• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    First batch is on it's 4th loading now. Primer pockets are still snug, brass hasn't 'grown' much during .260 duty - trimming has been minimal.

Picked up another 45 or so pieces the other day at the range, won't hesitate to press those into .260 service.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I lost track of how much 9mm perfecta brass I have. Since it's no longer $7 a box, perhaps now would be a good time for me to get into reloading ;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    First batch, on it's 6th loading. Pockets still in good shape, good neck tension during bullet seating, trimming has been minimal. No signs of thinning so far.

Aside from the crimp, this hasn't been bad brass.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Never thought I'd say it, but the Perfecta brass has outlasted the Federal brass.

Federal - 7 loadings, went for an 8th but the pockets were opening up to the point where I could start to seat a primer by hand - so they are done.

I am genuinely surprised by that.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Couldn't say, haven't measured them.

I just load 'em and shoot 'em. Since there isn't a lot of options for real shooting in this area (500+ yards), I haven't felt the need to start checking volumes and sorting out case weights for the distances I have available to me.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    National Rifleman had an article years back about off center flash holes. It was using LC brass in 30-06 caliber. The reloaded the same brass through 5 loading, using proper case prep for each cycle. The compared it to LC brass with centered flash holes. The results indicated there was not difference in load performance.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    **Necro thread revival**

Finally retiring my lots of Perfecta .308 that were converted for .260 duty. Into the 16th/17th loading for the majority of what I'd collected - including the original firing in .308. Primer pockets are getting loose, could probably squeak another range trip out of them, but I'm going to play it safe and toss them. Can't push a primer in by finger/hand, but the felt resistance has definitely led me to believe they're finally approaching end-life.

Have to say, genuinely surprised. They've held up just as well as my converted PPU 243/308 brass. Left Federal for dead. And my Remington 260 brass hasn't impressed me, at all - had some that separated after the 4th/5th loading, some made it to 7/8 loadings and then the pockets opened up to the point of seeping noticeably. I'm still holding my Lapua brass in reserve.

Maybe all the effort I put in helped with their longevity? I couldn't say. I can say that I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, if I had to. Resizing, turning the necks, and annealing is more effort than Id like to put in (in a perfect world), but I can't argue with my results.

HWB3

Jan 18, 2017
    Ellicott City
    My son gave me a Harvey Deprimer hand held tool that will punch any caliber case as long as it's boxer primed. Because you manually slip the tool into the case and find the flash hole with the decapping pin it should still work if the hole is off-center. Roger Harvey, Harvey Deprimer, 115 Airport Road, Lebanon, OR 97355. Great part is you can do this while away from the reloading bench.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    **Necro thread bump, again**

Last 50 pieces of converted Perfecta .308 were tossed today. Known good load, under my pressure ceiling, bolt was starting to stick on lift/extraction. No pressure signs, primers were beautiful. Thought I had tossed all of them, apparently I still had a 50 round box of them loaded up and ready to go.

Most of my converted NATO brass is holding up well, I'm interested to see what the longevity turns out to be.

Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    Perfecta Brass

The ammunition is made by Fiocchi for Tula Arms. Only calibre I have fired is 45 230 Ball and have reloaded the brass with no issues. Perhaps the rifle ammo has crimped primer pockets.

I also use RCBS decapping dies which seem to be a bit beefier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom