What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Loaded 50 148 grain .38 Special wadcutters. Loaded an additional 25 with the wadcutter seated backward, to try the old "defense load" from way back when.

FGT1958

I was fighting with a Lee Progressive and eyeballing Ebay for something in blue. Well, I managed to score this 550B with alot of extra parts. Now I just have to get organized and get space cleared out to mount it up and start using it!

Apologies, after trying 3 times I can't get the images rotated!

Attachments

• DSCN1396.jpg
      DSCN1396.jpg
      93.3 KB · Views: 253
    • DSCN1397.jpg
      DSCN1397.jpg
      97.7 KB · Views: 214

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Nice find on the blue press.
    Rainy day reloading resulted in loading 300- 6.8 and 600-6x45. Finished those up this morning and patiently waiting for 2 blackhole weaponry barrels for builds. Another in 6mm and one 30 cal.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I was fighting with a Lee Progressive and eyeballing Ebay for something in blue. Well, I managed to score this 550B with alot of extra parts. Now I just have to get organized and get space cleared out to mount it up and start using it!

Apologies, after trying 3 times I can't get the images rotated!

nice dillon but Im feeling the need to show love for the wood working hand tools

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Did you use anchors? Which screws? The blue masonry ones? Mine is on carpet over cement, and up against a cinderblock wall.

Yep, the blue Tapcon 1/4" x 2 3/4" screws with phillips head. Drilled out cinder block with 3/16" masonry bit. Used my impact driver to put the screw right in, though a good drill would work too. I prefer the impact driver for things like this.

Since your bench is on carpet (like mine), you probably don't need to do floor anchors either.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    -20 new 9.3x57 loaded up with 270 grain Speers
    -Worked up a new 9mm load for my Glock 34 that has a light spring. (Changed from S & B primers to Remington 1 1/2. S & Bs are cheap, but must be a little hard. Hopefully these fix the light strike since I like the trigger)
    -Formed 50 8x57 into 49 9.3x57 Mauser -- yep, one split.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Cried... just kidding... we moved into a new house last Fall and the "workbench" area has become the dumping/staging area for just about every task in the house. My goal is to have my reloading bench up and functional for the summer...

Nov 19, 2015
    Carney
    Getting ready for a range day next weekend, so I'm making black powder 12 gauge loads for my old 1880's Hardware store shotgun.

zRVVC4x.jpg

Mild 2½ dram FFg loads with 1oz 7.5 lead shot.

MG in MD

Feb 11, 2016
    Linthicum
    Got my bench anchored to the wall. Huge improvement!!

I used anchors instead of the masonry screws, thinking they may withstand the repeated stress better.

Now I’m working on a flexible press mounting system. Trying to work out the details, but keeping it simple. This is the style I’m going for:

https://youtu.be/IsAQ-AObp4w

MG in MD

Feb 11, 2016
    Linthicum
    All I know that every one of the ones that I didn't chamfer just crushed. I put a light chamfer on the rest and they pressed in cleanly. A light crimp and I was good to go. :thumbsup:

Hard to tell without seeing it, but it sounds like maybe the case mouth was flared too much.

What are you using to flare the mouth? Might try backing it out till you can both seat the projectile and not crush the case, and avoid the chamfer step.

Since 9mm headspaces on the case mouth, chamfering plus crimping could lead to a round that slips past the chamber into the barrel, resulting in a ftf and possibly getting stuck.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Are you using fiber and cork wads or modern plastic? Plastic with BP left a lot of plastic snot in my bores. Spray brake cleaner took it out though.
    Crimping the hulls or cardboard cover with glue or waterglass?
    Looks like a pretty stock for a hardware store $5 gun.

Nov 19, 2015
    Carney
    Are you using fiber and cork wads or modern plastic? Plastic with BP left a lot of plastic snot in my bores. Spray brake cleaner took it out though.
    Crimping the hulls or cardboard cover with glue or waterglass?
    Looks like a pretty stock for a hardware store $5 gun.

I use sheep's wool roving for the wadding (Something I picked up from a Duelist1954 video...I think) and a overshot card with waterglass. The load works very well and is easy on the barrels. Yeah, the wood is really nice and for being at least 120 years old she's in really good condition.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom