• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    This would be great! I figured that you guys in the reloading community might be testing load characteristics including muzzle speed every so often.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Some do, some don't. It all depends on if they are able to use a chrono at the range they frequent.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The Sub2k just cries for the Glock 33 round mags. I bought a few when I was in Alabama. I brought them home in checked luggage. No issues.
    PSA had them on sale recently. I understand they will ship to PA....:innocent0

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The Sub2k just cries for the Glock 33 round mags. I bought a few when I was in Alabama. I brought them home in checked luggage. No issues.

Gotta say, in a tactical use, 33 rounders would be awful.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

Yes. I can attest to this. They run very well in my Gen 1 Subby.

I want a Gen 2, but not really willing to pay 500 smackers for it.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I wonder if any one got desperate enough and shortened the grip in order to use all their 19 mags?
    Have dremel, will mod. :)

Quick answer...

Yes.

Longer answer...

There are a few folks who have dremel cut the grips to shorten the G 17 version, allowing it to accept the G 19 magazines.

Just do a search on YouTube and pick a video to watch.

Here is one in 4 parts...
    1) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3N1JGPTok
    2) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSroKZ2qgU
    3) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EcftpXAW9-8
    4) {final product... This guy leaves a bit of material on the back of the grip which covers the back of the magazine when fully inserted.} https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UKvUsJO3iEQ

The only difference between the two versions (G 17 vs. G 19) is • the length of the grip/frame.
    AND...
    • VERY Careful cutting of the Gen1 is advised... It is the serialized part of the rifle.

Screw it up and you must buy a replacement through an FFL.

The Gen2 has the serial number on the reciever tube... and the grip/frame parts don't require an FFL to order.

The G 17 grip must be cut to about 1/4 inch from the lowest assembly screw on the grip (see photo below). It will not change the function of the rifle in any way other than to allow the use of the shorter G 19 magazines. But again... CAREFUL cutting is advised if it is to look like you did it right. And if any more than just the right amount of material is removed... it won't look good. The cut needs to be completed in such a way that the magazine well remains square to the base plate of the magazine.

image.jpeg

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Because they are too long. It makes the rifle difficult to use in some positions. Try taking a position where there is low cover... and you need to prone out behind it. To take a shot, you would possibly need to expose your head to the enemy. Not a tactically sound thing to do.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Portability. Reliability. You get fifteen deep and the mag takes a crap. You're throwing ammo away. Carrying extra mags is not viable. Tough manipulating it from a vehicle. Just saying this because most are saying they use these for a "truck gun".
    Sitting on your porch out in the woods, have at it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Because they are too long. It makes the rifle difficult to use in some positions. Try taking a position where there is low cover... and you need to prone out behind it. To take a shot, you would possibly need to expose your head to the enemy. Not a tactically sound thing to do.

Even then, if you have to prone out and shoot under a barrier, you are best served in rolling on your side to shoot the weapon. Personally, I would rather trust my life to a 15 round Glock OEM mag than put my life on the line with a 22-33 roung Glock OEM mag.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Well, I bit the bullet and bought one from tombstone for $500. No it's not a screaming deal but it's cheaper than I've found in stock anywhere else and the election is creeping closer so I doubt I see them getting any cheaper.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Was in Gunrunners Friday. Bob has one (G17 2nd gen) that someone put on consignment for $600. Yikes! I want one, but not that much.

Also kind of thinking about doing a built with one of these.
    If GunBroker is any indication, with shipping and transfer, it's not much under that number. However, Slickguns alerts might get you one in around $450 from one of the internet retailers. I lucked out with one from Buds (available for minutes after the alert) for less, but haven't found that good a deal since.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Lowest priced Gen 2 G17 on GunBroker currently ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583144979

Buy now for $495 - no credit card - USPS money order only

$20 shipping

17-rd Magpul Glock mag in the box

Much more reasonable than other vendors that are $550 and higher (when setting a reserve or Buy Now price).

There are a couple being bid on right now that are under $400 but will rise in price before bidding ends in two days.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Was in Field & Stream outside Harrisburg PA and they had two in the glass case in the corner (G17 versions). Tried to buy one and found out that this is "illegal in MD".

Asked him to make sure and he told me store policy was to not sell to out of state residents anyway, but I'm thinking it was probably because I wasn't interested in the "tactical pack" with a case, extra mag, and 500 rounds of PMC 9mm for $700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom