• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Sorry, my kid went to buy his first gun.

exploits_of_a_mom.png

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Why do I sense the shivers of a MGA bill for re-registering..... both handguns, and if LQL passes, long guns too?

Meh, who cares. WNC. So refreshing and freeing. Almost like living in America.

We are releasing. The buyers have an HQL. What more is needed? It's a pain with the extra scanning of forms, but not a big deal.

And we still have a few guns for sale :)

And that's why you get at least 99% of my business.

It was Black Anchor Armory in Denton.

If they were closer then maybe BBP dropping to 98% of my business...

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Ya, I get that too. It sucks, because I like them a lot, but it makes me think twice about buying from them again should something like this happen again. Nothing I can do about it now though, sadly.

Get your money back and start over with someone else

DPSC is not releasing much info about this. They are just saying their technicians are working on it and there is no ETA.

No ETA is always a bad sign. I can't imagine what could have gone wrong for it to take this long and not have an ETA. I'm thinking there was a databreach or unauthorized access and they aren't turning things back on until they find the source. Its not even their database its NCICs database and DPSC is just facilitating the connection.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    We are releasing. The buyers have an HQL. What more is needed? It's a pain with the extra scanning of forms, but not a big deal.

And we still have a few guns for sale :)

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

AND THAT IS WHY, Baltimore's Best/Elite Firearms is the best. This is not a paid advertisement... I truly believe that Dan, Joel, Ken, and Mike are the best dealers in the state. Rock on, guys! :party29:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    DPSC is not releasing much info about this. They are just saying their technicians are working on it and there is no ETA.

No ETA is always a bad sign. I can't imagine what could have gone wrong for it to take this long and not have an ETA. I'm thinking there was a databreach or unauthorized access and they aren't turning things back on until they find the source. Its not even their database its NCICs database and DPSC is just facilitating the connection.

Or it could be that the DPSC server farm got pwn3d and NCIC shut them out. And now they're trying desperately to fix it. Don't forget that MSP/DPSC also accesses ~10 other databases that also may potentially be screwed up if DPSC is the source node.

Also recall that another govt database of police officer PII was hacked recently...

Shaner

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019

I would imagine they got hit with ransomware, or had a failure without backups.

No ETA either means they are still trying to diagnose the problem, which 3 days in is unlikely, OR they are unable to recover quickly due to being locked out of their systems, or they had systems fail with no backups to revert to.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    So...
    Does this database contain info on previous 77r purchases? If so, someone or someone’s may have info on gun owners in Maryland. Even if it just records background checks, it could be deduced that said people own guns. If this is the case, could having the info in the ether be G & S? Just thinking abstractly

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I would imagine they got hit with ransomware, or had a failure without backups.

No ETA either means they are still trying to diagnose the problem, which 3 days in is unlikely, OR they are unable to recover quickly due to being locked out of their systems, or they had systems fail with no backups to revert to.

Or, they had some power distribution hardware flame out, and aren't on a contract that gets it ripped out and replaced in hours, but rather in days ... because, lowest bidder, etc.

Or they're still using an out of date load balancer or other key piece of network infrastructure that was set up in a way they can't easily piece back together without some fresh engineering, and nobody wanted to pay in advance for being ready for that.

So many possibilities because there are SO many failure points in an environment like that (carriers, power, HVAC, wide and local network interfaces, security systems, the applications, the back end databases, storage, management people ... a lot to go wrong. Full redundancy or a viable commitment to getting it back on its feet in short order costs a lot of money, in advance, all the time, every month, like insurance.

So...
    Does this database contain info on previous 77r purchases? If so, someone or someone’s may have info on gun owners in Maryland. Even if it just records background checks, it could be deduced that said people own guns. If this is the case, could having the info in the ether be G & S? Just thinking abstractly
    This is the system that's effected: https://mcp.maryland.gov/Directive Manual/3-109.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom