• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Since Squaregrouper started bumping classic threads here is another one for the new year. Noobs should start reading at post #7.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Flashbacks.

Where's the thread about riding the charging handle home to help the bolt close more quickly? :lol:

If Tractorboy starts posting in the classifieds I'm deleting my account. :lol2:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Flashbacks.

Where's the thread about riding the charging handle home to help the bolt close more quickly? :lol:

Lmao. Between this thread and the charging handle one, those might be the two greatest mds threads of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Anytime I see someone type in all capital letters, I automatically think of good ol' slug man.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Flashbacks.

Riding the Charging Handle.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4217415#post4217415

Enjoy.
    This is just the beginning, It keeps going.

I did not say that the Forward Assist was "unreliable"....I said that using the FA for putting the bolt fully into battery from a press check is unadvisable, because you have to relinquish control {for a right hander} of the firearm. It's better to use the charging handle to send the bolt fully into battery from a press check or if the bolt didn't go fully into battery; because of it being fouled.

Even left handers will find it's more difficult to use the FA than the charging handle.

My major point...that I'm trying to get across: It's better to use the charging handle --- for a right hander --- with a press check and bringing the bolt fully into battery, because if you're performing this operation when some bad guys appear --- you still have full control of the AR with your firing hand --- Whether it's safety manipulation or just pulling the trigger, with the firing hand still wrapped around the pistol grip, and being able to mount the gun to your shoulder in a reasonable amount of time.

Using the forward assist, when time is critical, is an unwise move, in which a extra move is required {moving the FA}, that will cost precious seconds in a critical situation.

Huh? How do you use the charging handle to put the bolt into battery? If you perform a press check by slightly pulling back on the CH until you see brass, then release the CH and the bolt doesn't go back into battery, how can you use the CH to seat the bolt? Press harder on the CH? It doesn't work that way. The CH pulls the BCG to the rear and the energy from the buffer spring sends it forward. The CH cannot push the BCG forward. In that case, you could pull the CH all the way back (ejecting a live round) and then release, OR simply tap the FA. As far as using the FA when time is critical, I'll disagree that it's an "unwise" move. Look up the SPORTS acronym. It's an immediate action drill following a malfunction. The T stands for "tap" the forward assist. If your bolt is slightly out of battery after press checking, tapping the FA would be my first action. And if you're in a critical situation when seconds count, you probably waited too long to press check. Last comment about press checking: it's unnecessary. Look at the top round in your mag, load and chamber a round. Eject the mag, look at the top round. If it's on the opposite side, there's a round in the chamber.

While doing a press check, you don't release the CH, but instead, "after seeing brass...you drive the CH forward with your hand till the bolt is fully seated."

quote: Chris Costa -- DVD- The Art of the Tactical Carbine - Volume II

A nighttime press check by Costa is a little different maneuver, but he still does not suggest using the FA --- instead --- he says to put one of your firing hand fingers on the BCG indentation in the ejection port to feel if the bolt is fully seated into battery --- if not -- you can push that indentation forward to fully seat the bolt.

It's pretty hard to find that Magpul DVD that I described...because of the one's that were sold --- did not function very well...on the second and third disc. Fortunately...someone made me copies.

Most times...I'm too lazy to eject the mag to see the see the odd or even in relation to my round count --- including the noise involved in such a maneuver. meh

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom