• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I found a couple of older sparse threads on this topic, but I thought I'd start a new thread that would hopefully garner some additional, more current information.

The main reason I started looking into this is because my son had a jacket that he loved that was basically a very cheap M65 knockoff, but it didn't hold up at all. It has long outlived it's service life because it simply wasn't made well. I recognized that it was an Army field jacket knock off, and initially I thought about seeing if I couldn't find a real vintage field jacket in olive drab, and then I realized that there are about a dozen or so different companies that make them.

So, do we have any folks on the board here who are fans of the M65 field jacket? I'm trying to figure out:

1.) What are the reputable companies that make them? Alpha Industries comes up a lot on Google as being an original maker for the military. Are they any good?

2.) Are there any walk-in sources so that we could try them on for size before buying? I live in Glen Burnie/Central Maryland.

3.) Any tips on sizing? My son is tall - 6 ft - and fairly thin and lean with long arms. He typically wears M-L, depending on the cut of what he's trying on.

4.) Brands to avoid?

5.) Miscellaneous tips

Wongler

Nov 6, 2013
    Carlisle, PA
    I went to a few Army surplus stores, they usually had some Alpha jackets you could try for size.
    I’ve also seen Urban Outfitters carry Alpha before, but now that it’s summer they may not stock them.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I picked one up a few years back with the liner in Tiger Stripe camo on ebay for about $70. I think its a Rothco. It's ok but not like the original surplus that you could pick up at Sunny's back in the day.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    From what I can see, bang for the buck, either Rothco or Alpha Industries seems to be the way to go, but with the Alpha Industries, there seems to be a caveat that USA Made is much more highly preferred than imported.

I'll have to see if I can find some local or semi-local retailers who stock them.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    I have 2 (OD and Tiger Stripe) in 3XL from Rothco. I purchased them on sale over a year ago and never wore them. I'm no longer that size, so they are just sitting in my closet. Let me know if you want them.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I appreciate the offer, but for him we're probably looking at Medium/Long and for me, Large/Long, if they are sized one size too big. I typically wear XL and he likes a small, so 3XL wouldn't work.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    The real military ones are great. I had one last 15+ years of constant use.
    Alpha was one of the main contractors.

That said, I would not buy a newly manufactured one on a bet. They are not the same as the military spec ones, even if made by Alpha or Rothco.

If I wanted to replace my old M65 I would start hunting on ebay for a real one. Or a surplus store for a used one.

The OD ones are spendy, the woodland pattern ones seem to go for less.

Personally, I always preferred the M51 to the M65. I accumulated several on eBay many years ago before they all turned to gold.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I use to have an OD one, then a couple woodlands. They're a decent two season jacket, but not that great for winter unless you have the liner. Rothco would be your knockoffs. You may find some at the location linked. It's a surplus and camping etc type store in Waldorf. Similar to the old Sunny's Surplus.

http://www.beaconsurplus.com/index-2.html

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got a camo version a few years ago when I went to a local thrift shop. It even came with the liner. At some point, the older guys who have these end up giving them away or their wives donate them to thrift stores.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have always owned, at least one, since I was a teenager. They are great for snow removal, you just need to spray them with a water proofing compound for rain.

:thumbsup:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I have always owned, at least one, since I was a teenager. They are great for snow removal, you just need to spray them with a water proofing compound for rain.

:thumbsup:

Yep, bunch of us had them. Was a Surplus store at Cordell Ave & Wisconsin, forget the name of it. I liked the Tropical jacket, with four big pockets too. I may still have a OD WWII trench coat, that thing is heavy. Navy Pea Coat is great as well and what I use now.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I got a camo version a few years ago when I went to a local thrift shop. It even came with the liner. At some point, the older guys who have these end up giving them away or their wives donate them to thrift stores.
    I had two woodland camo issue army field jackets issued in 1989 that I sold clear back around 2001 not long after I left active duty Army. We did a neighborhood yard sale, and according to my wife, they were like the first thing to sell. Now I know why!

There's definitely a style aspect of this with my son - they pretty much have to be OD rather than a camo pattern.

Thanks for all of the info and keeping this thread going. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom