• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    2.1.8.2 Large caliber weapons:
    Certain destructive devices may also meet the definition of machinegun because in addition to having a bore diameter of more than one-half inch the weapons are capable of fully automatic fire. ATF treats NFA firearms of this type as both machineguns and destructive devices. The weapons are coded as machineguns in the NFRTR with an annotation that they are also destructive devices. Any such weapons manufactured on or after May 19, 1986 are subject to 18U.S.C. 922(o). In instances where a weapon of this type is being transferred, it is imperative that State and local laws where the weapon is being transferred do not prohibit possession of destructive devices or machineguns.

Right. I have never seen one papered as a two stamp gun, and nothing in that section states that there is another stamp due; it is just annotated in the NFRTR. It is a machinegun, and also a DD by virtue of the bore diameter. Much in the way that MG status trumps SBR status when considering a single device. A MAC is still a one stamp gun, not one for being full auto and one for being short barreled. In fact, the only two stamp guns I have seen are either an unmarried SBR & mg conversion device combination, or something along the lines of the MP5SD mg/suppressor combination.
    I witnessed this same discussion about that same MK19 about 10 years ago, and if I recall correctly, it was a one stamp gun. I think it's the only MK19 in the registry.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have a ton of those 40mm chalk rounds, a blast to lob down range, but not much payoff when they land.

Hey that thing is still cheaper than a Mini-Gun. ;)

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Right. I have never seen one papered as a two stamp gun, and nothing in that section states that there is another stamp due; it is just annotated in the NFRTR. It is a machinegun, and also a DD by virtue of the bore diameter. Much in the way that MG status trumps SBR status when considering a single device. A MAC is still a one stamp gun, not one for being full auto and one for being short barreled. In fact, the only two stamp guns I have seen are either an unmarried SBR & mg conversion device combination, or something along the lines of the MP5SD mg/suppressor combination.
    I witnessed this same discussion about that same MK19 about 10 years ago, and if I recall correctly, it was a one stamp gun. I think it's the only MK19 in the registry.

I thought I remember that Bofors listed for around $140K and was listed as requiring 2 stamps. I could be wrong though.

I thought it was more like a full auto mp5sd or suppressed sten. A machine gun that also requires a stamp for the suppressor.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I thought I remember that Bofors listed for around $140K and was listed as requiring 2 stamps. I could be wrong though.

I thought it was more like a full auto mp5sd or suppressed sten. A machine gun that also requires a stamp for the suppressor.

Ah, hell, when someone's shelling out over $100K for a gun, what's another $200 anyway? I don't recall if that Bofors actually sold.

Come to think of it, I know a guy with an Oerlikon. I'll ask him if it was a one stamp or two stamp gun.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Let us know, I am interested.

I am about 99% that Vince is correct that its a one stamp gun.

Its only odd in the way that the DD and MG regs must be followed. However MG regs still dictate as you can not form 1 one of these today as a transferable gun. Frankly for the most part it does not make any difference. Maybe a little more trouble to find a SOT that can transfer it and I guess some states might only allow MGs and not DDs but probably not many.

The only way you get a two stamp gun is to have two "receivers" or registered parts. On a MP5SD, the suppressor receiver does not become part of the MG receiver and so is two stamps. Also adding a Grenade Laucher to a MG will still be a two stamp gun. On a MG, you can added a SBR host but even then the MG controls and the SBR stamp is meaningless unless you separate the two again. In other words you could switch the host from a regular firearm to a SBR without adding a stamp. You only need the stamp when separating them again.

In this case you still only have one receiver. So one stamp. Its the one exception to the ATF tier system where once you move up a level, you don't have to worry about the tier restrictions below. Here you move from a DD to a MG but still have to follow DD regs. Its because it still meets both definitions where a SBR is only a semi, so once you move to FA, its no longer a SBR.

Frankly this all gets back to why MSP is screwing up the SB281 when calling a SBR an Copy Cat of an assault rifle. Its no longer a rifle, its an SBR.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    The only way you get a two stamp gun is to have two "receivers" or registered parts. On a MP5SD, the suppressor receiver does not become part of the MG receiver and so is two stamps.

An MP5SD can also be a 3 stamp package depending upon how it's papered. SBR, Can, & Sear.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    me-likey-thumb.jpg

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Anyone want to do a MK19 timeshare? Establish a trust with 275 beneficiaries, each contributing $1k? eh- bad math this morning. Everyone gets it for a day and half each year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom