to me decent irons are well suited for PCC within their generally accepted distances, and I like simple and rugged .

I see your point, with my eyes I'm fine with my CX4 in bright daylight, but afternoon when the sun is setting I have issues.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I had one that shot the 40cal. It would go boom all day long no mater what kind of junk ammo you might be using. Very easy to clean,reliable and never had any trouble with any of the mags as well. For the price I paid for mine I was very happy until I had to sell mine. Get one you will be glad you did...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom