• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Out riding my bike today and stopped at Bay Pro Shop. Was informed by the sales clerk, today is their last day, many items on sale. Shit, their ammo even with $5 off is still too high.

Hate to see any small business close their doors, especially a sport shop. Don't know anything about the management, but ammo prices are high.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    If it's the one on 260, right off 4 then yes been there over 20 years. I used to get bait,tackle from them going down to solomons. I hate to see a place like that close, but a lot of fishing/hunting business in that area have gone away. Calvert doesn't have the sportsman it used to and more "City" folks have moved down to SoMd..so no surprise.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Always meant to stop in that shop, never did, guess I never will. Tuff to be brick and mortar stores these days, with the ease of shopping on the internet. Thankful to have GymRatz nearby, and doing my best to help support them.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    That place was pretty cool

Lots of archery stuff back in the day

They had guns but not a lotta selection and were funny acting when you bought one

Sad to see them go though, not much to chose from in Calvert for buying sporting goods

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If it's the one on 260, right off 4 then yes been there over 20 years. I used to get bait,tackle from them going down to solomons. I hate to see a place like that close, but a lot of fishing/hunting business in that area have gone away. Calvert doesn't have the sportsman it used to and more "City" folks have moved down to SoMd..so no surprise.

I wonder if the city folks moving to the area know how much money for nature conservation originated from that shop(and all hunting/gun/fishing shops for that matter)

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I wonder if the city folks moving to the area know how much money for nature conservation originated from that shop(and all hunting/gun/fishing shops for that matter)

Seriously doubt it. The current society is taught hunting and firearms are evil, their kids are not introduced to the outdoors and nature but instead they live on X-Box and I Phones. I remember when old man Tyler ran his Tackle shop in North Beach and you could swim/fish there. Now it is a "Resort" filled with tourist.
    Hell I liked North beach better when it was a biker town.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    The young professionals down here associated to the base are more interested in Beerfest or pub crawls than hunting or fishing. Alot of our fishing business come from people driving 2-3 hours from all over Maryland and Virginia. Add the active duty personnel who just move into the area that come from hunting backgrounds.
    Unfortunately, the young professionals outnumber the rest.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I grew up in Dunkirk. Spent many hours in the Bay Pro Shop. Always loved swinging by after opening day of deer season and seeing what everyone got. (back in the day when you had to physically check in deer) I bought a ton of archery and fishing stuff from them. I remember they had a laser sight in tool (back when they first came out) the laser target was across 260 on the hill. People would complain about them pointing a gun across the road.

Oct 4, 2017
    Wow. Grew up in Dunkirk and still live in the area. It was always a blast to check the place out. That was always our go to when we wanted hunting supplies or needed our CO2 tanks filled for paintball. Hard to believe it wont be there any more.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Wow. Grew up in Dunkirk and still live in the area. It was always a blast to check the place out. That was always our go to when we wanted hunting supplies or needed our CO2 tanks filled for paintball. Hard to believe it wont be there any more.
    Nice! Back in my day we had to drive up to C&EJs in Lothian to fill up CO2. and half the time he was out.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Tyler's is in Chesapeake Beach and George Klein still owns it.
    Wish I knew about Bay Pro I would have like to check them out.

Yes, Technically it is in Chesapeake Beach by a few blocks. Klein bought it from Tyler, don't know if he is still alive but he was living in Capitol Hgts and still selling lures. Tyler's is now more of a Crab House than sporting good shop and that was my point.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Talked with Ron (owner) on Saturday, didn't want to close but numbers had gradually dropped to where it wasn't profitable anymore. He hinted that it was hard competing with Amazon and Walmart.

He is going to keep his FFL and do transfers. He was planning to have an office in the same area above the store.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I've been going to Bay Pro for 20 years. I had a lot of my archery work done by them, but on most things their prices were crazy high. I don't mind paying more to support a local business but not if it means I am being gouged. Last bigger ticket thing I went in there to buy was a Savage 220. They wanted $200 more than what I could get it for at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Noticed the other day that they were closed up when I stopped by 7 Eleven. I hadn't been in because I wasn't really in the market for anything but nearly everyone I spoke to said the prices were very high, which caused them to buy elsewhere. It's tough to compete today when everyone can compare prices in an instant on their phone. Sucks losing a local shop but its going to keep happening unless they adapt.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I won't miss that place.
    Prices were high.
    I only had one good experience with there customer service. Every other time it sucked.
    They seemed to have a very Fudd oriented view and selection of rifles.
    Per a good friend of mine they tried to rip him off on transfer fees in 2013. He said the agreed to do a transfer on an AR for &75 that he was ordering online. He said when went to pick it up the told him it was a $150 transfer fee and refused to ship it to another Ff's. He said the told him pay new the fee or it was now their rifle. If that is how they did business they deserve to shut down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom